SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

5 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

God help us I don't want to go back to the days of half the people wanting one QB (Mollberg) and half the people wanting the other QB (Bartels).  I do get what you are saying though that in your situation they would both be so good we wouldn't know who to start, instead of the opposite of that which is what we had.  Even with that said.....I think it's important for the team to have 1 true starter and leader the team can rally behind, and you can have that even if the backup is really good.  Look how good Wentz was, and he was on the bench when Jensen was there, I don't believe people were calling for Wentz to come in if Jensen through a pick.

Amen...part of the problem with the Mollberg/Bartles divide was that neither QB ever consistently showed that they wanted the job (you'd see flashes...then stretches of poor play).  Ideally I'd like to see one QB a year, so that any QB has at least two years in the system before they get a start (and ideally three).  It worked well with Wentz...and should be the standard here.  I also agree with UND-FB-FAN that we need more competition for roles on the offensive side...and that'll continue to come with more depth.  Last year we had something like 4 OL scholarship recruits, and 2 PWOs (it could have been 5/1...I can't remember).  If we can develop those players, it'll be huge for this squad going forward.  I know the prior coaching staff could recruit receivers...but they didn't do much in the way of development on either side outside of that position group.  I'd much rather take the roster that we have today...and continue to build towards a more complete team.

31 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

God help us I don't want to go back to the days of half the people wanting one QB (Mollberg) and half the people wanting the other QB (Bartels).  I do get what you are saying though that in your situation they would both be so good we wouldn't know who to start, instead of the opposite of that which is what we had.  Even with that said.....I think it's important for the team to have 1 true starter and leader the team can rally behind, and you can have that even if the backup is really good.  Look how good Wentz was, and he was on the bench when Jensen was there, I don't believe people were calling for Wentz to come in if Jensen threw a pick. 

People absolutly were calling for Wentz. Bisonville was set ablaze with Wentz mania from the time he was a rs fr. He was better than Brock but Brock was winning. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree. This, to a degree, lines up with my last post above. 

Although I am not advocating for fans to be upset and always calling for backups, I do strongly believe UND needs to simply improve the talent in the two-deep. With that, the competition will naturally improve the capability of the starters.

The few places on this team where we see this is running back, defensive line, and linebacker; not coincidentally, those spots are the most complete and productive. 

The second part of my post was tongue and cheek.... Kinda of

On September 28, 2016 at 0:21 PM, geaux_sioux said:

People absolutly were calling for Wentz. Bisonville was set ablaze with Wentz mania from the time he was a rs fr. He was better than Brock but Brock was winning. 

Depth, depth. That is what depth looks like. It didn't hurt that the QB's your talking about were both All Americans and one now the early leader for NFL rookie of the year. I was really hoping we'd see Studs development continue, especially after how hot he ended the year last year. But he is really tight throughout the first half of the game. His growth seems to have tailed off. I think it hurts that Clive is out, that the line hasn't come together. I am hoping that he can get hot earlier in the game because we really need him to take the team on his back. Our defense is most effective when we can pin our ears back and have opposing offenses in predictable situations and playing from behind all the time is going to wear them out. 

10 hours ago, Parkers Pros said:

Depth, depth. That is what depth looks like. It didn't hurt that the QB's your talking about were both All Americans and one now the early leader for NFL rookie of the year. I was really hoping we'd see Studs development continue, especially after how hot he ended the year last year. But he is really tight throughout the first half of the game. His growth seems to have tailed off. I think it hurts that Clive is out, that the line hasn't come together. I am hoping that he can get hot earlier in the game because we really need him to take the team on his back. Our defense is most effective when we can pin our ears back and have opposing offenses in predictable situations and playing from behind all the time is going to wear them out. 

Studsrud has no backup pushing him this season. That wasn't the case last year because he had to beat out Bartels and Mollberg in fall camp. Just a theory of mine. Now, being its game 5, hopefully Studsrud and his young receivers will start making some plays.

14 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Studsrud has no backup pushing him this season. That wasn't the case last year because he had to beat out Bartels and Mollberg in fall camp. Just a theory of mine. Now, being its game 5, hopefully Studsrud and his young receivers will start making some plays.

Perhaps they read the chat cause they were awesome today!

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 6:31 PM, nodakhoops said:

These might be some names to watch in ND.

Tyrell Harris - Dickinson

Chase Teiken, Brandon Metz, Zac Willis  - West Fargo

Colton Cook - Minot

Hayden Reynolds- WF Shey

Dillan Jepson - Killdeer

Jackson Hankey - Park River

Wyatt Carr - Hazen

Calen Schwabe - Thompson

Jake Ihland - Richland

Cody Mauch - Hankinson

Hofer Twins - Larimore

Does anyone have any word on any of these ND kids?  We know about Metz & Willis at NDSU, and I heard Wyatt Carr is going to UMary to play BBB.  Teiken is an absolute beast for West Fargo and he has the size to play RB or LB in college.  I've also seen Cody Mauch play from Hankinson, he's 6'5 about 230.  Has great hands at TE, can block,  and is a beast at DE.  He's also playing some QB this Fall because their regular QB has shoulder issues, so he's a proven athlete & rare talent.  He threw a hail mary in one game over 60 yards on a rope.  These are two of the top high school talents that I've seen this year.  

Cody's hudl page from last year - http://www.hudl.com/profile/6135662/cody-mauch

On October 4, 2016 at 3:01 PM, 97SiouxAlum said:

Does anyone have any word on any of these ND kids?  We know about Metz & Willis at NDSU, and I heard Wyatt Carr is going to UMary to play BBB.  Teiken is an absolute beast for West Fargo and he has the size to play RB or LB in college.  I've also seen Cody Mauch play from Hankinson, he's 6'5 about 230.  Has great hands at TE, can block,  and is a beast at DE.  He's also playing some QB this Fall because their regular QB has shoulder issues, so he's a proven athlete & rare talent.  He threw a hail mary in one game over 60 yards on a rope.  These are two of the top high school talents that I've seen this year.  

Cody's hudl page from last year - http://www.hudl.com/profile/6135662/cody-mauch

Teiken was here this past weekend along with 3 or 4 Fargo South players. Schwabe from Thompson has been on campus as well. 

• Upvote 1

I will be very interested to see what Mckinney can do when he gets here. He absolutely has the speed that could be very fun to watch, but does he have the physicality? We'll have to see how he adjusts to the D1 level, but I hope we can see similar things to what we have see from Santiago, let the kid run and find holes, but also hit him with some passes.... basically just find the kid a little space to make some plays.

One thing that I don't think we will know until he is here and playing is his natural instincts as a runner. It is something that we have seen with Santiago. He has this natural instinct to make the smallest moves to make guys miss. His stutter step against Wyoming last year comes to mind. He just has good football smarts. Hope Mckinney can provide something similar.

43 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I will be very interested to see what Mckinney can do when he gets here. He absolutely has the speed that could be very fun to watch, but does he have the physicality? We'll have to see how he adjusts to the D1 level, but I hope we can see similar things to what we have see from Santiago, let the kid run and find holes, but also hit him with some passes.... basically just find the kid a little space to make some plays.

One thing that I don't think we will know until he is here and playing is his natural instincts as a runner. It is something that we have seen with Santiago. He has this natural instinct to make the smallest moves to make guys miss. His stutter step against Wyoming last year comes to mind. He just has good football smarts. Hope Mckinney can provide something similar.

Very different players. They can be equally effective though. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

He will likely play receiver. His quickness would be much better utilized there. Plus his size would limit his carries if at running back. He certainly could take some carries though. Have him return kicks and punts too. 

UND needs to use him like we expect them to use Santiago. This is especially true with Brady Oliveira showing he can be that prototypical physical back that this UND offense needs back there, especially based on their offensive philosophy.

21 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Very different players. They can be equally effective though. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Definitely, didn't mean that he needed to mirror Santiago. Just that his speed will be a huge asset on the field, and I hope he can be physical enough to utilize it. Bottom line get the kid the ball and give him some space to use the speed. Hope he works out well.

One thing in the videos is the O Line has created a huge wedge for him in almost all his highlights. Naturally it wouldn't be a highlight if he was tackled 2 yards behind the LOS, but that line does nice work for him to fly through the hole and get downfield.

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

He will likely play receiver. His quickness would be much better utilized there. Plus his size would limit his carries if at running back. He certainly could take some carries though. Have him return kicks and punts too. 

UND needs to use him like we expect them to use Santiago. This is especially true with Brady Oliveira showing he can be that prototypical physical back that this UND offense needs back there, especially based on their offensive philosophy.

I'm pretty sure he's being recruited as a WR as well.

13 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Can anyone confirm that Boltmann is 6'1" tall? I've seen him listed as 5'11" it's not the end of the world by any means but I'd prefer a taller qb since our OL is so big.

Yeah, under 6 foot wouldn't be ideal. I think UND needs to start recruiting bigger QBs, eventually. Imagine a Streveler type of QB under center for UND (similar size and athleticism but better decision-making, of course). 

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yeah, under 6 foot wouldn't be ideal. I think UND needs to start recruiting bigger QBs, eventually. Imagine a Strevler type of QB under center for UND (similar size and athleticism but better decision-making). 

Speaking of Strevler, he's got to be about the toughest SOB I've ever seen at QB. He should be six feet under already with all the hits he's taken. I'm not sure if anyone saw the vicious hit to the head he took against UNI but after rolling around on the turf for a few moments he hopped right back up and didn't miss a play. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

Speaking of Strevler, he's got to be about the toughest SOB I've ever seen at QB. He should be six feet under already with all the hits he's taken. I'm not sure if anyone saw the vicious hit to the head he took against UNI but after rolling around on the turf for a few moments he hopped right back up and didn't miss a play. 

I was incredibly impressed with him during the UND-USD game. Yes he made some bad decisions in the pass game, but man is he tough. He did make some nice throws though and the USD coaches could've helped him out a bit more towards the end, too. 

On October 4, 2016 at 3:01 PM, 97SiouxAlum said:

I like Mauch and think he could play FCS. I think Teiken would be one hell of a fullback at UND. Not sure if he has the twitch for LB or the speed for RB but I could be wrong. Reminds me of Kyle Norberg our starting fullback now.

I really like Dillan Jepson from Killdeer. Great highlights at RB but has the size & twitch to play OLB at UND IMO. There's clips of his senior year so far on hudl and he looks a lot like Jade Lawrence outta high school. Just a football player and killdeer kids are tough as nails. 

Hankey from PR and Hofer twins from Larimore are worth watching.

Aaron Knutson from Central is on a really bad team but he's 6'4 220 & a great athlete. He could be a sleeper to watch. Would take a chance on him at PWO in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nodakhoops said:

I like Mauch and think he could play FCS. I think Teiken would be one hell of a fullback at UND. Not sure if he has the twitch for LB or the speed for RB but I could be wrong. Reminds me of Kyle Norberg our starting fullback now.

I really like Dillan Jepson from Killdeer. Great highlights at RB but has the size & twitch to play OLB at UND IMO. There's clips of his senior year so far on hudl and he looks a lot like Jade Lawrence outta high school. Just a football player and killdeer kids are tough as nails. 

Hankey from PR and Hofer twins from Larimore are worth watching.

Aaron Knutson from Central is on a really bad team but he's 6'4 220 & a great athlete. He could be a sleeper to watch. Would take a chance on him at PWO in a heartbeat.

I'm fairly certain Teiken and Levi Hofer were at one of the home games this year. So there probably is some level of interest. 

Does anyone have any info on these Fargo South players, Tanner Beaton, Jack Pifer, or Victor Isaak?