SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: Drake

geaux_sioux

The defense today was outstanding. Outside of Drakes first drive and a couple others they had their way with the bulldogs. When they needed a sack, they got a sack. They dropped about three ints on top of it. Not to mention that they had no help from the offense in the second half. Literally none. 

The kick coverage was improved big time still not perfect. They need to be even better next week.

The offense had a couple moments, most of them passing. The OL was horrendous, most of the time. I did feel like we missed Georges. I also had a feeling that maybe they're holding Smith out til NDSU. Maybe he'll be the secret weapon like Santiago was against WYO. Also I felt like the play calling was about as simple as possible to get the win and go into next game with putting as little on film as possible.

I'm not the least bit impressed by this win. It was ugly. It was painful. It wasn't what the fans needed to see. But I think it's what the team needed. This struggle against a more experienced but less talented opponent has illustrated to the team that they need to execute at 100% against every team they play. Obviously we're gonna get our ass kicked next game if we're not ready to go. I think this game will galvanize the team and give Bubba and co plenty of ass chewing material this week. 

So I guess in a way is doing poorly this week is a good thing to me.

Like I said, "I LOVE good defense!"

Defense shored very well after the first drive. Stayed pretty basic unless they needed a sack and then proceeded to blitz and get one.  Dropped INT's were a little disappointing.

Offense clearly didn't show anything more than they had to.  Drake sold out to stop the run, UND responded by throwing the ball pretty well until they were up 3 scores (should have been 4), Rudolph clearly put the playbook away in the second half. The fumbles are definitely a huge concern and the O-Line blocking wasn't anywhere what I thought it would be and those are issues that need to be fixed.  That being said, I also think it was incredibly obvious that UND showed absolutely nothing more than they had to yesterday.  They could have kept their foot on the gas but opted not to. Leaves questions for the fans but it also doesn't give the FargoU staff anything extra to work with.

So you are saying the coaches were looking ahead to next week?

Edited by Old Time Hockey

Sorry to you people who saw a "Mussman team" out there but I didn't. They tackled and played defense. Drake was 0-13 on third down at one point, a hallmark of a Mussman team was being horrible on third down and not being able to get off the field. Let's stop with the Mussman team comments just because the game wasn't fun to watch.

I would agree with this. Mussman's teams were dreadful to watch in every facet plus they were undisciplined.

• Upvote 1

So you are saying the coaches were looking ahead to next week?

No, I'm saying that they didn't show even close to all their cards for next week (or conference play for that matter) nor did they need to.  I don't recall a single designed run for the QB nor anything that more or less wasn't some variation of a power run after UND got up.  Base formations pretty much across the board. UND got a comfortable lead and then quit throwing the ball, which they were doing with little issue.  Seemed anytime the defense wanted to ramp it up and get pressure, they were able to do it and were successful.  Why reach deep when you don't have to?  That being said, UND should have been able to continue to control the game even playing vanilla and struggled, not to mention the fumbling issue, the coaches have plenty of material to work on this weekend.

Sorry to you people who saw a "Mussman team" out there but I didn't. They tackled and played defense. Drake was 0-13 on third down at one point, a hallmark of a Mussman team was being horrible on third down and not being able to get off the field. Let's stop with the Mussman team comments just because the game wasn't fun to watch.

sorry but I saw what I saw and that was a team that played very poorly in 2nd half.  I agree that it wasn't to the muss level but parts of the game were mussmanesque  

Too many mistakes late when all we had to do was be average and if we did Drake had no chance.   If drake was 0-13 on 3rd down at one point and finished 3-17 they were 3-4 late and we didn't get off the field on 3rd down.

I also want to say that I am a big Bubba fan and of what he is doing.  He is turning things around  and we will get there but it isn't an overnight fix.  

Edited by Siouxperman8

sorry but I saw what I saw and that was a team that played very poorly in 2nd half.  I agree that it wasn't to the muss level but parts of the game were mussmanesque  

Too many mistakes late when all we had to do was be average and if we did Drake had no chance.   If drake was 0-13 on 3rd down at one point and finished 3-17 they were 3-4 late and we didn't get off the field on 3rd down

The end of the game gaffe was cause by the offense, not the defense. If we can manage a couple first downs then Drake goes away quietly. Instead, we couldn't move the ball on the ground and they, hopefully, scared a little life and desperation into our young team. 

As a side note, I'm happy that we had this result and NDSU dominated Weber. We're coming in hungry and humble and they're coming in fat and happy after restoring order. 

The end of the game gaffe was cause by the offense, not the defense. If we can manage a couple first downs then Drake goes away quietly. Instead, we couldn't move the ball on the ground and they, hopefully, scared a little life and desperation into our young team. 

As a side note, I'm happy that we had this result and NDSU dominated Weber. We're coming in hungry and humble and they're coming in fat and happy after restoring order. 

agree on both points.  Fumbled snap was a killer too

4 game win streak baby............

The offensive scheme and the play calling is fine.  The problem tonight was the ineptitude of the O-Line, and the fact that the two players that handle the pigskin the most for us treated it like it was a hot potato (that's Potato Bowl humor).

Seriously, 7 fumbles?  That's ridiculous.  Are the balls over-inflated?

The defense was great as they have been for the most part since Bubba took over.  But they need to force a turnover at some point.  

Is this team as good as some thought after the Wyoming win?  Probably not.  Is this team as bad as some think after the Drake win?  Probably not.  It is probably somewhere in the middle.

There is just one game left before Big Sky play starts.  Need to re-focus this week and pay attention to what is right in front of us and use the next game to get better.

Now, the only thing worse than O-Line play tonight was possibly the student section AGAIN!  They were great in the first half but then disappear at half.  Come on, it is the home opener.  The Potato Bowl.  Coming off an FBS win.  Things were going good for the most part in the first half.  These  students today suck.

And the Alerus just can't get the intro right can they?  I thought it was finally pretty good the last two years where they killed the lights and ran out to Welcome to the Jungle.  It was solid.  Now they just sort of appear.  No build up or nothing.  How can the Alerus alwaya be so bad at this small yet exciting detail, while the REA is always so good at it.  The new PA guy leaves a lot to be desired too.

4 game win streak baby.............

Just win baby.........

you must PA child...he sounds like a scared ten year old boy

Thread tangent.......K Dawg is ginormous! Bigger than when I saw him at the Ralph last March.

unfortunately, he's never going to shrink. I'm sure glad he wasn't that big when I was hauling him around in high school. My Plymouth Horizon would of been maxed out. 

Correct me if I am wrong, as I don't know a whole lot about coaching or defenses.  Is it true that both Wyoming and NDSU play the same type defense, Tampa two?  If so I would think the majority of the practice to date for UND's offense would be against that type of defense being that their two toughest opponents in the first three games run it.  That does not excuse the fumbles or penalties, but may explain why the running game wasn't firing yesterday.  Also, Drake came to play.  Hats off to them.

Edited by GeauxSioux

Too many mistakes late when all we had to do was be average and if we did Drake had no chance.   If drake was 0-13 on 3rd down at one point and finished 3-17 they were 3-4 late and we didn't get off the field on 3rd down.

I also want to say that I am a big Bubba fan and of what he is doing.  He is turning things around  and we will get there but it isn't an overnight fix.  

That will happen to any defense that only gets 3 downs off at a time the whole second half.