SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: Drake

geaux_sioux

I watched the game on my phone so I didn't really get a good look on what was happening with the oline. So, here goes what I saw. 7 fumbles, enough said with our back field. Iverson will be back next week so Adler can play tight end full time and Fieldler can go back to the bench. He was awful yesterday. I saw twice where he got used on the line of scrimmage and cost us huge runs. They had him stacked in the backfield atleast one time where I saw him stand straight up and tippy toe into the line. He's got a long ways to go. I thought in the first half if we wanted to keep throwing the ball we could of had success. Second half we couldn't do anything.  Awful. 

Defensively we played well. Chris Brown didn't have the best game but not really a concern everybody has those. Reyes has got to be more disciplined. Too many penelties altogether as well. 

I can't argue that the team did little to nothing to keep anybody that is on the fence wanting to stay to see more as the 2nd half progressed. It was indeed brutal. My comment was directed more at the numer of kids that left right after the first half. I'd estimate that at least half left during the halftime. The student section was nice and full to start with, and was nice to see. I was just surprised so many left before the 2nd half even started. The first half was hardly flawless, but it wasn't terrible by any means. The D was great and the O was moving the ball through the air. I guess they maybe just figured it was going to be 42-0 by the end of the game.

I wouldn't point fingers at the students. The blame first and foremost is on the team, particularly the offense, for their bull$%!# execution in the second half. Also, the Alerus Center experience is downright embarrassing. I would not feel comfortable hosting an NDSU rube at a UND game because I wouldn't hear the end of it in terms of general atmosphere difference between the FargoDome and Alerus Center. They need to cut the lights and actually amp up the place when the team is introduced. They need to have a better sound system and play more music throughout the game to get the crowd into it. But first and foremost, the team needs to play/execute at a half-way decent level. Yesterday, both the football team and the Alerus Center gave an expecting, curious crowd nothing but disappointment and reason not to come back. 

Really disappointing performance. The coaches, players, and UND athletic department/Alerus Center have to get their !@#$ in order. 

We needed a deep threat yesterday. Second half, Drake had no fear of getting beat by our WRs and our QB wasn't getting rid of the ball.  I expect to see more of the same this week with NDSU licking the chops. 

With Georges out for an extended period, I wonder if the team wouldn't be better served moving Santiago back to WR.  It looks to me like he is the one guy left active that has "next level" speed that can possibly stretch the field and keep defenses honest......

• Upvote 1

With Georges out for an extended period, I wonder if the team wouldn't be better served moving Santiago back to WR.  It looks to me like he is the one guy left active that has "next level" speed that can possibly stretch the field and keep defenses honest......

if he can't hang on to it at the running back spot, move him back to WR. His fumble at the goal line killed momentum yesterday. 

I was also disappointed is the Students in the 2nd half.  But to be fair a lot of the non-student crowd also left in the 2nd half.  I was in Section 205 and there were hardly anyone around us in the 2nd half.

The defense needs to catch the ball.  Way too many interceptions and pick 6's missed. 

In the end we won and that is what matters, but put up the same effort next week and we will get killed.  I expect a much better effort next week.

I wouldn't point fingers at the students. The blame first and foremost is on the team, particularly the offense, for their bull$%!# execution in the second half. Also, the Alerus Center experience is downright embarrassing. I would not feel comfortable hosting an NDSU rube at a UND game because I wouldn't hear the end of it in terms of general atmosphere difference between the FargoDome and Alerus Center. They need to cut the lights and actually amp up the place when the team is introduced. They need to have a better sound system and play more music throughout the game to get the crowd into it. But first and foremost, the team needs to play/execute at a half-way decent level. Yesterday, both the football team and the Alerus Center gave an expecting, curious crowd nothing but disappointment and reason not to come back. 

Really disappointing performance. The coaches, players, and UND athletic department/Alerus Center have to get their !@#$ in order. 

Boom!  You nailed it.  Before the leap to Div 1 I went to a lot of games.  Now, not so much.  I would have rather been golfing or doing something else yesterday then go to that game.  All the apologists can blame this and that, but like I have said time and time again, get a better product and people will support football.  The sad thing is that after the Wyoming win, people were primed to get on board.  I talked to a lot of people at the game yesterday that said this was the first game in a long time.  Huge opportunity lost!

• Upvote 3

They do but UND can't afford the cost of your booze and the $750,000 extra per year for athletes Cost of Attendence.  Faison said the savings would cover 2/3's of the $750,000.  

Exactly.  As Faison said, some things will have to be looked at and cuts may need to be made.   Apparently it was either spend $750,000 for FCOA, or spend $750,000 to fund gfhockey's habit.   I think the correct choice was made.

Full Cost of Attendance vs. Full Cost of Alcoholism.

Edited by Siouxphan27

How were you able to do this?  Did you just use a browser? The Big Sky app does not work this year for me.

I got onto it from UNDsports.com. Clicked on live video that sent me to the Big Sky site. Unfortunately my 60 inch smart TV wouldn't support the live feed. Which left me watching the game on my 2 inch iPhone screen. I need to figure out that out by the end of September. 

Why the abbreviated intro?   Lights on,  no hype.   WTF was that? 

I agree, I was watching the video screen then before you know it the players were already coming out of the helmet. No Welcome to the Jungle, no big intro (that PA guy sucked) and the lights stayed on. The positive I saw away from the game was stats in the scoreboard along with out of town scores, the smoke when players come out and the fireworks after a TD. Why don't they show replays during a challenge? Is that an NCAA rule? Also the announcements over the speakers were horrid, I couldn't hear the guy. I was in section 215 and I couldn't tell if the student section was leaving except the noise was quieter maybe it had to do with the poor play in the second half. There was no electricity on the field after halftime. I don't see the REA having these issues, it just seems like the Alerus can't get it right.

Defense shored very well after the first drive. Stayed pretty basic unless they needed a sack and then proceeded to blitz and get one.  Dropped INT's were a little disappointing.

Offense clearly didn't show anything more than they had to.  Drake sold out to stop the run, UND responded by throwing the ball pretty well until they were up 3 scores (should have been 4), Rudolph clearly put the playbook away in the second half. The fumbles are definitely a huge concern and the O-Line blocking wasn't anywhere what I thought it would be and those are issues that need to be fixed.  That being said, I also think it was incredibly obvious that UND showed absolutely nothing more than they had to yesterday.  They could have kept their foot on the gas but opted not to. Leaves questions for the fans but it also doesn't give the FargoU staff anything extra to work with.

• Upvote 1

I have been watching Sioux football for over 30 years and the second half offense was as bad as I have ever seen.  Get a couple of frosh to dance on the sidelines and you couldn't tell this team from a Muss team in his prime.  Absolutely no line push, turnovers, and play calling that would make a Jr. High look conservative.  Bubba can hand out all of the tickets he wants, but if he puts this product out on the field again he will lose most of the students for at least a year.  Bubba sold the farm to get two away games with the Bison and he darned well better bring a team that comes to play.  

How about fundamentals? 

On Santiago's first fumble and other runs the ball was in the wrong arm. 

Studsrud had a non forced fumble with the QB/center exchange, had the ball on the ground twice more, and panicked once near his own end zone and luckily it was ruled a forward pass.  

Can we just catch on ball on defense this year?  That would help.

Even some tackling was sloppy.

DBs need to know when the QB is likely to float a 50/50 ball.

O line needs to see the wizard, looking for their heart.

Need to clean this crap up.  We will see how good our coaching staff is this week.

• Upvote 3