SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

3 hours ago, gsiouxo said:

With past bitching by Bison for having too many Valley teams in their bracket really paid off this year.....JMU got hosed for being one seed...pretty obvious 3 of 4 (JMU, Weber, and SDSU can throw in N. Iowa as they would have at least given the Bison a physical game) best teams in tournament are in JMU side of bracket....after watching Sam Houston the last two weeks Bison would get a better game from their backups!!!

Oh, you want ndsu to play all the valley teams again in the playoffs?

7 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Second and inches is one of the best times to pass. Low-risk high reward. 

Play Action. Max Protect and throw it deep where only 1 guy can have a chance to catch it.

We like to run a play that starts 4-5 yards deep and hopefully gets back to line of scrimmage.

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Second and inches is one of the best times to pass. Low-risk high reward. 

If your throwing a low risk pass and not a long ball. I would take the first down on the ground and keep them on their heels. If your moving the ball on the ground you dont stop. You grind them down.

7 minutes ago, bison73 said:

If your throwing a low risk pass and not a long ball. I would take the first down on the ground and keep them on their heels. If your moving the ball on the ground you dont stop. You grind them down.

The only context you gave was second and inches. It’s like a free down if you’re moving it on the ground at will. Safeties should be creeping up if that’s true and they should be susceptible to a PA deep ball. 

11 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

It's been mentioned many times, he apparently just can' comprehend Bubba's first true recruiting class would have only been sophomores this year and that the lack of food depth in the upper classes isn' necessarily on him, other than perhaps not bringing in transfers. Which the transfer thing is kinda funny..... you get many people say that transfers and juco isn' the way to go and they often don' work out, but yet then are disappointed when we don't have more. 

So transfers don't count in your assessment? And Studsrud being a senior QB doesn't count because he's not apart of a "true" recruiting class? These miracle classes of "his" that are redshirt sophomores and redshirt freshmen were no where to be found when the depth issue arose in 2017.  But the depth woes apparently have nothing to do with Bubba and his staff's recruiting? Man, that's just foolish. I don't think you can comprehend that Bubba doesn't walk on water and he has failed some thus far. 

Lastly, people *actually* get disappointed when a team only wins 27 percent of their games.  

Bubba chose this program and the players that were already on the roster, they didn't choose him. He needs to make the moves to win and people on here need to stop making excuses regarding "his" players. The depth is flawed due to very questionable recruiting and the schematics/strategy is mediocre at best from Bubba and his staff. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I've seen it a few times in the last pages of this thread and now I must channel my inner Mafia-grammar-man:

apart (adverb): separated by a distance; at a specified distance from each other in time or space.

a part (noun): a piece or segment or portion of something such as an object, activity, or period of time, which combined with other pieces makes up the whole.

They used to set lepers apart (away from) the population even though they are still a part of (counted in) the population. 

Don't get me started on your/you're or its/it's or whose/who's. You might set me off on an assure/ensure/insure rant. 

• Upvote 1

And some on here need to understand that 3 recruiting classes is not an excuse but a reality to better understand the depth issue and that the injuries this season were not something that could possibly be expected and that NO coach expects that many freshmen (RS and true) to fill in for All Americans and All Conference guys without missing a beat.

I get that you want Bubba and Co out and as I've said before, many will join you next year if the team has only a normal number of injuries and doesn't make the playoffs. That said, it's not that those of us who do NOT support canning Bubba now are less passionate about winning or that we suffer from low standards somehow. 

All of us want W's as much as you do. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Support Bubba, first. If he needs to make coaching changes, he will in good time.

Recognize that culture is the most important thing to change and also the most difficult.

Depth needs to be addressed.  Like I said, some culture issues will iron themselves out if a qualified replacement is at your back door.

Get a positive community momentum behind the team in 2018. I read thearticke about praise given coaches and GAs going into the library and other places handing out tickets and motivating students to come to the home games. Honestly, I looked at this as desperate, not positive. Maybe I am getting too old, but what does that say about student interest?

Quit worrying about NDSU and focus on UND....take high road with their Mogen David 20/20 Whine Club.

i am not a judge of all these finer points of football but I sure like the info on recruits....Bubba must be doung something right....

injuries suck, all sports and all levels.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Fix the offensive line. 

Get the backs somewhere to run, and by association Ketteringham (or whomever) time to pass, and suddenly you move the ball, possess the ball, and put less exposure and wear on your defense. You are dictating pace of play, style of play, and you are punishing the other team. 

I have no problem with a 1st and 10 dive over LG if it nets 5 yards. Heck, if it nets 5 yards call it again. 

But that requires an offensive line. 

Agreed.  Or, if you don't have the horses to do that, do something different on first down.  Or second down.  Put the defense on their heels without having to physically put them on their heels.  But none of that's happening with this regime. 

Rudolph will keep guiding the sleigh straight into the snowbank as tiny tots with their eyes all aglow will find it hard to watch, amiright?

I hope I am wrong, but I think anyone thinking playoffs next year is being extremely optimistic.  Being independent we may need 8 wins to get in.     

• Upvote 1

RE: 2017 FCS playoffs

How in the world does a one-dimensional team like Wofford get to the quarters of the FCS playoffs? 

Even at their most dedicated to the veer, run run run, point in their program's history NDSU still passed the ball about a dozen times a game. A dozen passes is Wofford's season

Just now, jdub27 said:

That Georgia Southern bunch seemed to do pretty well being one-dimensional when they were in the FCS.

At their roll GSU would still throw 10-12 times per game. I'm not sure Wofford has passing plays other than drawn in the dirt as needed. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:37 PM, Oxbow6 said:

They are a ND Class 1A offense at the FCS level. Zero yards pass at the half!

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

RE: 2017 FCS playoffs

How in the world does a one-dimensional team like Wofford get to the quarters of the FCS playoffs? 

I stopped watching at half................................Wofford was absolutely horrendous.

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I stopped watching at half................................Wofford was absolutely horrendous.

I wish I had my oversees betting account this open.  20 points was a pretty easy cover.  Here is why - 

Wofford beat Furman by 1 point, Mercer by 1 point, Garrdner-Webb by 3 points, Citadal by 4 points, and Won 2 overtime games (Western Carolina and Chattanooga).  They also had a win against Virginia Military Institute, who sucks.  Lost to Samford and the Gamecocks took it easy on them.  Wofford was 6-7 key plays from a .500 season.  Their playoff win was against conference foe Furman, same crappy conference.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

At their roll GSU would still throw 10-12 times per game. I'm not sure Wofford has passing plays other than drawn in the dirt as needed. 

Which is exactly what Wofford's average was on the year. Didn't watch the game, but their QB had pretty decent numbers for an option QB. The thing you can't do as a one-dimensional offense is get behind multiple scores because you turn the ball over 2 times in a matter of 4 minutes right in front of the opponents end zone.

13 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Which is exactly what Wofford's average was on the year. Didn't watch the game, but their QB had pretty decent numbers for an option QB. The thing you can't do run an offense from 1977 and think you can compete because you turn the ball over 2 times in a matter of 4 minutes right in front of the opponents end zone.

23 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

So transfers don't count in your assessment? And Studsrud being a senior QB doesn't count because he's not apart of a "true" recruiting class? These miracle classes of "his" that are redshirt sophomores and redshirt freshmen were no where to be found when the depth issue arose in 2017.  But the depth woes apparently have nothing to do with Bubba and his staff's recruiting? Man, that's just foolish. I don't think you can comprehend that Bubba doesn't walk on water and he has failed some thus far. 

Lastly, people *actually* get disappointed when a team only wins 27 percent of their games.  

Bubba chose this program and the players that were already on the roster, they didn't choose him. He needs to make the moves to win and people on here need to stop making excuses regarding "his" players. The depth is flawed due to very questionable recruiting and the schematics/strategy is mediocre at best from Bubba and his staff. 

Believe me....I was EXTREMELY disappointed in this season too!!  Also, I don't think Bubba walks on water, this season was definitely a strike against him in my book.  However I'm giving him more than one strike.  And yes the lack of transfers IS on him, but maybe they tried to get some transfers at LB but weren't able to land some of the guys they wanted and instead of getting a warm body that may have been average at best just to get a warm body in there, they decided not to.  Obviously given the injuries this past year that was the wrong gamble and almost any warm bodies with size would have helped at ILB. If they didn't try at all to get any transfers at ILB last year, definitely on him.  Last year sucked....it sucked bad, and I have a feeling it probably humbled all of the coaches and I'm sure looking back they probably think about things they would of, or should have done differently.  Hoping it only  makes them work even harder this off season and next year so this never happens again.  

As for Studs, no I don't really fully count him as Bubba's recruit.  Bubba's staff gets credit for getting him to keep his commitment, but I don't give them credit for finding and recruiting him. Thank goodness we had Studs though.  With that said, hopefully the next 3 QB's that Bubba did bring in surpass Stud's performance.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Believe me....I was EXTREMELY disappointed in this season too!!  Also, I don't think Bubba walks on water, this season was definitely a strike against him in my book.  However I'm giving him more than one strike.  And yes the lack of transfers IS on him, but maybe they tried to get some transfers at LB but weren't able to land some of the guys they wanted and instead of getting a warm body that may have been average at best just to get a warm body in there, they decided not to.  Obviously given the injuries this past year that was the wrong gamble and almost any warm bodies with size would have helped at ILB. If they didn't try at all to get any transfers at ILB last year, definitely on him.  Last year sucked....it sucked bad, and I have a feeling it probably humbled all of the coaches and I'm sure looking back they probably think about things they would of, or should have done differently.  Hoping it only  makes them work even harder this off season and next year so this never happens again.  

As for Studs, no I don't really fully count him as Bubba's recruit.  Bubba's staff gets credit for getting him to keep his commitment, but I don't give them credit for finding and recruiting him. Thank goodness we had Studs though.  With that said, hopefully the next 3 QB's that Bubba did bring in surpass Stud's performance.  

To cap this whole thing off with my final thoughts:

Injuries suck. They obviously suck for the student-athletes and their family but they also suck for the team and the fans. They *do* affect the team's ability. Back-ups are back-ups and there is a drop off. I fully acknowledge that. 

With that said, UND and Bubba can't dwell on that. Fans can't dwell on that. You can't make that an excuse and fold it up - UND needs way better depth to combat it. No reason a "good" program should allow injuries to flip the script from top 10 FCS team to conference bottom feeder within a matter of weeks. That happened to UND in 2017, though. "Good" programs can certainly handle injuries better than "poor" programs. It is on Bubba to correct the depth issues. If he can't following 2018, then yes, I do think he and his staff should be relieved of duties. 

It is unfortunate that Bubba hasn't had the luxury of phase II of the HPC yet, as that would certainly help recruiting and depth building. 

Hopefully this 2017-2018 recruiting class improves the situation and the injury bug isn't as bad in 2018 as it was in 2017.