SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

Well, speaking as a student, I've tried (Stress "tried") speaking with fellow students, and honestly I can't seem to derail their fascination with Fighting Hawks. From what I gather that they couldn't care less that it's not unique and a s***t load of schools have bird mascots, but I genuinely couldn't tell you why they're voting Fighting Hawks. Beats me. So while I wont be voting for FH, I'd say get used to the sound of University of North Dakota Fighting Bland Awful Hawks.  (Please God let me wrong)

I hear you, but if it is truly the students that are driving this FH trend, then, that's probably the best scenario for helping us move on with a new nickname. All that needs to happen to make it a lock is to hang number 8 in the process -- it will become legend!  :D #wishfulthinking ( I know this isn't Twitter; you get the point)

Edited by Teeder11

Interesting that President Kelley bent the rules to allow for three-nickname runoff. How mad would hockey crowd be if Nodaks had got axe.

Win, lose, or draw....People will perceive the Hockey/Fighting Sioux Forever crowd as forever having a major impact on UND's new nickname. Which is a great way to help bring a uniting force to the new nickname.

Edited by Cratter
  • Upvote 1

the Nodaks folks aren't "bitching".   I'd like the process open, honest, and not change the rules midstream.   

Exactly!!!!   The Fighting Hawks vote total surprised me.  I was expecting a run-off between RR and NoDaks.  I was ready to live with those as options.  

Most people are "bitching" about the possible names at this point, but for me the changing rules midstream is what is the issue here.  I really don't care about the name at this point. If you say the top two are to be in a runoff, have the top two in a runoff.  Numbers 3, 4, and 5 lost, they shouldn't get rewarded for participation.

• Upvote 3

I hear you, but if it is truly the students that are driving this FH trend, then, that's probably the best scenario for helping us move on with a new nickname. All that needs to happen to make it a lock is to hang number 8 in the process -- it will become legend!  :D #wishfulthinking ( I know this isn't Twitter; you get the point)

Winning a National Championship never hurt anything! Honestly, I could live with any of the 3 remaining names. We could be in a much worse position then we find ourselves in today.  We could be the Banana Slugs (Chirp chirp UC Santa Cruz), or worse yet...the Golden Gophers :0.  

And please, continue with the hashtags, I'm a huge proponent of unnecessary hashtags! #hashtag

• Upvote 1

I'd say folks better rally around Fighting Hawks or get stuck copying Red River High School as some sort of TR group of men that have little to do with North Dakota...roughriders

It is fine for Red River HS it rymes great for them & has been their name for nearly 30 yrs

But not worthy of UND Athletics 

If someone or some group like current students can rally enough votes for Nodaks that would be great but if not I'd hate to see the vote split between Nodaks & Fighting Hawks & allow roughriders slip into win 

Kelley should say Fighting Nodaks is ok right now & I think it wins by a landslide (& even be a way for a large majority to not hate Kelley before he leaves)

I feel Fighting Nodaks has really caught on recently & should be a choice

If not let's support Fighting Hawks & be done with this whole mess

I'll guarantee if roughriders wins a lot of people will never move away from Fighting Sioux

It will take time but I really feel Fighting Nodaks is the most likely name that will eventually stick & be accepted 

Even though I voted for Fighting Hawks I'm  ready to support FIGHTING NODAKS

Well the diehard roughrider fans are giving my idea lots of negative votes - So I guess we better get behind Fighting Hawks before these types rally some to RR's & doom us to a terrible (for UND) nickname 

Edited by Fetch
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Well, speaking as a student, I've tried (Stress "tried") speaking with fellow students, and honestly I can't seem to derail their fascination with Fighting Hawks. From what I gather that they couldn't care less that it's not unique and a s***t load of schools have bird mascots, but I genuinely couldn't tell you why they're voting Fighting Hawks. Beats me. So while I wont be voting for FH, I'd say get used to the sound of University of North Dakota Fighting Bland Awful Hawks.  (Please God let me wrong)

i can help.  Its because of that logo that was floated around with the feather similar to well ya know...

The winner will have absolutely have a majority.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               A majority of the people will not like the new name!

• Upvote 1

It's funny how detached from reality this board is. Fighting hawk seemed like an afterthought here and is the most popular. There is weird outrage that the second and third choices are essentially tied so both are in the final runoff, but in reality it is the most practical decision. 

This board is fun, but completely delusional. 

• Upvote 2

i can help.  Its because of that logo that was floated around with the feather similar to well ya know...

This is exactly it. My neighbor works at UND and she believed that was going to be the logo! I told her it was owned by Chicago, she said I was wrong, I left it there. The students are the current bill payers....? All I know is that I'm happy Sundogs is out!

Its a thinker for me.....again! Wish they would have stuck to the rules, and I voted Nodaks, and NO Mafia I am not bitching, just wish they would have followed the rules  that were in place. Go ...............................?

The process should have been followed. It's that simple. Changing the rules midway through makes it more difficult for people to accept the nickname and unite. More controversy is the last thing this process needed. I don't believe this was a conspiracy, just poor decision making and poor leadership. 

• Upvote 3

It's funny how detached from reality this board is. Fighting hawk seemed like an afterthought here and is the most popular. There is weird outrage that the second and third choices are essentially tied so both are in the final runoff, but in reality it is the most practical decision. 

This board is fun, but completely delusional. 

Because adding that third name basically guarantees Fighting Hawks still wins. If it was only the top two, there's tons more votes to divvy up between Hawks and Roughriders.

Update on my talk with other students, I've heard from more than one person "If roughriders wins, I'm transferring"

What?? Then you are no fan of UND in the first place and, hell I'll say it, I don't want you here. Same goes for people who say "I will no longer donate to the school," please, get over yourself.

To many people clinging desperately to Fighting Sioux, and yes I agree many students voted for FH because they believed the logo was legit. Apparently no one at this school can do any basic research and believe everything they hear.

Edited by TrueSioux2000
  • Upvote 1

Edward John Peltier's photo.

Saw this going around facebook a couple weeks ago. Lots of people commenting that they LOVE the logo and will be voting for Fighting Hawks because of this logo specifically. Never thought it would get that much traction.

Because adding that third name basically guarantees Fighting Hawks still wins. If it was only the top two, there's tons more votes to divvy up between Hawks and Roughriders.

I don't know. 37% of the vote just saw their choice eliminated. That alone is more than Fighting Hawks received. Plus the week before the vote leaves more time for lobbying.