SiouxSports.com Forum

One last screw job by the ncaa

gfhockey

Yea. And why did I say we lost that game and the other two in that streak?

That's fine, but we didnt beat Idaho State or Weber.  We did however, beat Portland at their place, Wyoming at their place and then-ranked Montana State.

And WIU shouldn't have been beaten by ndsu 59-7.  And they should have won 7 games or more.

And Eastern Illinois should have....

Doesn't matter.  The records and resumes are what they were and clearly the committee made a gigantic mistake by not including UND in the field.

Edited by UNDvince97-01
  • Upvote 1

And NDSU

I was only listing the teams we didn't already play this year, but yes. Although I think the final result, in terms of wins and losses, would be the same, I'd like to see what would happen in a rematch. Studsrud was living up to the first 4 letters of his name down the stretch. 

You guys can pull excuses out of your asses all day if you want but at the end of the day our inability to win cost us a spot in the playoffs. Even with the injuries we were good enough to win two of those three in a row losses, but we didn't.

Sounds like you said even with the injuries they should have won, so I would think that means everybody picking up the slack.  Just saying maybe you should address your quote to someone other than the fans if you think more could have been done to win those games. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds like you said even with the injuries they should have won, so I would think that means everybody picking up the slack.  Just saying maybe you should address your quote to someone other than the fans if you think more could have been done to win those games. 

The reason we lost was because of how bad Bartels was. We had so many 3 and outs against ISU because they knew he couldn't throw the ball. Against Weber he gave them the game in the 4th quarter. He also didn't exactly help us at all against Montana. It sucks because I was pulling for him, but at the end of the day he just wasn't getting it done.

• Upvote 1

An argument for Western Illinois making the playoffs over the Fighting Hawks.
WIU: tens games against teams ranked in the GPI top 50, plus lost to 5-6 Illinois
UND: 5 games against the top 50, beat 1-10 Wyoming
WIU: 3-3 vs playoff teams
UND: 1-2...
WIU: 5-3 tied for 3rd in the #1 ranked conference, ranked 21st in GPI
UND: 5-3 tied for 4th in the #4 ranked conference, ranked 43rd in GPI
WIU: Good wins, UNI and SDSU
UND: Portland State
WIU: bad loss Youngstown State ranked 18th in the GPI
UND: Idaho State ranked 93rd

So an FBS win doesn't count as a good win?

Right now, put UND on ANY field against UNH, E. Illinois & W. Illinois... I like our chances

Add SHSU to that list.... that is why this sucks none of them had a better resume than UND - unbelievable...  People saying WIU beat 3 playoff teams - ahhhh one of them is EIU who is not a playoff team.  They got UNI after a schedule run of Iowa St./EWU/Poly/Ill St and NDSU.  I think they caught UNI at the right time.  SDSU was caught in traffic and late to the game - the game had to be delay..  hmmmm that didn't disrupt a travelling team at all... PLUS they only won 6 games.  Are you kidding me!?!  What do they get as a reward... the worst team in the playoffs.... they are basically getting a bye!!!!!  they play Dayton who lost of Drake this week.  They are the 9th seed.  Are you &%ing kidding me!!  If UND got Dayton can image the howling that would be going right now.  But, because it is the MVFC - that the way it should be ..... seriously..

Edited by FSSD
  • Upvote 1

The reason we lost was because of how bad Bartels was. We had so many 3 and outs against ISU because they knew he couldn't throw the ball. Against Weber he gave them the game in the 4th quarter. He also didn't exactly help us at all against Montana. It sucks because I was pulling for him, but at the end of the day he just wasn't getting it done.

... but you said they should have won even with the injuries!

Maybe UND should join the MVFC so they can compete with the best every week and have a stronger strength of schedule and opportunity for more quality wins.

Then maybe Patty and "Touchdown" should get off their collective asses and extend a 'silent invite' so UND has a decision to make....like 5 years ago.

Whether myself or anyone else here agree or disagree with being members of the BSC or MVFC/Summit, I think we can all agree they are incompetent at best for not having the leadership and vision to have done so already.  It's just amazing.

And please, I'm really not looking to engage in that debate with anyone about that argument specifically here right now, regardless of the side you're on.

Edited by UNDvince97-01

Not when it is Wyoming, who might be the worst FBS team in the country. There are probably 40 FCS teams better than them.

Maybe UND should join the MVFC so they can compete with the best every week and have a stronger strength of schedule and opportunity for more quality wins.

You guys hype every FBS win like you had beaten Alabama or Ohio State and you have the unmitigated gall to come on here and say our Wyoming win didn't mean anything? That is rich, my friend. :silly::lol:

• Upvote 3

You can't pin this on one guy.  Coaches made decision to go with Bartels.  Not necessarily wrong but when he didn't play well they stuck with him. Too many people, and it seems some of the coaches, forget Studsrud had not been playing that well when he got hurt. He was ok.  I mentioned before, I think by the end of the year he was our most improved player from fall to now, but he wasn't winning or losing games for us. He was adequate.  What was our secondary doing when we were up by 14 in those games?  Why weren't we moving the ball on the ground? What were our special teams doing? This is a team game and the team and coaching staff lost those games, not one guy.  That isn't fair to Bartels.  I saw how he played and it wasn't just Bartels.  We had the personnel to win those games without Keaton.  If we struggle in the secondary, our dline  and LB's need to step it up and pressure the QB.  Didn't happen against Idaho State.  If our receivers are struggling with routes our oline QB and RB's need to step up.  The team struggled. Studsrud may have made a difference but no way to know.  I think Reyes would have made a difference but no way to know. It's a team game and these were team losses just like the wins were team wins. Keaton played his best FB the last 3 games, almost flawless the last 2. The oline  protected him and we ran the ball almost at will.  Do that for Bartels and we win both of those games.  Great steps this year, got screwed by playoff selection rubes, nothing we can do.  Good lesson: control the things we can control and we are in.  Then we don't have the same frustration on selection day.  We need to be prepared to win no matter who we are playing regardless of injuries.  Takes time and we are headed in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

You can't pin this on one guy.  Coaches made decision to go with Bartels.  Not necessarily wrong but when he didn't play well they stuck with him. Too many people, and it seems some of the coaches, forget Studsrud had not been playing that well when he got hurt. He was ok.  I mentioned before, I think by the end of the year he was our most improved player from fall to now, but he wasn't winning or losing games for us. He was adequate.  What was our secondary doing when we were up by 14 in those games?  Why weren't we moving the ball on the ground? What were our special teams doing? This is a team game and the team and coaching staff lost those games, not one guy.  That isn't fair to Bartels.  I saw how he played and it wasn't just Bartels.  We had the personnel to win those games without Keaton.  If we struggle in the secondary, our dline  and LB's need to step it up and pressure the QB.  Didn't happen against Idaho State.  If our receivers are struggling with routes our oline QB and RB's need to step up.  The team struggled. Studsrud may have made a difference but no way to know.  I think Reyes would have made a difference but no way to know. It's a team game and these were team losses just like the wins were team wins. Keaton played his best FB the last 3 games, almost flawless the last 2. The oline  protected him and we ran the ball almost at will.  Do that for Bartels and we win both of those games.  Great steps this year, got screwed by playoff selection rubes, nothing we can do.  Good lesson: control the things we can control and we are in.  Then we don't have the same frustration on selection day.  We need to be prepared to win no matter who we are playing regardless of injuries.  Takes time and we are headed in the right direction.

Studsrud was a terrible passer to start the year but it was his legs that were helping us win. The choice to bomb it on 4th down against ISU, the worst INT i've ever seen against WSU, and missing Seibel in the flat when he was 10 yards away and wide open against Montana are examples of how one player failed the team.  And no the running game couldn't bail the team out because teams had 9 guys in the box because we could't pass. In the last two games Studsrud was as efficient as Mellberg was the previous year right before he got hurt. Bartels just isn't cut out for this level of football, he's had ample opportunities to improve and he has digressed. And I'll say it again, I was really pulling for him specifically but it just didn't work out unfortunately.

• Downvote 1

I get your point but it shouldn't have come down to that int. As a team we just weren't playing very well especially defensively.  Give their QB credit he made a difference. The coaches chose to use Bartels and they chose to stay with him no matter how he played. It wasn't just Bartels. It was our oline, receivers and RB's too.   No matter how I may have felt, once the staff picked their ms tarting QB they needed to give him the support to know he wasn't having to  " look over his shoulder". Once he was hurt I think the coaches made a mistake. Bubba can't complain about losing games when Keaton was hurt.  He made the decision to go with Bartels.  Even with Bartels, struggling, we should have one the Idaho State game and probably should have won the Weber game.  Seasons over,  I think QB situation is decided for next 2 years.  We need another good recruiting  year to  improve depth and we should be better next year.  No more blow outs. Hopefully conference championship. 

Not when it is Wyoming, who might be the worst FBS team in the country. There are probably 40 FCS teams better than them.

that title was pretty much every FBS team you guys beat in the last ten years....

NDAC shocks B12 Kansas 6-3!! Highlights at 10pm

• Upvote 1