SiouxSports.com Forum

On To The Griz

geaux_sioux

Brad needs to keep his red shirt on.

Agreed, we don't need to burn more redshirts this year than we already have. As much as I wanted to see Iwarri this year, I don't think he has been used to a high enough degree to justify it. ANYWAY ... does anyone know much about Brad? Do we see him being a competent QB of the future? Does he have the skills to compete with Keaton next season, or is he 2-3 years away from playing? How is his mobility? Ultimately, do we see him contributing, or is the real answer at the QB position yet to commit to UND?

Agreed, we don't need to burn more redshirts this year than we already have. As much as I wanted to see Iwarri this year, I don't think he has been used to a high enough degree to justify it. ANYWAY ... does anyone know much about Brad? Do we see him being a competent QB of the future? Does he have the skills to compete with Keaton next season, or is he 2-3 years away from playing? How is his mobility? Ultimately, do we see him contributing, or is the real answer at the QB position yet to commit to UND?

Brad is an athlete and has the size.  I'm sure he needs to learn the college game.  But he would fit the mold of the offense.  Size speed to be a mobile QB.  I was told he has the arm strength but don't know how accurate he is.

Shades of orange and black (Rugby) will show here. I think he's a hell of an athlete, you can look to the state basketball tournament as evidence (routinely dunked, also long runs as QB, and I believe he long jumped around 22 feet, could be a little off though there). He's going to need some time with mechanics throwing the ball though, footwork specifically. It's just not something he really ever HAD to do at the Class A level. He could out-athlete most of the kids he competed against. His receivers could too, so he just never had to get super super accurate and exact in his quarterback specific stuff.

He's a smart kid from a great family and a hell of an athlete. I think pulling his redshirt this year would be a disservice to him and the program though. He's someone I wouldn't worry about getting better because I think he has a wonderful attitude, it's just you don't develop the habits of a refined QB over night.

Shades of orange and black (Rugby) will show here. I think he's a hell of an athlete, you can look to the state basketball tournament as evidence (routinely dunked, also long runs as QB, and I believe he long jumped around 22 feet, could be a little off though there). He's going to need some time with mechanics throwing the ball though, footwork specifically. It's just not something he really ever HAD to do at the Class A level. He could out-athlete most of the kids he competed against. His receivers could too, so he just never had to get super super accurate and exact in his quarterback specific stuff.

He's a smart kid from a great family and a hell of an athlete. I think pulling his redshirt this year would be a disservice to him and the program though. He's someone I wouldn't worry about getting better because I think he has a wonderful attitude, it's just you don't develop the habits of a refined QB over night.

I've heard he is making good progress as a QB and the staff likes the progress.  I believe with Studsrud out he has been travelling as emergency QB.  Sounds like he has the potential be a good one.

Edited by Hambone
  • Upvote 1

I've heard he is making good progress as a QB and the staff likes the progress.  I believe with Studsrud out he has been travelling as emergency QB.  Sounds like he has the potential be a good one.

I saw him warming up in Montana.  I hope he is a good one.

Good to hear. I like Studrud, and I'm not going to count him out going forward yet. I think he is certainly a dangerous run threat, but I would like to see a QB with more passing ability. Especially if we improve our receiving core. Sounds like Dulin could be a nice player next year if he fills out a bit, and that kid from Red Wing, MN is putting up some really big numbers. It'll be interesting to see if he plays or redshirts next year.

I dono,   I think its kind of a refreshing change of pace, so everyone can remember were talking about real humans. 

I think we need a QB change to, but the way most are posting about bartels, its like he killed off the last unicorn or something.

Go ahead and be critical, but dont be a keyboard warrior, it makes you look stupid.

if his concentration and/or performance is being impacted by his personal situation, maybe a leave of absence should be considered. (Good) Personnel and play calling need full attention.

• Upvote 1

I wonder how much Rudolph's family situation is affecting him.  It can't be easy having your family still in Minot and you trying to do your job 3 hours away.  It's got to be  hard never being able to see any of your son's football games,  especially with the great season Minot High is having.

That would be rough on a guy. But if he is having family problems maybe he should step away at the end of the season.

I wonder how much Rudolph's family situation is affecting him.  It can't be easy having your family still in Minot and you trying to do your job 3 hours away.  It's got to be  hard never being able to see any of your son's football games,  especially with the great season Minot High is having.

Interesting, didn't know that.  If his family isn't committed to him enough as a husband and father to follow him where his profession takes him, then I would view that as a problem.

The whole QB situation is alarming to say the least.   I'm not overly fond of any of them.   Studs isn't much better than average and the other two never lived up to the hype they came in with.   What has me concerned is, if Studs don't improve greatly, we deal with this same garbage next year again.   Somehow we need to recruit better QB's and enough of them to have some depth.   Look at NDSU, the great Wentz goes down and from what I'm hearing the new guy comes in and doesn't miss a beat.   This needs to change or we will be mediocre for a long time.

Studs has shown flashes of promise at times, but we need a whole lot more of this.

the new guy at NDSU came in, rushed for over 100 yds, threw for less than 100 and won. Their fans are ecstatic about that. 

UND fans have a starting QB who was 4-1 and had similar stats and were calling for his replacement cause he wasn't getting the job done.  

Ill take wins over stats. 

• Upvote 2

the new guy at NDSU came in, rushed for over 100 yds, threw for less than 100 and won. Their fans are ecstatic about that. 

UND fans have a starting QB who was 4-1 and had similar stats and were calling for his replacement cause he wasn't getting the job done.  

But NDSU's 2 QB's are (probably) going to get them into the playoffs, our 2 or 3 QB's (probably) won't.   See the difference?

studs is not going to wins us games with the passing game like he has against good teams. That is literally ever playoff game. He obviously is good enough against some poor big fluffy defenses

• Downvote 1

he passed for 126 yds. His first game. Always best to have your facts correct.   Has nothing to do with our QB situation. Kid did what they asked him to do.  What did our guys do their first games? Difficult to compare cuz competition was different but compare the first games as a freshman not some kids first game with A Soph and Junior.  

Bartels first start: 10 of 12 for 212 yds 1 TD. 6 yds rushing. No Int.  (Valpariso)

Mollberg's first start: 25 of 43 for 281 yds 2 TD's 2 Ints. 8 yds rushing.  (Montana)

Studsrud's first start: 5 of 19 for 37 yds.  0 TDs. 3 Ints.  15yds rushing.  (Eastern Washington)

Easton first start:  something like 9 of 20 for 126 yds and 1 TD and 1 Int.  Ran for over 100 yds and a TD. (Indiana State)

if you want to compare the NDSU kid to our guys, here are their first starts all as freshmen.  So much depends on your supporting cast.  It's a team game. 

Bartels first start: 10 of 12 for 212 yds 1 TD. 6 yds rushing. No Int.  (Valpariso)

Mollberg's first start: 25 of 43 for 281 yds 2 TD's 2 Ints. 8 yds rushing.  (Montana)

Studsrud's first start: 5 of 19 for 37 yds.  0 TDs. 3 Ints.  15yds rushing.  (Eastern Washington)

Easton first start:  something like 9 of 20 for 126 yds and 1 TD and 1 Int.  Ran for over 100 yds and a TD. (Indiana State)

if you want to compare the NDSU kid to our guys, here are their first starts all as freshmen.  So much depends on your supporting cast.  It's a team game. 

True freshman who were all running the scout team 2 weeks prior, correct?

Keaton Studsrud was a true freshman when he started; not the case with the other three. 

he passed for 126 yds. His first game. Always best to have your facts correct.   Has nothing to do with our QB situation. Kid did what they asked him to do.  What did our guys do their first games? Difficult to compare cuz competition was different but compare the first games as a freshman not some kids first game with A Soph and Junior.  

I stand corrected by 26 yards.

if you want to look at facts, one of the Qbs has a little more talent around him to work with.  I imagine it was a little easier for a QB who has arguably the best OL in FCS and a decent set of WRs to throw to. 

It's hard to argue against 4-1 and the first FBS win in program history. 

studs is not going to wins us games with the passing game like he has against good teams. That is literally ever playoff game. He obviously is good enough against some poor big fluffy defenses

4-1.  

Our entire team right now is not talented enough to beat elite playoff teams. Can't single out one position. 

But NDSU's 2 QB's are (probably) going to get them into the playoffs, our 2 or 3 QB's (probably) won't.   See the difference?

Are you comparing QBs or entire teams?  I would say the biggest difference is the current talent level up and down both rosters.  That's the difference.  

Hard to argue 4-1 with Studsrud at QB, 0-3 without him. 

• Upvote 1

I stand corrected by 26 yards.

if you want to look at facts, one of the Qbs has a little more talent around him to work with.  I imagine it was a little easier for a QB who has arguably the best OL in FCS and a decent set of WRs to throw to. 

It's hard to argue against 4-1 and the first FBS win in program history. 

I'm not arguing, if all you look at is wins and losses the Bison kid is undefeated. Studsrud and Mollberg lost their first starts, Bartels won his.   Studsrud is injured.  They apparently aren't going to let Mollberg play. Therefore Bartels is our guy.  I have watched our three guys play. I haven't  seen the AC kid play, but what is your point?  The kid had a successful start for them. I mentioned that a QB success depends on your supporting staff.  It also depends on your opponent.  I believe the Bison  kid has a big upside and they expect a lot from him.  They did a nice job of developing Johnson and Wentz.  We haven't done quite so well with our kids.  I believe the AC kid is bigger and faster than any of our guys.  They believe he has a strong arm, certainly stronger than Bartels or Studsrud.  Of course they are excited about him. Our 2 guys this year don't seem to have the same potential.

• Upvote 2

I'm not arguing, if all you look at is wins and losses the Bison kid is undefeated. Studsrud and Mollberg lost their first starts, Bartels won his.   Studsrud is injured.  They apparently aren't going to let Mollberg play. Therefore Bartels is our guy.  I have watched our three guys play. I haven't  seen the AC kid play, but what is your point?  The kid had a successful start for them. I mentioned that a QB success depends on your supporting staff.  It also depends on your opponent.  I believe the Bison  kid has a big upside and they expect a lot from him.  They did a nice job of developing Johnson and Wentz.  We haven't done quite so well with our kids.  I believe the AC kid is bigger and faster than any of our guys.  They believe he has a strong arm, certainly stronger than Bartels or Studsrud.  Of course they are excited about him. Our 2 guys this year don't seem to have the same potential.

I was replying to a post about how NDSUs backup QB supposedly didn't miss a beat from Wentz. 

My point was the the new kid at NDSU statistically put up similar numbers to what we see from Studsrud And most importantly win the game.  Studsrud has been doing that all year before the injury yet some still call for him to go to the bench.   I'll take 126 passing, 100+ rushing with only 1 turnover.