SiouxSports.com Forum

One last screw job by the ncaa

gfhockey

Exactly..........so now every marginal 6-5 team like WIU from here on out will get a look when this precedent should never have occurred to begin with. The NCAA can't stay out of its own way.

Maybe the Big Sky needs a stronger rep on the committee.....because if this is the "new" criteria the Big Sky would have had 8 teams under consideration and only got 3 of them in while the MVFC went 5 for 5 and the CAA went 4 for 6. 

Edited by petey23
  • Upvote 1

I think everyone is up in arms about little or nothing. This team and program are headed in the right direction and it is clear that Bubba's efforts to change the culture are working. Two years ago, we were staring into the abyss of a 3-8 season with a head coaching vacancy and a lot of anxiety and uncertainty on this forum and elsewhere about where the program was headed and how long it would take to put the pieces back together. Now we are knocking on the door of the FCS playoffs and will have an excellent chance to break down that door next season. Bubba and his staff will use this as a motivational tool to get the team fired up and determined to have a true breakout season.

Forget about 2015. Focus on 2016, the Big Sky conference title and being a seeded team in the FCS playoffs with that all-important first round bye. That would be more productive than bellyaching about being screwed by the playoff committee. If this program improves like I think it will, the committee won't have a chance to screw us out of anything.

I would've been been nice to have these young players experience the playoffs.  They have grown so much as a team, that if they have made them there is a good chance they would have not been one and done.

The sole silver lining is that Bubba and crew can spend their full attention on recruiting, especially the secondary and receiving corps.

Edited by SiouxVolley

From GF Herald Article:

UND was passed over in favor of Eastern Illinois of the Ohio Valley Conference, as well as 6-5 Western Illinois of the Missouri Valley Football Conference.  EIU, which was 7-4 overall, didn’t beat a playoff team and didn’t boast an FBS victory.

Committees end up with a lot of group think.  I would guess that many of those on the selection committee would realize they screwed up after getting away from the meeting and looking at it from a distance.  It's hard to make a case for a 6 win team making it since they have never had a 6 win team get in.   EIU has no leg to stand on vs. UND either.

I think everyone is up in arms about little or nothing. This team and program are headed in the right direction and it is clear that Bubba's efforts to change the culture are working. Two years ago, we were staring into the abyss of a 3-8 season with a head coaching vacancy and a lot of anxiety and uncertainty on this forum and elsewhere about where the program was headed and how long it would take to put the pieces back together. Now we are knocking on the door of the FCS playoffs and will have an excellent chance to break down that door next season. Bubba and his staff will use this as a motivational tool to get the team fired up and determined to have a true breakout season.

Forget about 2015. Focus on 2016, the Big Sky conference title and being a seeded team in the FCS playoffs with that all-important first round bye. That would be more productive than bellyaching about being screwed by the playoff committee. If this program improves like I think it will, the committee won't have a chance to screw us out of anything.

You are correct - but I think you can grant 24 hours for other diehard fans to feel disappointed, jobbed, robbed or outright screwed before moving on. The turnaround in two years has been impressive, and there's lots to be excited about moving forward, but it's only natural to focus on what might have been for a moment or two. It's a long, cold offseason....

• Upvote 2

You are correct - but I think you can grant 24 hours for other diehard fans to feel disappointed, jobbed, robbed or outright screwed before moving on. The turnaround in two years has been impressive, and there's lots to be excited about moving forward, but it's only natural to focus on what might have been for a moment or two. It's a long, cold offseason....

Oh, I have zero problem with people venting on here. I just wanted to remind everybody of just how far we have come in two short years and what we have to look forward to. Was this a travesty of justice? Yes. Does it prevent us from continuing to build a championship program (and I am not talking just Big Sky titles, either)? No way.

2016 will be here before we know it and it will be well worth the wait.

• Upvote 1

I agree with how far we've come in 2 years.

That said - this snub is more than 'little or nothing'.  We wold be a lot better off with recruiting and development if we were headed to the playoffs.  Also - you never know how many chances you will get and when the next one will come. 

E Ill got in because of conference politics.  They probably took our spot.

With Portland St and S Utah getting Big Sky bids, they don't have a yearly track record like EWU and MSU.  Getting three "new" teams was too much for the Sky.  Realize SUU has been in before, but they are not consistent and are a weak for BSC autobid. 

Fordham went 9-2 with a win against FBS Army.  Realize they play in the relatively weak Patriot League, but they deserved to get in over EIU too.

You need to look at SHSU also.....  7 D1 - wins - with no quality wins - the southland is a mess and does not deserve to have two teams..

I literally fell on the floor laughing when I saw who posted this! But you are right, if only we could all be as calm and level headed while posting as you are!!!

:lol: 

Yeah, I have a history of histrionics (tongue twister for you there) on this forum. But I also believe in optimism when it is called for and I think this is a situation where things are more good than bad.

That said - this snub is more than 'little or nothing'.  We wold be a lot better off with recruiting and development if we were headed to the playoffs.  Also - you never know how many chances you will get and when the next one will come. 

I remember back in 1991 we got snubbed in favor of Mankato State and people were just livid. Well, we made the playoffs the next year and we turned the corner as a program in 1993. So that is where I am coming from on this. Were we screwed? Yes. Is it the end of the world? No.

Hell No this team was peaking at the right time...  I would have no problem playing any of the valley teams right now...  that is why I am pissed.  They are playing some really good football.  They absolutely handled Poly it was 35-0 on the road.  Plus UND's game translates to bad weather this time of year and it makes me more upset.  Right now there is so much parity - give us the top seed I have problem with it because McNeese St played in a crappy conference this year.  NDSU is down a QB....  any number of team can make a run right now..    UND was one of those teams IMO.  

• Upvote 2

Agree with this.  Sometimes winning is a progression, so it would have been nice to get that playoff experience this year.  Hopefully we can bypass that progression.  The positive is that Bubba can still use this as a recruiting benefit, explaining to recruits how close they were and how they will be out to make up for it next year.  Hopefully he can get out on the road and steal a few recruits from some of those playoff teams, while they are tied down with game planning.

Edited by tnt
  • Upvote 1

So the committee can show how smart they are, they put WIU up against Dayton, a sure win for WIU.  Dayton, by the way, was beat by Drake by 10 a few games back.  'Love the Drake'

You are 100% correct.  That is completely intentional.

Now they can say "see, we were right on WIU" when everyone knows Dayton is a complete mirage.

I remember back in 1991 we got snubbed in favor of Mankato State and people were just livid. Well, we made the playoffs the next year and we turned the corner as a program in 1993. So that is where I am coming from on this. Were we screwed? Yes. Is it the end of the world? No.

I remember 1991 and I was pissed then too.   Thanks for having the year for that one.  I was going to look it up but was too lazy.

• Upvote 1

Hell No this team was peaking at the right time...  I would have no problem playing any of the valley teams right now...  that is why I am pissed.  They are playing some really good football.  They absolutely handled Poly it was 35-0 on the road.  Plus UND's game translates to bad weather this time of year and it makes me more upset.  Right now there is so much parity - give us the top seed I have problem with it because McNeese St played in a crappy conference this year.  NDSU is down a QB....  any number of team can make a run right now..    UND was one of those teams IMO.  

Coach Freund had a tweet with that sentiment. I would have put our team against anyone anywhere. If next years team can make good on what was built the last two it will sting less. But it will still sting because guys like Ratelle got screwed out of an opportunity to be legendary.

Maybe you should text him and let him know "it's on them"!  Maybe you can point out a bad coaching decision in that game against Idaho State, or a missed tackle by Ratelle.