SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

Fighting Hawks.

Cause it has the word Fighting.

Cause its better than Sundogs.

Cause it has safety in numbers (8th most popular nickname among NCAA).

Cause its unique to North Dakota.

Cause it'll make us have a sense of pride.

Cause it'll instill fear in the opposition.

Cause it can peck a Bison to death.

Cause Eagles are overrated.

Hear me roar.

220px-Accipiter_striatusDO1908P02CA.JPG

• Upvote 1

UND was forced to give up the Fighting Sioux nickname because Standing Rock would not allow the tribe to vote on the issue. Most intelligent people believed that a vote by the tribal members would have been in favor of keeping the name. In today's society the majority no longer matter. What do they know ? The fact that a small minority can dictate what happens just rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

A similar thing is now happening in deciding what to do about a new nickname. Arguably a majority of UND fans would like to continue without a nickname but a small group thinks it knows what is best for all and will not allow that option to be put to a vote. What are they afraid of ? The same thing that Standing Rock was afraid would happen, that the vote would not go the way they wanted.

• Upvote 4

IMO, the decision as to what the new name will be has already been decided by the committee majority and Kelley.  Asking the public to vote on a name is a smoke screen invented to appease students, alumni, and fans.  I hope I'm wrong.

UND was forced to give up the Fighting Sioux nickname because Standing Rock would not allow the tribe to vote on the issue. Most intelligent people believed that a vote by the tribal members would have been in favor of keeping the name. In today's society the majority no longer matter. What do they know ? The fact that a small minority can dictate what happens just rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

A similar thing is now happening in deciding what to do about a new nickname. Arguably a majority of UND fans would like to continue without a nickname but a small group thinks it knows what is best for all and will not allow that option to be put to a vote. What are they afraid of ? The same thing that Standing Rock was afraid would happen, that the vote would not go the way they wanted.

You hit the nail on the head...  another case of a very small minority making decisions for the majority.  I lost a lot of respect for UND today.

• Upvote 1

Passion for a logo, not for UND.

What ever buddy.. We all get it. Just a logo... And a name you forgot to mention that. Ooops!!! Inadvertent oversight I'm sure..

And if you want to be honest it's an identity too right?

But who in the 'move on' group has really ever been honest about anything...

Bingo!!

Maybe the missed opportunity for courage was circa de here... But who is asking irrational logo loving ex athletes. Well except Phil Jackson or any other 'move on' former athlete. Then it's all about how they get it why don't you?

Just laughable. All of this... Laughable!!

IMO, the decision as to what the new name will be has already been decided by the committee majority and Kelley. Asking the public to vote on a name is a smoke screen invented to appease students, alumni, and fans. I hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately I completely agree with you. After last night I am going to guess that it will be fighting hawks.

You hit the nail on the head... another case of a very small minority making decisions for the majority. I lost a lot of respect for UND today.

Could have said it any better. I'm disgusted by the process...disgusted by the Kelley driven PC chest thumping...disgusted by the gutless majority of committee members. Another meeting and just North Dakota is eliminated?

I'm scheduled to meet at 715 am with a UND Foundation member again informing me I'm always welcome to give (more) financially..... conversation might not be about what this person thinks it's going to be about!

• Upvote 2

IMO, the decision as to what the new name will be has already been decided by the committee majority and Kelley. Asking the public to vote on a name is a smoke screen invented to appease students, alumni, and fans. I hope I'm wrong.

What nickname do you think is the final choice?

Unfortunately I completely agree with you. After last night I am going to guess that it will be fighting hawks.

Now we agree........a sad, sad day for my alma mater is forthcoming. Fighting Hawks is exactly what the consulting firm was brought into do........under the direction and guidance of our pathetic outgoing President.

Sundogs would be worse......but happiness and gayness would abound on campus for years to come!

Well it probably isn't anymore or less scientific than any polls by the papers or this site but judging by around 4or 5 hundred responses to 7 different news stories on the issue on facebook, it seems that remaining North Dakota was favored by about 95%.

yeah, it would be interesting to see the results of the final vote if they allowed a Write-In option.

From the GF Herald article.

UND Professor John Bridewell, on the other hand, was one of seven committee members who ranked it as their least favorite option and said faculty didn't want to move forward with that.

"President Kelley, if we send him North Dakota, no nickname, I think he could just disband the committee or just say we could start over or he could just veto it," Bridewell said.

This would be the best option right now.

We are left with

Roughriders....borderline top 100 from original list

Nodaks....seriously?

Sundogs....should have been one of first casualties, not in top 1000

Fighting Hawks.....safe generic choice, doesn't meet ANY of the supposed criteria. Nice logo opportunities though.

North Stars.....great name, cool logo opportunities which is probably why our neighbors use it for their state motto.

So..................after a conversation with someone kind if in the know this morning the betting line on "Fighting Hawks" just went to even money.  Maybe the consultants did earn their keep. 

It still baffles me how Roughriders can easily be the favorite among people on this site, at the Herald, and the people of Grand Forks, but ranks below Sundogs with this committee...

Yes - it should have given pause to those that were quick to laud these very same people that eliminated the no nickname option.

From the GF Herald article.

UND Professor John Bridewell, on the other hand, was one of seven committee members who ranked it as their least favorite option and said faculty didn't want to move forward with that.

"President Kelley, if we send him North Dakota, no nickname, I think he could just disband the committee or just say we could start over or he could just veto it," Bridewell said.

This would be the best option right now.

We are left with

Roughriders....borderline top 100 from original list

Nodaks....seriously?

Sundogs....should have been one of first casualties, not in top 1000

Fighting Hawks.....safe generic choice, doesn't meet ANY of the supposed criteria. Nice logo opportunities though.

North Stars.....great name, cool logo opportunities which is probably why our neighbors use it for their state motto.

"Real artists don't copy, they steal" - Bill Gates

However, NS isn't getting chosen.  It will be Fight'n Hawks.

Couple reactions I've seen on Twitter not happy about no nickname being eliminated

Mike Commodore @commie22 36m36 minutes ago

@SchlossmanGF if it can't be Fighting Sioux I don't see what's wrong with keeping University of North Dakota. I liked that.

Mike Commodore @commie22 34m34 minutes ago

@SchlossmanGF and who is this guy talking about "its time to show courage"? Is he serious? That time passed awhile ago.

Sad day, looks like a lot of current and former players are noting their displeasure with this decision. Dillon Simpson's tweets are pretty intense and caggulias seemed pretty intense too.

I believe the backlash is warranted. It's all over twitter right now.

The fact that there are people, including former and current student athletes, calling out the comment about "courage" and making a mockery of it tells you everything you need to know about their complete lack of knowledge of the whole situation. Lowell Schweigert bleeds a deeper green and has done more for UND than any of them will ever even dream of doing.

I guess they were right. Most just "North Dakota" fans did indeed want that so they could be the de facto Sioux Forever.

Now they're struggling to grasp reality.

Ding ding ding.  Might be the least shocking revelation of the whole thing outside of the consultants pushing for <insert adjective> Hawks. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So..................after a conversation with someone kind if in the know this morning the betting line on "Fighting Hawks" just went to even money.  Maybe the consultants did earn their keep. 

Huh? Please clarify, I don't care about sources I'm simply trying to understand what you mean.