SiouxSports.com Forum

On To The Griz

geaux_sioux

I really believe that there is more to the story on Mollberg. I was surprised that he wasn't the starter at the beginning of the year. It was increasingly odd that he wasn't second on the depth chart. Yesterday's refusal to put Mollberg in the game was just bizarre to me. As some have mentioned on here he might be looking for a medical red shirt but outside of that nothing makes sense to me. 

I really believe that there is more to the story on Mollberg. I was surprised that he wasn't the starter at the beginning of the year. It was increasingly odd that he wasn't second on the depth chart. Yesterday's refusal to put Mollberg in the game was just bizarre to me. As some have mentioned on here he might be looking for a medical red shirt but outside of that nothing makes sense to me. 

I agree.....something just doesn't add up right now.

I won't pretend to know the rules, as well as the in & outs of the NCAA medical redshirt policy, but I have a hard time believing Mollberg would be granted one even if he did apply... His injury was declared a "season-ender" in 2014, not 2015.  He has participated in practices and dressed/traveled for all games in 2015. 

If anyone knows the medical redshirt rules, can you please explain... I just don't think a guy that can practice & dress for each game would be eligible??? Maybe I'm wrong...

I won't pretend to know the rules, as well as the in & outs of the NCAA medical redshirt policy, but I have a hard time believing Mollberg would be granted one even if he did apply... His injury was declared a "season-ender" in 2014, not 2015.  He has participated in practices and dressed/traveled for all games in 2015. 

If anyone knows the medical redshirt rules, can you please explain... I just don't think a guy that can practice & dress for each game would be eligible??? Maybe I'm wrong...

The way I understand it is if you're capable of playing, which he must be if he's the current backup, then you're not eligible for a medical redshirt. 

The way I understand it is if you're capable of playing, which he must be if he's the current backup, then you're not eligible for a medical redshirt. 

That about sums it up. If you're are available to play in the 2nd half of the season, and have play less than 30% of the games, you are not eligible for an extra year. He hasn't played in games, but has been considered available to play.

Just got back from Montana.  Hadn't been to a UND road game since the NCC days.  Too bad the the game went the way it did. Just a couple of observations.  It has become apparent that our WR's can't beat DBs in one on one situations.  We don't have a guy that stretches the field well enough nor guys that are shifty enough to create space on their defenders to really give a QB, any QB for that matter, much to throw to.   I do however fall in the "let's see what Molberg can do"camp. But quite honestly, opposing DB's find us pretty easy to defend when they don't have to worry about being beat deep.  We tried throwing some deep routes, but it is evident that we have nothing there.   So, I don't fall into the category of blaming the play calling. I see it as more of a personnel issue.   Because if I was calling the game as an O-cordinator and I see a defender in all our receivers back pockets-  it might just effect the way i call plays.    The  defensive secondary-- i will say this,  just make sure you at least make a tackle...so the offense is forced to at the very least snap it again-  that was frustrating to watch plays that yes, were big plays, but should have been tackled well short of being a touchdown.

Good and passionate fanbase out there...could do without that damn cannon tho.

What about Arnell and Coyne?  Maybe Ruhe or did he get one last season?

What about Arnell and Coyne?  Maybe Ruhe or did he get one last season?

I think the rule is a player has to play in less than 30% of the games, so Coyne could definitely get one & people on here said Arnell would be eligible too (injured in 3rd game).  Not sure if Ruhe had one last year... He is listed on this year's roster as a Soph after RFr in 2014 & True Fr is 2013.  Maybe he could receive one as well.  Damn, Ruhe is one kid that has had some bad luck.  Would be nice to have that pass-catching TE option in this offense, since Adler is moved between FB & TE a lot.

It seems that typically they still like to stick to the 5 years max rule when it comes to medical redshirts too. So if a player has already had one redshirt year, medical or otherwise, it's rare to get another one. 

They really don't like to give the 6th year, especially in football it seems. The most likely situations are when a player misses major parts of 2 different seasons because of injury.

It seems that typically they still like to stick to the 5 years max rule when it comes to medical redshirts too. So if a player has already had one redshirt year, medical or otherwise, it's rare to get another one. 

So Coyne & Ruhe would likely not be eligible, but Arnell would be, being he is a 3rd yr Jr.

They really don't like to give the 6th year, especially in football it seems. The most likely situations are when a player misses major parts of 2 different seasons because of injury.

Ruhe would definitely fall in the category of missing major parts of 2 seasons..

From reading the paper, sounds like Montana worked hard to get their qb confident before the game.  Also from the paper, Bubba doesn't seem too concerned about that...

Pointing out that studsruds throwing and running abilities are much better than Bartle's doesn't accomplish anything positive for this team and I was surprised to see that come from Bubba

• Upvote 1

Pointing out that studsruds throwing and running abilities are much better than Bartle's doesn't accomplish anything positive for this team and I was surprised to see that come from Bubba

The truth is what it is. May be opening the door for Mollberg to get a start if Studsrud can't go against Montana State. 

Very disappointed that the coaching staff hasn't given Mollberg a chance. I mean he can't possibly be any worse then what we saw yesterday from Bartles. Just baffling....and I give a ton of credit to Joe for being as good a team player as possible in such a difficult situation. You know it's got to be eating at him watching the team struggle and not being able to get in there.

• Upvote 1

Regardless of who the QB is, there needs to.be play calling that lets the QB have some early success in the passing game.  This means throwing on first and second down early in the game.

If you can't pass protect or get separation as a wide receiver, then it doesn't matter what pass play you call. Wide receiving corps is unspectacular.With that said, Bartels was late with throws and that is never a good trait when the pass protection is limited. His time as a starter is done as far as I can tell. It's either Mollberg or Studsrud now.