SiouxSports.com Forum

MSU Game Day Thread

Sioux94

I guess I'll have to agree to disagree with some of you here on our secondary play although Reyes is the real deal.  You throw out the PSU game and UND is giving up around 290 yards/game thru the air. 

To quote my buddy who is a season ticket holder in Missoula and was at the Griz/UND game........"that is the worst secondary I have seen in this stadium in years."

It can't be as bad as the 2013 version.

Santiago and Oliveira play well beyond their age. Brady looked like he had a completely different gear. Hopefully he's past whatever nagging injury he had earlier in the season which in hindsight, hindered him more than originally thought.

Clive makes a huge difference.

Great strategy by Rudolph/Bubba to start Bartles and call a few QB runs before putting in Studsrud.

Quite certain that final extra point was good.

Seriously can not say enough good things about Ratelle. Always in position and doesn't miss tackles. The stop on the goal line was an absolutely amazing play, hitting Prukop from the side and still preventing him from falling forward into the end zone (video stolen from twitter).

I guess I'll have to agree to disagree with some of you here on our secondary play although Reyes is the real deal.  You throw out the PSU game and UND is giving up around 290 yards/game thru the air. 

To quote my buddy who is a season ticket holder in Missoula and was at the Griz/UND game........"that is the worst secondary I have seen in this stadium in years."  And he wasn't talking about Montana's.

The only thing more obvious than your lack of real football knowledge is your pessimistic attitude overall.

I'm also willing to bet that there are many on here that have more real football knowledge in their left pinky than "your buddy in Missoula".

Did they play bad that game?  Absolutely.  Are they the best right now?  No.

Does Deion Harris have the tools to be the best corner to ever play at UND?  No question.  If and when he figures some things out, I think he will be.  That's up to him.

I seriously just wish you and others were more positive and realistic.  Objectivity is always fine, but jeez...

Edited by UNDvince97-01
  • Upvote 3

Whatever. It is not inappropriate for a team's color analyst to be a little bit biased (not like NDSU's broadcast team, but a little biased). Recognizing talented opposing players is one thing; cheerleading them from the other broadcast booth is a little much. I don't think Tony Stein ever did that during his many years in that job; he was 100% pure Kelly Green and White...period. I just am not a big fan of Berg in the broadcast booth; I have nothing against him personally. I think Central FB misses him big-time and wouldn't have two wins over three years if he was still there.

I don't mind knowing who the stud is on the other side of the ball. I think UND announcers as a whole give a pretty unbiased call of the game. Even the hockey announcers on TV do a good job of calling it as they see it. Coach might take his observations a little over the top though. He's a football guy that gets excited over talented football players. I get it. Not for everybody but I get it. Not disagreeing with you. I'm sure you aren't the only one that feels this way.

• Upvote 2

Well..........when your 3rd sting completes 15 passes and 6 of those are for TDs he might have a point.

Montana threw for 400+ vs. NDSU.  I know they had their starting QB but it was his first start.

I'm not excusing the terrible play from our DBs this year, it needs to get a lot better but I also don't think the struggles can be pin pointed on one single number.  The games we have struggled against the pass have been a team effort.  

• Upvote 1

The only thing more obvious than your lack of real football knowledge is your pessimistic attitude overall.

I'm also willing to bet that there are many on here that have more real football knowledge in their left pinky than "your buddy in Missoula".

Did they play bad that game?  Absolutely.  Are they the best right now?  No.

Does Deion Harris have the tools to be the best corner to ever play at UND?  No question.  If and when he figures some things out, I think he will be.  That's up to him.

I seriously just wish you and others were more positive and realistic.  Objectivity is always fine, but jeez...

I realize you have cornered the market on FB knowledge on this site........you have made that abundantly clear........multiple times.

Positive and realistic.........our pass D should be better statistically the next 2 games. NC only averages 218 yards/game thru the air and Poly rarely throws it.  Because of this I like UND's chances to pull both games out and finish 7-4.

• Upvote 1

Montana threw for 400+ vs. NDSU.  I know they had their starting QB but it was his first start.

I'm not excusing the terrible play from our DBs this year, it needs to get a lot better but I also don't think the struggles can be pin pointed on one single number.  The games we have struggled against the pass have been a team effort.  

Let's also remember that having a 5th year senior quit the team because he lost his starting job to a freshman doesn't help either. Chris Brown showed his true colors when he did that. He won't be missed on senior day, that's for sure.

To quote my buddy who is a season ticket holder in Missoula and was at the Griz/UND game........"that is the worst secondary I have seen in this stadium in years."  And he wasn't talking about Montana's.

He never got to see Mackey and his boys in WaGriz.

Let's also remember that having a 5th year senior quit the team because he lost his starting job to a freshman doesn't help either. Chris Brown showed his true colors when he did that. He won't be missed on senior day, that's for sure.

I'm not even concerned about that.  

As much as I don't care for Kramer (ISU's head coach), his quote leading up to our game has proven very accurate.  He has a ton of experience in this league and said "show me a defense that is struggling and its likely they are getting poor play from their safety's."  I'm not saying all passing yardage and touchdowns are due to safeties being out of position but it is clear that we don't have depth at that position right now.  The guys that are playing are playing their asses off but the athletes on other teams at the skill positions in the Big Sky are legit and it has showed against us this season.  

As a season ticker holder at least he shows up for games compared to many UND FB "fans".

That is good, no doubt.  Glad he still comes to the games.  He should have been a bit more impressed on Saturday vs. the other weeks.  Not there yet but the MSU game showed some improvement.  

He did not..........the Griz played in GF in 2012, 2013 and 2014.

It's a good thing because if the 2012 game was in WaGrizz, that probably would have topped it. Hanson threw for 660 and Hardin had 333 receiving.  UND's secondary actually looked like the better one of the two that game just by default.

Unds secondary 2 deep

cbs: true soph harris, true soph carter, true fresh tyus, soph (first yr) jahmere

safeties

soph Reyes, true fresh polmberg, juco (first yr) Johnson, sen w/o James.  Add in arnell first yr juco.

The youth is apparent!

I watch with a technical eye when it comes to DB play. I say the future is bright because 1) we have raw talent at the position 2) the kids want to get better and 3) they have shown the ability to be right there on many passes.  Just need to clean up the false steps, trust their ability more, understand WR alignment, and what the offensive coordinator is trying to do to them (which comes with experience and film study).  They have all taken their lumps but they will be okay. If you go back and review each of their Hudl links, they have "it" in them. Just need to make the mental and technical adjustments.

• Upvote 1

How about the ridiculous officiating going on within the Big Sky Conference right now.

It has happened numerous times to UND, but let's just focus on the game vs. MSU:

Intentional grounding and not a fumble? C'mon

And that last extra point was good, I'm sure. What a time to blow that extra point call, jeez refs....

How about the ridiculous officiating going on within the Big Sky Conference right now.

It has happened numerous times to UND, but let's just focus on the game vs. MSU:

Intentional grounding and not a fumble? C'mon

And that last extra point was good, I'm sure. What a time to blow that extra point call, jeez refs....

You know it's bad when the commentators, who are usually level headed, become annoyed and are calling it out.

On the replay i also think that last extra point was good.

Thank God for instant replay!

You know it's bad when the commentators, who are usually level headed, become annoyed and are calling it out.

On the replay i also think that last extra point was good.

Thank God for instant replay!

delayed decision on the incomplete pass was on purpose.  the official wanted it to be harder to overturn.  just my thought.  the video saved us.