SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

a few conferences abstain from even partaking in the playoffs

If your conference doesn't participate, you don't get to be the champion.  That's not the fault of the team that became the champion.

and a few other non-deserving conferences get auto bids

So the hockey and basketball tournaments are also flawed?

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

If your conference doesn't participate, you don't get to be the champion.  That's not the fault of the team that became the champion.

but if the best team all year is harvard 10-0 and the ivy league doesn't send a team doesn't that water down the fcs playoffs...if the second best team was alcorn state and the swac chose not to send them to the playoffs doesn't that water down the fcs playoffs....imagine if duke was 34-0 in bball and the acc doesn't send a team to the tourney and a team like butler wins it all with a record of 21-13...wouldn't that be a little odd?

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

but if the best team all year is harvard 10-0 and the ivy league doesn't send a team doesn't that water down the fcs playoffs...if the second best team was alcorn state and the swac chose not to send them to the playoffs doesn't that water down the fcs playoffs....imagine if duke was 34-0 in bball and the acc doesn't send a team to the tourney and a team like butler wins it all with a record of 21-13...wouldn't that be a little odd?

It Butler wins the tournament, then they are the champion.  If you choose not to participate in the tournament, you forfeit any claim to the championship (and should probably just drop the sport).

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

the hockey and basketball tourney's a re not flawed because teams are trying to get into the tourney...FCS playoffs not so much anymore.

18 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

a few conferences abstain from even partaking in the playoffs and a few other non-deserving conferences get auto bids...take 16 teams...no auto bids, no byes,...and roll with it.

You can’t use injuries as a reason for us “not being right there” and than say you shouldn’t have at large bids IMO.  

Injuries happen in football, at large bids give a team a chance if they have some guys miss a game or two to injury.  

I feel the publicity that NDSU generates actually helps us in the long run.   People will notice us when they see NDSU.   It sure isn't hurting us when we play them in a few years.     Let them win this one, our day is coming.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

that was the look on my face when i found out last year that a THIRD FCS conference decided that playing in the FCS PLAYOFFS wasn't "worth it" 

Maybe that's because they realized that they will never have a chance? They have great marching bands but quality football no so much. 

5 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Maybe that's because they realized that they will never have a chance? They have great marching bands but quality football no so much. 

maybe for a schools like harvard or alcorn state...

losing in the first round of the ncaa bball tourney > winning an fcs championship

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

maybe for a schools like harvard or alcorn state...

losing in the first round of the ncaa bball tourney > winning an fcs championship

I do not understand why the Ivy League does not participate in the playoffs. I was referring to the MEAC and SWAC. 

39 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I do not understand why the Ivy League does not participate in the playoffs. I was referring to the MEAC and SWAC. 

If the AD's, coaches and players called the shots they would but the elitist snobs that run the universities(mainly Harvard) will not lower themselves to compete in the FCS playoffs. 

40 minutes ago, LuvHockey said:

I wouldn't want to take an Ivy final either. How would you construct every answer in a politically correct manner without a brain sprain??

I would love to take an Ivy final. That'd mean i somehow got in to one. 

Sidenote: if you ever get a chance to chat with an Ivy grad, ask them questions about it. Kinda an odd bunch. 

8 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If we were in NDSU's position, I would not be making overconfident comments about how all my team has to do is not turn it over and they'll come home "smiling". That completely ignores the fact that JMU is the defending FCS champion and is on a 26 game winning streak AND beat the mighty Bison last year in the Not-So Fabulous Fargodome. You don't take games like that lightly. And I wouldn't if UND was facing JMU for all the marbles. Overconfidence has brought down many a dynasty in sports. It is the primary reason why they eventually crumble.

And we are under no obligation to kiss NDSU's collective backsides regarding their success. Just like they are under no obligation to slobber praise on our hockey team winning NCAA titles. It's a rivalry, not a mutual admiration society. That is how rivalries work. And this is Siouxsports.com, not Bisonville. We can and will take shots at NDSU. As long as their fans keep calling hockey a "fake sport", I will continue my smack talk.

You realize the comment you are referring to was made by a UND  fan who hates the Bison right? Heitkamp can say he hopes NDSU wins but we all know he doesn't. I for one am a Bison fan that is not overconfident, and most of the ones I know are not either. If both teams play cleanly, it is a toss up. Sure there are a few ignorant fans that are overconfident but not many, and they are ones that don't really follow FCS football. I can guarantee you the NDSU players and coaches are not overconfident. They beleive they will go into the game and win it, like they would against anybody, but they jnow it won't be easy. 

2 hours ago, mooncountry said:

I mean no offense, but you do come across very emotional as opposed to logical/factual in these conversations. Like 512 was saying.

So it’s okay for Bison folks to say we had a soft schedule and played nobody in 2016 that’s why we won the conference but I say they played cupcakes in the playoffs and it’s in bad taste. Umm what?!?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

I could be wrong, but I thought this decision was made on a year to year basis. If the conference champion is in a position where they would make the playoffs they can take the playoff bid and let their bowl game slide to the next team?