SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

50 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well, in the past 10 years or so, with the advent of the spread no-huddle offenses, the defensive key still starts up front. I can recall watching a game about 5 years ago when Oregon's offense was the new big thing but they played a top LSU d-line and, subsequently, Oregon was handled. UND's great d-line depth will be absolutely critical against Bowling Green; rotate the big boys in and out and make Bowling Green protect. 

Despite the match-up issues, I still think UND has a very good chance to be far more physical and steal this one vs BGSU. 

Bgsu welcomes back a load of experience on the o line.  It will be a great test to our d line.   I would expect Bgsu to completely underestimate our OLBs resulting in jawon and disterhuapt having career days.  Just a hunch 

• Upvote 1

After a quick glance at the roster it appears some guys put in the work in the weight room.

Santiago is up 10 lbs to 180. This is about right. I wouldn't want him to gain much more than 10 lbs in a year so he can maintain his quickness.

Olivera is up 5 lbs to 225. Throw another case on the Molson truck.

Fiedler is up 15 to 250. This is really important for him as a blocker. He could probably play at 260 in a year.

Georges is up 10 lbs to 180. Hopefully this helps him play every game this year.

Palmborg is up 10 lbs to 210. That's a nice size for him to bring more boom.

Engwall is up 30 lbs to 265. That's a lot of time spent at Wilkie. Nice work.

Schmitz is up 20 lbs to 280. 

Cox is up 10 lbs to 300.  This guy has put in the time to gain 50 lbs since his fr year in transition from DE to OL.

Francis is down 20 lbs to 255. Could have quit the team when injuries didn't go his way. Instead he sucked it up switched positions and lost a ton of weight to contribute. 

Gordon is up 15 lbs to 205. He obviously didn't mess around with fr weights with Baukol. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

After a quick glance at the roster it appears some guys put in the work in the weight room.

Santiago is up 10 lbs to 180. This is about right. I wouldn't want him to gain much more than 10 lbs in a year so he can maintain his quickness.

Olivera is up 5 lbs to 225. Throw another case on the Molson truck.

Fiedler is up 15 to 250. This is really important for him as a blocker. He could probably play at 260 in a year.

Georges is up 10 lbs to 180. Hopefully this helps him play every game this year.

Palmborg is up 10 lbs to 210. That's a nice size for him to bring more boom.

Engwall is up 30 lbs to 265. That's a lot of time spent at Wilkie. Nice work.

Schmitz is up 20 lbs to 280. 

Cox is up 10 lbs to 300.  This guy has put in the time to gain 50 lbs since his fr year in transition from DE to OL.

Francis is down 20 lbs to 255. Could have quit the team when injuries didn't go his way. Instead he sucked it up switched positions and lost a ton of weight to contribute. 

Gordon is up 15 lbs to 205. He obviously didn't mess around with fr weights with Baukol. 

Great information. Very impressive for Engwall. Nice work by all.

9 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Can't remember the wrs name but when you lead the nation in passing yards there is a chance someone will return with decent numbers.  Seems like he is 6'3" skinny burner?  

One thing und has going for them is they play ohio st the week before.  letdown?  I would guess so, going from ohio st to North Dakota.  

The WR is 5'9", so not tall.

7 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Which leads me to our scheduling.  Frankly, Faison should be projecting out what type of offense a team is running and schedule accordingly.  UND beat Wyoming because they matched up extremely well with them.  Wyoming was a slow it down, run first, big sets offense.  Perfect.  

There are plenty of pro-style teams out there to contact first before you go find a hurry up offense like Babers ran last year.  The new coach is doing the same thing.

What? I love this kind of deep analysis. What if the new coach changed styles just like Bubba did when he took over for muss?  Faison can be criticized for a lot of things, but not having the foresight to understand the offensive strategy of a coach (who was not the current coach) of a team your going to play in 3 to 5 years is not one of them.

6 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

What? I love this kind of deep analysis. What if the new coach changed styles just like Bubba did when he took over for muss?  Faison can be criticized for a lot of things, but not having the foresight to understand the offensive strategy of a coach (who was not the current coach) of a team your going to play in 3 to 5 years is not one of them.

For example WYO was a spread team before Bohl got there. It works both ways.

1 hour ago, Tangolou said:

You're right, staffs change and offenses change within a program.  But there still is a predominant style of play for most programs within their respective history - for the most part.  You can only schedule based on what you know of the staff and program that is currently in place, which is obviously ever changing, but you still have to take it into account.

That aside, all it takes is for an AD (or asst AD responsible for scheduling) to communicate with his FB staff regarding scheduling.  Pretty normal and not difficult.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Tangolou said:

Spread is the offense.  The speed and intent of the offense is another.  If I am UND I try to avoid any program that wants or wanted to play at a hyper-speed, like BG does.  

That style of play and success led to their current AD wanting to keep that style and he hired accordingly.  

Maybe it was a bit much to ask Faison to project but it is possible to narrow it down and try to find ideal type of program.  Gene Taylor made a career out of it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

I don't think you need to avoid them, I think you need to keep testing your weaknesses.  If und is fortunate enough to make the playoffs, being tested during the regular season will only help for that style of play. We already know und is great against run.  

Test your weaknesses vs. an FBS team?  OK.  That is not how it works.  You try and schedule to win the game (or get paid a boatload of money), not test your weaknesses.  

The point is UND is not built to hang with Bowling Green type of teams offenses and that is flat-out undeniable.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Test your weaknesses vs. an FBS team?  OK.  That is not how it works.  You try and schedule to win the game (or get paid a boatload of money), not test your weaknesses.  

The point is UND is not built to hang with Bowling Green type of teams and that is flat-out undeniable.  

I have to disagree with the idea of trying to not intentionally schedule spread teams. If we ever want to go deep in the playoffs we will run into spread teams and we will need to know how to handle them. To even get to the playoffs we will typically have to handle spread teams. We can't avoid it.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

The point is UND is not built to hang with Bowling Green type of teams and that is flat-out undeniable.  

May not want to test your weaknesses against an FBS team, but that is not how they schedule these games, and it probably never will be. They schedule based on which FBS team is willing to play them on their open weeks and what the payday will be.

As was already pointed out on this board, coaches change, play styles change. There isn't a secure way to schedule based on match ups. Clearly the play style doesn't favor us, but that is why coaches scheme and game plan. We don't even know what BGSU is going to look like this year ... it is safe to assume they will play similar to last year, but they have a new coach and a slew of new players as WR. They lost their stud QB, albeit they have another very capable guy under center this year. Tough to know what they will look like.

They will likely put up point on us, but I look for this game to somewhat mimic our game against Mt St last year, except Prukop is probably a better QB. There was a MAC preview somewhere that said a BGSU game could break a total points scoring record. So I fully expect UND to run all over them (see BGSU vs Georgia Southern). We do that, we control the clock, we rest our defense. I still think this is a winnable game.

9 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I have to disagree with the idea of trying to not intentionally schedule spread teams. If we ever want to go deep in the playoffs we will run into spread teams and we will need to know how to handle them. To even get to the playoffs we will typically have to handle spread teams. We can't avoid it.

Listen people, did I say to not schedule SPREAD teams?  No.  I said hyper speed, spread you out, and go as fast as possible type of teams.  And it's the truth as much as you want to be hero's and act like UND is supposed to play anybody and everybody.  

Once again, Spread is an offense.  The speed and the way they run it is another.  Weber runs the spread but did not have the horses or speed that say, Montana did.  

24 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

We will agree to disagree.  Were not playing an Oregon, Baylor......it's bowling green.  Would you rather test it against an NAIA team???

Very winnable game against a team that on skilled position wise lost nearly everyone and a new coaching staff 

• Upvote 1

Just now, UND-1 said:

Listen people, did I say to not schedule SPREAD teams?  No.  I said hyper speed, spread you out, and go as fast as possible type of teams.  And it's the truth as much as you want to be hero's and act like UND is supposed to play anybody and everybody.  

Once again, Spread is an offense.  The speed and the way they run it is another.  Weber runs the spread but did not have the horses or speed that say, Montana did.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that the matchup to that "quick" style isn't ideal. Where you seem to be missing the point is you don't what other potential games were available when they scheduled. I'd rather see them play a team like BGSU than Drake; and as much as we may hate it, the committee would clearly value a "quality loss" to BGSU vs a win over Drake, or some D2 team.

Then there is also the fact that you don't know when new coaches and new systems come into play. Maybe their new coach won't run that kind of fast paced system. I just don't think you can effectively schedule non-conference opponents (especially FBS opponents) to always get the advantage based on how styles match up.

5 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

No you are just going off on a tangent that makes no sense. Come on now.

32 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Und can't hang with bowling green!?!? You kidding me!  They could very well wipe up on und or und could wipe up them.   But to say unquestionably that und simply can not "hang" is flat out ?????? Get a grip

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Longtime fan said:

Und can't hang with bowling green!?!? You kidding me!  They could very well wipe up on und or und could wipe up them.   Get a grip

I should have stated Bowling Green type of "offenses".  My apologies.  

We will reconvene after the game and see how it went.  I know what our offense can do to them.    

34 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

So UND shouldn't have scheduled Sam Houston State to a non-conference home and home, either? 

You want to be the best, you have to beat the best. Thank God Bubba isn't shying away from winning every game on the schedule - that's the way it NEEDS to be. 

Lastly, Bowling Green is a MAC team; UND should be able to hang with most, if not all, from that mediocre FBS conference. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

I should have stated Bowling Green type of "offenses".  My apologies.  

We will reconvene after the game and see how it went.  I know what our offense can do to them.    

If UND does give up a bunch of yards against Bowling Green, which is more than possible, it will be because UND couldn't get pressure on the QB and the DBs couldn't tackle in open space. That type of situation, early in the season and out of conference, is good for the team in terms of experience before conference play. I think the fast-paced spread system that BGSU runs will prepare UND for most, if not all, of the up-tempo attacks UND will see in-conference ... which is a good thing. Remember, UND's main goal is to win the BSC. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

So UND shouldn't have scheduled Sam Houston State to a non-conference home and home, either? 

You want to be the best, you have to beat the best. Thank God Bubba isn't shying away from winning every game on the schedule - that's the way it NEEDS to be. 

Lastly, Bowling Green is a MAC team; UND should be able to hang with most, if not all, from that mediocre FBS conference. 

Agreed. I hate throwing out the NDSU example again, but based on their success, who would not want to emulate what they have done. They aren't afraid to schedule some tough non-conference or FBS teams. They have done SHSU, E. Wash, Montana, Colorado St, Kansas St, Iowa St, Now have Oregon on the schedule.

Playing better teams makes you better.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UNDvince97-01 said:

Big difference between scheduling non-conference FCS games and non-conference FBS games. 

Two totally different methodologies and philosophies.

I understand that. My point was, they haven't shied away from competition. They go out expecting to win, regardless of who they play or where they play. 

4 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Big difference between scheduling non-conference FCS games and non-conference FBS games. 

Two totally different methodologies and philosophies.

Correct. 

But from an offensive scheme standpoint, Sam Houston State and Bowling Green are somewhat similar. So going off of purely that, along with Montana and others of the BSC, UND will eventually need to eliminate the "big play" of these teams. Bubba knows you can't give up 50+ yard chunk plays against these kind of up-tempo, spread attacks. 

EDIT: BGSU will provide UND an early opportunity to see how their defense has developed since last season's Montana and Montana State match-ups.