SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA To Sanction UND if School Does Not Adopt New Nickname

Benny Baker

In order of preference:

1.  Roughriders-  ND is the Roughrider state, Highest award is the Roughrider award, it's unique to NCAA athletics, many marketing/logo opportunities (horse, Teddy,) etc.

2.  No name- (not realistic as I've described in my post that you quoted)

3.  Start the process over if Roughriders doesn't win because the rest stink.  This is why I selected No Nickname as #2 because it virtually guarantees we will be doing it all over again until a name is selected.

So Vote on RR and No Name and see what happens.  I too tend to think RR might not make the final vote, which would be unfortunate.

Welp. Can't be roughriders anymore. Teddy R killed over 500 animals on safari including 17 Lions, 11 elephants, and 20 rhinos for shits and giggles.

hmmm.  I do recall a process to transition away from "Fighting Sioux", but there was never any effort to transition to a new nickname until 2015.

http://nickname.und.edu/logo/

Cool. Thanks for the link, or should I say "discovery" of this from December 6, 2011 (broken out for ease of reading).

Has UND chosen a new nickname and logo?

No.

When the University begins the process of choosing a nickname and logo, there will be prominent public announcements about the process.

A new nickname and logo will be chosen only after a careful and deliberate process. 

The bill passed during the Special Session of the North Dakota Legislature and signed into law by Gov. Jack Dalrymple on Nov. 9 takes effect Dec. 1. 

With respect to a new nickname and logo, the law stipulates that neither UND nor the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education may adopt a new nickname or logo before January 2015. 

When the process for choosing a new nickname and logo is implemented, it will be announced to UND students, staff, faculty, alumni, and friends. 

Until then, he University’s athletic teams will be called UND or “North Dakota,” and will use the current interlocking ND logo.

What will be the University’s nickname and logo after the nickname is retired?

The University’s athletic teams will be called UND or “North Dakota,” and will use the current interlocking ND logo.

What did we learn? 

The plan all along is "A new nickname and logo will be chosen ... "

The process could not be implemented until January 2015. 

"UND" or "North Dakota" is the interim solution. How can I say that? See the words "Until then ... " above. 

Again, in my managing senior partner scenario, I'd cut UND a lot of slack until January 2015 because they have a publicly stated plan that was halted by forces beyond "junior associate" or "managing senior partner" control. After that January 2015 date UND would get the "stink eye": they'd better be moving on this process or it's the sanction hammer. But that's me. 

Oh, note: The nickname process was all cranked up ... according to plan ... in January 2015. Must be coincidence. 

• Upvote 3

Let me parse those words above one more time:

A new nickname and logo will be chosen ...

Until then, the University’s athletic teams will be called UND or “North Dakota,” and will use the current interlocking ND logo.

Pretty clear what the plan and the process has been since December 2011.

Allowing for the Legislature's mandated "cooling off" period that covered 2012, 2013, and 2014 (which I'd say has had no, to maybe an opposite, effect), the plan and process is running.

Announce plan in December 2011; blocked 2012, 2013, 2014; commence process January 2015.

What will be the University's nickname and logo after the nickname is retired?

The University’s athletic teams will be called UND or “North Dakota,” and will use the current interlocking ND logo.

A new nickname and logo ... until then ...

You can't use the chunk you did without the rest of the information.

Welp. Can't be roughriders anymore. Teddy R killed over 500 animals on safari including 17 Lions, 11 elephants, and 20 rhinos for shits and giggles.

Talk about a crazy world. Such a do about nothing. So someone killed a loved lion. Now everyone who's never heard of this lion are suddenly outraged. People who are giving death threats are worse for society than the hunter is.

• Upvote 3

No nickname vs. nickname.....NCAA: fair or bullies.....sanctions vs no sanctions.....violation of agreement or no violation.....

At the end of the day does any of this matter?  IMO it is all controlled by one person.....Kelley.  And if you are comfortable with that notion then I think you and anyone else who has any stake in the outcome of this nickname process should be very worried.

Talk about a crazy world. Such a do about nothing. So someone killed a loved lion. Now everyone who's never heard of this lion are suddenly outraged. People who are giving death threats are worse for society than the hunter is.

The sadder commentary with today's society and this whole "Cecil" issues is those that are so outraged that a lion is dead are the same ones have no problem with abortion and/or the blackmarket catastrophe that Planned Parenthood finds themselves involved in.

Nice try, Sitacoka.

They started the process and got halted by outside forces. I guess if I were the managing senior partner I'd cut some slack. 

And then you eagerly cite an article that begins with: "When the University begins the process of choosing a nickname and logo"

Haha, you're too funny.

The sadder commentary with today's society and this whole "Cecil" issues is those that are so outraged that a lion is dead are the same ones have no problem with abortion and/or the blackmarket catastrophe that Planned Parenthood finds themselves involved in.

I agree.  I can't figure this one out either.

Nice try, Sitacoka.

And then you eagerly cite an article that begins with: "When the University begins the process of choosing a nickname and logo"

Haha, you're too funny.

You missed it. Lay out the timeline. 

The press release was December 6, 2011. It said:

When the University begins the process of choosing a nickname and logo, there will be prominent public announcements about the process.

A new nickname and logo will be chosen only after a careful and deliberate process. 

The bill passed during the Special Session of the North Dakota Legislature and signed into law by Gov. Jack Dalrymple on Nov. 9 takes effect Dec. 1. 

So UND had a plan and a process in mind. The announced it officially on at least December 6, 2011. 

However, the law was enacted (by governor's signature) on November 9, 2011. 

Of course UND had not started the process: it was illegal to do so as of November 9, 2011.

But, they had an announced plan and process. And they acted on it as soon as they were legal to. 

There has been a plan and a process since at latest December 6, 2011.

Micromanage my statements if you will, but the statements from UND on December 6, 2011, are clear. 

A new nickname and logo will be chosen ... Until then, ... 

It's going to happen. I dare say that because the plan and process was cranked back up the minute the law allowed it. 

No. That is just you regurgitating a talking point you read or heard on talk radio. But if you find comfort in simplification and over-generalizing I am happy for you. However you may be disappointed to learn that I am against both abortion (most of them anyway) and trophy hunting.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

No. That is just you regurgitating a talking point you read or heard on talk radio. But if you find comfort in simplification and over-generalizing I am happy for you. However you may be disappointed to learn that I am against both abortion (most of them anyway) and trophy hunting.

Simplification and over-generalization?  Explain how "Cecil" is getting more headlines than the Planned Parenthood's mess?  Nevermind we both know the answer to that.

And to your last statement........good for you and the 4 out of 5 dentists that agree with you but somehow I see you tearing up with Jimmy Kimmel.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Explain how "Cecil" is getting more headlines than the Planned Parenthood's mess?

Cecil is getting more press than a lot of issues. This simple fact does not mean that any two of these issues are related. This isn't rocket science.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1