SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Bowling Green has a Ray Guy nominee punter (averaged 46 yards a kick), a Belitnikoff nominee WR (72 - 951 - 6), and a Butkis/Bednarick nominee LB (144 tackles). It seems they didn't lose everything from last year.

Loose almost the entire wr crew and most of the secondary. Return the most experienced o line in the nation however.   Most total starts.  

I think that LB is Alvarez?  Watched him a few times last year as a sophomore and he was impressive as was their massive d line.

3 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Loose almost the entire wr crew and most of the secondary. Return the most experienced o line in the nation however.   Most total starts.  

I think that LB is Alvarez?  Watched him a few times last year as a sophomore and he was impressive as was their massive d line.

Who is the WR? They lost like 4 receivers this year, I'm surprised they have someone who has played enough to be nominated for something at that position.

To geaux_sioux's point, BGSU certainly will not be a pushover, but the game is definitely winnable. They will not be as dominant as they were last season (where even they showed how bad they could be exposeed by Georgia Southern), and UND will certainly be better than last year. This SHOULD be a very entertaining game, and while I'm excited to watch us play Stony Brook, I'm really pumped to see us play BGSU.

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Who is the WR? They lost like 4 receivers this year, I'm surprised they have someone who has played enough to be nominated for something at that position.

To geaux_sioux's point, BGSU certainly will not be a pushover, but the game is definitely winnable. They will not be as dominant as they were last season (where even they showed how bad they could be exposeed by Georgia Southern), and UND will certainly be better than last year. This SHOULD be a very entertaining game, and while I'm excited to watch us play Stony Brook, I'm really pumped to see us play BGSU.

Can't remember the wrs name but when you lead the nation in passing yards there is a chance someone will return with decent numbers.  Seems like he is 6'3" skinny burner?  

One thing und has going for them is they play ohio st the week before.  letdown?  I would guess so, going from ohio st to North Dakota.  

8 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Just show's how far this team has come under Bubba, in a short amount of time, that we can have these kinds of expectations. This wouldn't have even been a conversation 5 years ago.

toe to toe were our expectations in the past...

rip muss

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

Can't remember the wrs name but when you lead the nation in passing yards there is a chance someone will return with decent numbers.  Seems like he is 6'3" skinny burner?  

One thing und has going for them is they play ohio st the week before.  letdown?  I would guess so, going from ohio st to North Dakota.  

Ohio St. vrs. Bowling Green, hope it's a real physical game!!  I think they have a WR mentioned cause they throw the ball 60 times a game and run a play every 12 seconds when they have the ball.  Interesting offense to watch and prepare for.

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Just show's how far this team has come under Bubba, in a short amount of time, that we can have these kinds of expectations. This wouldn't have even been a conversation 5 years ago.

That's because the leader of UND football at the time would've implied something like "go out and try your best" i.e., "expect to lose".

I'm am extraordinarily happy with Bubba and his staff. They have completely changed the direction of UND football, largely due to Bubba's vision, leadership, and dedication to UND.

• Upvote 1

This matchup with Bowling Green is not ideal.  What type of teams gives UND the most fits?  No-huddle, spread, chuck and duck.  UND's offense will need to win this game with their running game and keeping Bowling Green off the field.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

This matchup with Bowling Green is not ideal.  What type of teams gives UND the most fits?  No-huddle, spread, chuck and duck.  UND's offense will need to win this game with their running game and keeping Bowling Green off the field.

... and/or UND gets to the QB a bunch.

But I completely agree with your point (see last season's Idaho State game). UND will need big games out of Cole Reyes, Deion Harris, etc. 

Which leads me to our scheduling.  Frankly, Faison should be projecting out what type of offense a team is running and schedule accordingly.  UND beat Wyoming because they matched up extremely well with them.  Wyoming was a slow it down, run first, big sets offense.  Perfect.  

There are plenty of pro-style teams out there to contact first before you go find a hurry up offense like Babers ran last year.  The new coach is doing the same thing.

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

... and/or UND gets to the QB a bunch.

But I completely agree with your point (see last season's Idaho State game). UND will need big games out of Cole Reyes, Deion Harris, etc. 

You don't get to the QB vs. these offense's.  Disrupt the rhythm with secondary jamming and disguises but sacks are going to be rare.  

• Upvote 1

BG's head coach is quite the story. Was coaching in high school before Klingsbury brought him on as RB coach at Texas Tech in 2013. Spent 3 years there before getting the head coaching job at Bowling Green in December. Their AD was looking for someone to continue with Babers' high octane offense and Jinks fit the bill. They are looking to have 80-90 snaps a game on offense. Going to need to rotate quite a few guys, which is fine in the front 7, the secondary is going to have their work cut out for them.

35 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Which leads me to our scheduling.  Frankly, Faison should be projecting out what type of offense a team is running and schedule accordingly.  UND beat Wyoming because they matched up extremely well with them.  Wyoming was a slow it down, run first, big sets offense.  Perfect.  

There are plenty of pro-style teams out there to contact first before you go find a hurry up offense like Babers ran last year.  The new coach is doing the same thing.

:lol::lol::lol:

Good one!!!

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The best defense vs teams like these is a power offense that keeps them on the bench and out of sync.  We will control the clock. It makes their margin for error smaller than they're used to. Advantage us.

Agree. UND needs to pound the rock and control the clock with Santiago, Oliveira, Nevermann, etc. 

43 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

You don't get to the QB vs. these offense's.  Disrupt the rhythm with secondary jamming and disguises but sacks are going to be rare.  

Well, in the past 10 years or so, with the advent of the spread no-huddle offenses, the defensive key still starts up front. I can recall watching a game about 5 years ago when Oregon's offense was the new big thing but they played a top LSU d-line and, subsequently, Oregon was handled. UND's great d-line depth will be absolutely critical against Bowling Green; rotate the big boys in and out and make Bowling Green protect. 

Despite the match-up issues, I still think UND has a very good chance to be far more physical and steal this one vs BGSU. 

• Upvote 1