SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

From Yote 53 on AGS

"I am sure there will be some growing pains but as a whole I am more confident in this entire coaching staff than the previous one. I think that will be a net gain for the Coyotes. I think Chris Streveler coming in at QB will bring a dynamic element to the offense that gives them some big play ability. You need that in this conference as it is very difficult to pound out 3-4 yards at a time all the way down the field against Valley defenses. Assuming Streveler earns the starting nod, that gives USD a solid backup in Ryan Saeger and Austin Simmons as a #3 guy was actually a player many thought would fight for the #1 spot before Streveler transferred in. Who knows? Maybe after fall camp this is all flipped on its head but I am confident we have depth at QB right now.

The offensive line should be one year older and one year better. Nick Jensen is really developing into a good tackle so hopefully he keeps developing on that trajectory. We've loaded up with more running backs. We've suffered way too many injuries at that position over the last few years. Hopefully somebody can step up and be a productive ironman ball carrier. Part of the reason for going through so many is that they had been pressed into service very young and took a pounding because of it. Now the RB position is maturing and are hopefully grown enough to handle the riggers of the conference schedule. I think we are thin at WR, though I don't anticipate us chucking the ball all over the field anyway, so if we're going to be thin somewhere that's the place for it.

Defensively I think we'll be fine at the DB and LB positions. D Line worries me as A) Losing Andrew Van Ginkel to transfer really hurts because he was such an impact player, and B) I think we are thin at that position. Frankly, the defensive line could be our Achilles heal this year.

As for record, I am thinking 2-1 in non conference with wins over Weber State at home and UND up in Grand Forks with a loss coming @ New Mexico. In conference, 4-4 would be great, but realistically 3-5 is probably a fair assessment. I actually think the team is better than 3-5 in conference but we miss the gimme Mo State win and our home games are UNI, ISUred, WIU, and NDSU. Road games YSU, ISUblue, SIU, and SDSU. Flip those home/road games and I like our chances better to finish above 4-4 in conference.  

I'm thinking this is going to be a 5-6 or 6-5 kind of season. I would be happy with 6-5 with a first year head coach. If it's 3-8 and we're getting blasted I will be pissed, though I do not expect that to happen."

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

From Yote 53 on AGS

"I am sure there will be some growing pains but as a whole I am more confident in this entire coaching staff than the previous one. I think that will be a net gain for the Coyotes. I think Chris Streveler coming in at QB will bring a dynamic element to the offense that gives them some big play ability. You need that in this conference as it is very difficult to pound out 3-4 yards at a time all the way down the field against Valley defenses. Assuming Streveler earns the starting nod, that gives USD a solid backup in Ryan Saeger and Austin Simmons as a #3 guy was actually a player many thought would fight for the #1 spot before Streveler transferred in. Who knows? Maybe after fall camp this is all flipped on its head but I am confident we have depth at QB right now.

The offensive line should be one year older and one year better. Nick Jensen is really developing into a good tackle so hopefully he keeps developing on that trajectory. We've loaded up with more running backs. We've suffered way too many injuries at that position over the last few years. Hopefully somebody can step up and be a productive ironman ball carrier. Part of the reason for going through so many is that they had been pressed into service very young and took a pounding because of it. Now the RB position is maturing and are hopefully grown enough to handle the riggers of the conference schedule. I think we are thin at WR, though I don't anticipate us chucking the ball all over the field anyway, so if we're going to be thin somewhere that's the place for it.

Defensively I think we'll be fine at the DB and LB positions. D Line worries me as A) Losing Andrew Van Ginkel to transfer really hurts because he was such an impact player, and B) I think we are thin at that position. Frankly, the defensive line could be our Achilles heal this year.

As for record, I am thinking 2-1 in non conference with wins over Weber State at home and UND up in Grand Forks with a loss coming @ New Mexico. In conference, 4-4 would be great, but realistically 3-5 is probably a fair assessment. I actually think the team is better than 3-5 in conference but we miss the gimme Mo State win and our home games are UNI, ISUred, WIU, and NDSU. Road games YSU, ISUblue, SIU, and SDSU. Flip those home/road games and I like our chances better to finish above 4-4 in conference.  

I'm thinking this is going to be a 5-6 or 6-5 kind of season. I would be happy with 6-5 with a first year head coach. If it's 3-8 and we're getting blasted I will be pissed, though I do not expect that to happen."

Seems he is basing his prediction off how we each handled Drake last year. 

51 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

From Yote 53 on AGS

Bring it on 'Yotes

Go UND Fighting Hawks! 

It seems like a majority of Yote fans think they're gonna come up here and handle us, mostly because they MVFC and we're Big Sky.  Can't blame them for using our NDSU and Drake games as measuring sticks but NDSU played flat against them and was out for blood against us and our offense was a complete mess against Drake. We each also played Davis with similar results even though they were on the road.

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It seems like a majority of Yote fans think they're gonna come up here and handle us, mostly because they MVFC and we're Big Sky.  Can't blame them for using our NDSU and Drake games as measuring sticks but NDSU played flat against them and was out for blood against us and our offense was a complete mess against Drake. We each also played Davis with similar results even though they were on the road.

UND wins by more than a touchdown. We need to hire extra security for the USD locker room for after the game. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, old school said:

Early success depends on the o line.  If the can play to there ability UND come out of the USD game 3-0.   Defense is simple. "They can't win if the don't score"

I think Coe is going to turn some heads. His tape was the real deal. I think we'll be ok on the line. 

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

sorry but we win this game going away...by at least 20.

Unds style isn't necessarily set up to blow out teams. They could dominate a team like wyoming and the score looks much much closer then it should of been. Being the 3rd game of the year , hoping the o line will be "gelled" by then.   I believe this is the game they gel !!   

South Dakota plays our style of game and we all know that und is fantastic against the run, additionally,  und will have been tested by this style of play against stony brook.   Und wins it's first home game. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Unds style isn't necessarily set up to blow out teams. They could dominate a team like wyoming and the score looks much much closer then it should of been. Being the 3rd game of the year , hoping the o line will be "gelled" by then.   I believe this is the game they gel !!   

South Dakota plays our style of game and we all know that und is fantastic against the run, additionally,  und will have been tested by this style of play against stony brook.   Und wins it's first home game. 

ask poly if they considered that last game a blowout!!!

• Upvote 1

I'm a fan of recruiting, watching HUDL film, etc.  Of all of the recruiting sites out there 247 does the best job by far in my opinion.  They have a composite of all other recruiting sites when they rank their players.  They also have local employees who watch recruits at camps and break down film, unlike Rivals which is mostly regional (the South).

I wanted to see how many UND players were ranked by 247 in the primary recruiting states of North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin over the last 4 recruiting cycles.

Let's start with the caveat that recruiting and rankings are not close to perfect by any stretch, especially at the FCS level.  John Santiago is not listed in the Top 50 in Minnesota in 2015 for instance, which in hindsight is absurd.  Elijah Grady, Keaton Studsrud... there are a number of good players from this three state area that are not listed.  But it's a helpful guide.  Normally the team that signs the highest ranked recruits has the best talent.  This list shows that recruiting is improving at UND... their two highest rated recruits (in state) over the last 4 years are in the 2017 class.  This says that the staff has a better product to sell and are doing the job.

MN

Tyler Coyne #14 in the state

Drew Greely #15

Grant Alpin #17

Connor Bolduc #21

WI

No one

ND

No one

MN

Carl Engwall #21

Patric Rooney #24

Donnell Rogers #26

WI

No one

ND

No one

MN

Bennett Helgren #37

Evan Holm #46

Jake Grier #47

Jaxson Turner #50

WI

No one

ND

No one

MN

Leif Bungum #13

Brock Boltmann #40

WI

Noah Larson #9

ND

No one 

Thanks for the summary; however, I still think those rankings and ratings are not worth much. Recruiting websites miss players all the time, and for that reason, Bubba's staff does their own evaluations and they trust what they see, not what they hear. The elite camps on campus have been an absolute success in terms of UND recruiting and prospect assessment. 

Like you mentioned, Santiago, Studsrud, Grady, etc. are not on these lists; exactly why in-person scouting of ALL appropriate regional prospects is the right thing to do. 

• Upvote 2

Here is the poll I submitted on AGS. I found this to be very difficult to do in the preseason. What do you all think:

1: North Dakota State Bison
2: Richmond Spiders
3: Sam Houston State Bearkats
4: Northern Iowa Panthers
5: Montana Grizzlies
6: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
7: Chattanooga Mocs
8: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
9: Charleston Southern Buccaneers
10: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
11: James Madison Dukes
12: William & Mary Tribe