SiouxSports.com Forum

On To The Griz

geaux_sioux

Studsruds also throws latw, yet we managed to get some completions with him at QB, with the same receivers and pass protection.  Put any of our three QBs in a situation where you only throw when there are no other options and you're in for a tough end to the season.  We have 3 games left and won't be favored in any of them.  We will need to have some kind of passing threat available or we could end up finishing the season on a 6 game skid.

Since the medical redshirt for Joe is not an option, IF he is healthy enough (very close to if not 100%) there is no reason he shouldn't be given a chance.   With Bartels play the past two weeks, if Mollberg isn't given a shot it will certainly make me question some things.

he isn't my boy. I'm saying with Bartels struggling and Studsrud out he should get a shot. I stated my opinion. Nor more or less valid than others but I'm not going to debate with a cheerleader. 

If you looks at mechanics and talent, it's not even close.  Joe has a short release, ball held high, (Watch last year's Montana highlights)  while Bartels shot puts the ball a little, lacks some mobility, pocket presence is inconsistent. 

This is what I would do, putting on my head coach ball cap.  I'd start Joe the next 2 weeks, compare the performances to Bartels, the better QB starts the last game of the year while the other QB is released, freeing up a scholarship. (for a QB recruit)  If Joe shows well, let's have a real QB battle in the offseason and spring with Studsrud.  If Bartels wins out, prepare him to be a back-up his senior year.  I am guessing Studsy is done for the year.

• Upvote 1

If you looks at mechanics and talent, it's not even close.  Joe has a short release, ball held high, (Watch last year's Montana highlights)  while Bartels shot puts the ball a little, lacks some mobility, pocket presence is inconsistent. 

This is what I would do, putting on my head coach ball cap.  I'd start Joe the next 2 weeks, compare the performances to Bartels, the better QB starts the last game of the year while the other QB is released, freeing up a scholarship. (for a QB recruit)  If Joe shows well, let's have a real QB battle in the offseason and spring with Studsrud.  If Bartels wins out, prepare him to be a back-up his senior year.  I am guessing Studsy is done for the year.

I saw a tweet from a media person not affiliated with UND that said Bartels has the longest release he has ever seen at the FCS level.  :(

I'm no QB coach or even close to an expert by an means, but to my un-trained eye, I've always thought Bartels had very flawed mechanics... His feet are terrible (& he looks so heavy-footed out there), throwing motion & release are very bad & anytime pressure comes he heaves it up off his back foot.  I was very surprised he was listed at the #2 at the beginning of the season.  After watching him the past 2 games, there is no doubt in my mind that he is not the 2nd best QB, & it's not even close...

I agree 100%... Give Joe a shot to see what he can do & hopefully let a healthy Mollberg & healthy Studsrud battle it out through spring & fall camp.

I'm no QB coach or even close to an expert by an means, but to my un-trained eye, I've always thought Bartels had very flawed mechanics... His feet are terrible (& he looks so heavy-footed out there), throwing motion & release are very bad & anytime pressure comes he heaves it up off his back foot.  I was very surprised he was listed at the #2 at the beginning of the season.  After watching him the past 2 games, there is no doubt in my mind that he is not the 2nd best QB, & it's not even close...

I agree 100%... Give Joe a shot to see what he can do & hopefully let a healthy Mollberg & healthy Studsrud battle it out through spring & fall camp.

I forgot that part, off his back foot......those throws are just ugly!

Rudolph is the OC.  The OC makes the call on who is behind center...not Bubba the HC.  Joe not getting a shot at this stage of the season rests on Rudolph IMO.

He needs to be gone at the end of the year, if we didn't have a running game, we wouldn't win a game all year.

My thoughts on Missoula (other than the actual game):

Great set-up.  With the on-campus stadium located right across the river from downtown Missoula (with hotels and copious numbers of bars and restaurants), it makes it very convenient for traveling fans.  There was no need to rent a car or take taxis as everywhere you needed to go was within walking distance.

Great game-day atmosphere - the bars close to campus were hopping and tailgating was great. The setting is obviously very picturesque.  The stadium is very cool.  I haven't been to other FCS venues, but I can't imagine anything better than Montana.

Great fans - The Montana fans were very nice and personable.  Many went out of their way to approach our group, thank us for coming, and talk football.  Maybe I'm just too used to opposing hockey fans, but I didn't realize that opposing fans can actually be cool.  I'm sure the ass-kicking on the field contributed to their good spirits, but they were nice before the game too.  

Nickname Curiosity - It got quite tiresome to answer the same nickname question over and over, but Montana fans' curiosity with our nickname saga is understandable.  As a lifelong staunch Fighting Sioux supporter, I never thought I'd be saying I will be glad when this is over.  But after this weekend, that is how I feel.

Overall, if you can afford the airfare, I highly recommend going to Missoula for a game. 

I really enjoyed the hospitality for the Montana fans.  tailgating before the game many thanking me for making the trip.  the hotels were loaded with Graz fans.  I stayed across the river and walked downtown before the game and to the stadium to tailgate and enjoy the first part of the game.  I was upset reading their forum before the game about JJ getting hurt last year and blaming Ratelle for celebrating the sack.  of course they all said he celebrated the injury.  I was seeing red on reading that.  But the tailgating was very friendly and fans in the stands didn't mind me celebrating the first run from scrimmage.  I was in the endzone and saw the hole Santiago ran threw. 

The DB's will learn.

We need Studsrud to manage the game.  I don't believe the Griz would have scored twice right before the end of the first half.  Also we would have score our second TD instead of the FG with Studsrud.

If he is purposely not playing Mollberg for any reason other than medical that's a problem.

is it a problem? Devils advocate but what if he doesn't fit the culture? What if he's living a non FCS-football productive lifestyle?

• Downvote 3

is it a problem? Devils advocate but what if he doesn't fit the culture? What if he's living a non FCS-football productive lifestyle?

Academic all conference. 4.0 GPA. Last semester. Supportive of his teammates.  Never been arrested. Stays at UND in summer. Works with special needs kids. He will be first college FB player in history benched for going to class.  Having the opinion he shouldn't start or play if that's how you feel is fine. Taking a cheap shot like that can unfairly hurt a guys reputation. You need to retract that.

• Upvote 3

Academic all conference. 4.0 GPA. Last semester. Supportive of his teammates.  Never been arrested. Stays at UND in summer. Works with special needs kids. He will be first college FB player in history benched for going to class.  Having the opinion he shouldn't start or play if that's how you feel is fine. Taking a cheap shot like that can unfairly hurt a guys reputation. You need to retract that.

something seriously wrong if this is true.

In regards to the QB depth chart I will side on giving Bubba the benefit of the doubt.  Plain and simple, somehow, some way, Keaton wins ballgames.  He is not the prettiest, but he has good feet and manages the game the way the OC and Bubba want it managed.  Bartels has played well at times, but not recently.  He was #2 all fall and deserves a fair shot.  Mollberg has had health issues and probably will continue to have them in the future, inside or outside of football.  My best guess is that later in the game, Bubba did not want to put Mollberg into a situation where the Griz defense was coming hard and fast with absolutely no concern for the run.  Mollberg would have been a sitting duck.  I am confident that Mollberg will get a shot this week if Keaton is not ready.  Bartels may start, but I am sure the coaches will do their best to have Joe ready if Keaton is not ready.  I am sure they will be telling that to everybody who dresses... "Be ready.... If the guy on the field is struggling... you are next in..."

something seriously wrong if this is true.

don't know. I don't talk to the coaches. I'm trying to point out he is a good student and outstanding young man. There is no reason for class B to even hint at character or work ethic issue. I may disagree with those don't think he can play as well as I think he can and my opinion isn't any more valid than theirs. I'm just a fan.  No call for unwarranted cheap shots.