SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA To Sanction UND if School Does Not Adopt New Nickname

Benny Baker

No. That is just you regurgitating a talking point you read or heard on talk radio. But if you find comfort in simplification and over-generalizing I am happy for you. However you may be disappointed to learn that I am against both abortion (most of them anyway) and trophy hunting.

Ditto for me as well.

No. That is just you regurgitating a talking point you read or heard on talk radio. But if you find comfort in simplification and over-generalizing I am happy for you. However you may be disappointed to learn that I am against both abortion (most of them anyway) and trophy hunting.

You mean stations like America Left, MSNBC, CNN and various web pages like Huffpost and Daily KOS? :p

You mean stations like America Left, MSNBC, CNN and various web pages like Huffpost and Daily KOS? :p

Yes, and add Fox "News" as long as we are making a list. Cable "news" is about entertainment.

• Upvote 2

Actually, CNN has turned into a milk toast network that tries to be all things to all people. And that doesn't work all that well in this era of 500 channels and audience fragmentation.

That's actually very funny.

• Upvote 1

This is the most helpful thing I've seen posted on this aspect in a LONG time. Of course, the NCAA has to keep an air of ambiguity to them. I'm guessing from this e-mail, that if every game sounds like the Fargo regional, they would consider that "fans resuming use"?

Wow, the NCAA played it even better than giving "No comment".  Basically said that UND is fine to do as they please but if the fans continue to use Sioux or Fighting Sioux in place of "no nickname" which the NCAA is fully aware happens already then all it would take is "other schools" to complain and sanctions are very likely.  Basically put it on UND to replace it without actually forcing them to because they know exactly what will happen if "no nickname" is chosen and they keep their hands clean because there is no one to blame but the fans themselves. Well played NCAA.

Also the NCAA believes UND has done its best to comply with the settlement agreement, which is what has been stated as the reason the NCAA has refrained from issuing sanctions, despite the dates on the original Settlement Agreement.

If this clarification is true, I can't see any possible way that "no nickname" remains as a viable option. Despite the "no nickname" crowd who state they aren't in the Fighting Sioux Forever crowd, there are many who are and will ensure that this becomes an issue.

• Upvote 2

Spectacularly played by the NCAA.

They hold to their "you're free to choose any nickname you want" stance; yet, they also hold their "if people complain we'll hit you with sanctions" position. 

That statement really puts the "no nickname" folks in a position: Are you "no nickname" to be no nickname, or so you can keep saying the old nickname (and run the real risk of sanctions). 

Edited by The Sicatoka
  • Upvote 1

Wow, the NCAA played it even better than giving "No comment".  Basically said that UND is fine to do as they please but if the fans continue to use Sioux or Fighting Sioux in place of "no nickname" which the NCAA is fully aware happens already then all it would take is "other schools" to complain and sanctions are very likely.  Basically put it on UND to replace it without actually forcing them to because they know exactly what will happen if "no nickname" is chosen and they keep their hands clean because there is no one to blame but the fans themselves. Well played NCAA.

Also the NCAA believes UND has done its best to comply with the settlement agreement, which is what has been stated as the reason the NCAA has refrained from issuing sanctions, despite the dates on the original Settlement Agreement.

If this clarification is true, I can't see any possible way that "no nickname" remains as a viable option. Despite the "no nickname" crowd who state they aren't in the Fighting Sioux Forever crowd, there are many who are and will ensure that this becomes an issue.

So basically what I said in my last post a few pages back.  The NCAA won't do anything until they are forced to act.  Currently the stakeholders could vote for a different name than "no nickname."  If "no nickname" is selected, it's fine until the vocal minority starts it's complaining and getting the attention of Big Sky/NCHC Presidents, etc...which won't take long.  No need for the NCAA to do anything else at this point.

No consipiracy theories here, UND needs to pick a new name, otherwise it's a matter of time until someone starts complaining that "no nickname" is by default, keeping UND the Fighting Sioux.

• Upvote 3

For those who didn't follow Goon's link:

... The NCAA says there would not be a violation of the settlement agreement as far as they are concerned if UND didn't adopt a new nickname.

However, the NCAA did say that if fans resumed using Sioux or Fighting Sioux, the NCAA believes other schools will complain and that, in turn, would very likely result in sanctions.

The NCAA does seem to believe that UND has done its best to comply with the settlement agreement.

Peter Johnson
Executive Associate Vice President for University Relations

Spectacularly played by the NCAA.

They hold to their "you're free to choose any nickname you want" stance; yet, they also hold their "if people complain we'll hit you with sanctions" position. 

And the over-under on some "sensitive soul" complaining is about 3 seconds ...

• Upvote 1

So the University will be in compliance per the agreement but the fans will be in violation...in turn causing the University to potentially be put back on sanctions.  Nice moving target set up by the NCAA.

Edited by Blackheart

Let turn on the NCAA translator for a few of you:

When the NCAA says: " ... the NCAA believes other schools will complain ... "

The NCAA means: " ... we already have a few lackeys and minions lined up to complain ... "

So the University will be in compliance per the agreement but the fans will be in violation...in turn causing the University to potentially be put back on sanctions.  Nice moving target set up by the NCAA.

"It's good to be the king." -- The NCAA

Edited by The Sicatoka
  • Upvote 1

Now the follow up question. How long has the University KNOWN this information from the NCAA?

Probably not that long...it would have required someone from UND's administration to actually follow up with the NCAA. :)

Edited by Blackheart