SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

2 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

The more you try to denigrate what NDSU has accomplished in the last 10 years the more foolish it makes you.  NDSU can't help it your FB program is so bad.  

UND is not a bad program, they are average and some years above. There are many programs that would love to be where UND is at. Congrats to NDSU and all they have accomplished. Please remember it is a short walk from the castle to the crapper. NDSU could fall from grace just as fast as they rose to power. If that happens, let's see how packed the Dome is.........

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

UND is not a bad program, they are average and some years above. There are many programs that would love to be where UND is at. Congrats to NDSU and all they have accomplished. Please remember it is a short walk from the castle to the crapper. NDSU could fall from grace just as fast as they rose to power. If that happens, let's see how packed the Dome is.........

FWIW, during our 3-8 2009 season, we didn't have below a 14,000 attendance. We got 1k+ teammakers on a wait list for season tickets. Fan base and attendance aren't going anywhere.

Also, 6-5 season in 2008, no less than 16k/game

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

NDSU fans, actually all non-FBS college fans, need to realize there's this thing call "Mount Union" in DIII that matters as much to the FBS schools (and national media for that matter) as FCS does. 

Mentioning Mount Union,
they've gone 15-0 in 2017, 2015, 2012, 2008, 2006, and 
they've gone 14-0 in 2002, 2001, 2000, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1993*.

*Note that little run in there from 1996 to 2002 -- six of seven titles and just one combined loss (in 1999, 12-1). 

I think their student body is like 2000 or 3000.... small college... big football dynasty BIG.... give them credit!

15 minutes ago, Bubbasburner said:

FWIW, during our 3-8 2009 season, we didn't have below a 14,000 attendance. We got 1k+ teammakers on a wait list for season tickets. Fan base and attendance aren't going anywhere.

Cool story bro. So, since you are FBS level and can beat Washington who played OHIO STATE to a one score game, when are you guys getting the balls to move up so UND can schedule that FBS game every year?

33 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Could NDSU beat some FBS teams? Yes.

But, again, at the end of the day, NDSU and UND and the rest of the teams in the FCS are playing for 131st place.

This debate seems to come up every year, where do the top teams in FCS rank in comparison to the FBS. My take isn’t based only on NDSU. Any given year, the FCS final four, in my mind, are similarly competitive to any team ranked outside of the top 25 in FBS, some years maybe slightly higher for the best FCS teams. There is evidence to back this up if you look back at the teams top FCS squads beat the years they win the FCS championship. There are exceptions of course, but that’s about where they would end up most years I believe.

I understand your point, but it’s much more complicated than the top FCS being, by definition, only the 132nd best football team in the country. Brand matters in college athletics, and there is far more overlap between all levels of football in both quality of play and brand equity than you are willing to concede it seems.

Using a non-NDSU team to illustrate my point: Who is more well known to the average football fan? Mount Union(division III) or Charlotte University(FBS). Outside of die-hard fans, you’d hear a lot of “didn’t realize Charlotte has a team”

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

YOU wouldn't have done jack sh*t.  There is only proof out there that NDSU purposely scheduled winnable FBS games, not that they have tried to schedule really good FBS teams.  Even their next games FBS games are meh.  Oregon and Arizona.  Oregon is a shell of what it was.  Arizona sucks really, really bad.

Oregon had a very young team this year. Yes, the last few years they have been a shell of themselves but they are rapidly improving and NDSU is in for a tough test.

23 minutes ago, Bubbasburner said:

14,000 tickets sold, not attendance. My cousin is a big booster and he couldn’t pay his friends to go to games with him back then.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Bubbasburner said:

1k ?

Posters on Bozoville posted last year that there are about 15,000 that would buy season tickets, some even posted there are up to 25,000. Need FBS.

Yet, the UND game in 2015 was the only game with an attendance of 19,000 in last 4 years.

11 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Cool story bro. So, since you are FBS level and can beat Washington who played OHIO STATE to a one score game, when are you guys getting the balls to move up so UND can schedule that FBS game every year?

Gonna be great to get a 500K check for playing a game an hour away!! :D

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

But, again, at the end of the day, NDSU and UND and the rest of the teams in the FCS are playing for 131st place.

38 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I understand your point, but it’s much more complicated than the top FCS being, by definition, only the 132nd best football team in the country.

I think the first point is valid as both of you seem to be saying to very similar, but slightly different things. In any given year, the FCS champion and many other FCS schools are better than quite a few FBS schools (and sometimes more than quite a few). But to the general public, that is what playing for the FCS Championship represents, not how good the teams are but what "place" they are playing for. There is absolutely no argument that FCS is a second tier, it just is. I'm not saying that in a denigrating way, its just reality. Doesn't mean there isn't some very good football played, a lot of it at an equal or higher level than the lower half of the first tier, but it is still a second tier overall. 

20 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I think the first point is valid as both of you seem to be saying to very similar, but slightly different things. In any given year, the FCS champion and many other FCS schools are better than quite a few FBS schools (and sometimes more than quite a few). But to the general public, that is what playing for the FCS Championship represents, not how good the teams are but what "place" they are playing for. There is absolutely no argument that FCS is a second tier, it just is. I'm not saying that in a denigrating way, its just reality. Doesn't mean there isn't some very good football played, a lot of it at an equal or higher level than the lower half of the first tier, but it is still a second tier overall. 

You’re not wrong on any of that, technically. It is a fact that FCS football is a true second tier, but in my mind this is only the case due to the unique nature of NCAA Football and it’s “official” tier system. Every other sport has a heirarchy just the same as NCAA football, but it’s “unofficial”.

Technically, Rice has an equal chance to win the College Football Playoff as Clemson, but do they really? There is an unofficial split between P5 and G5, but since they technically play for the same championship they “play the same level of football”

Those of us who follow FCS football are simply arguing that in terms of quality of play and brand recognition, FCS teams at the top and the G5 are the same.

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Get real. They’ll always be obsessed with us. They can try and deny it for now but the first questionable play that doesn’t go their way against us will make it obvious that there is just a different level of disdain towards us.

And youre not with us??? LOL Seriously look at the amount of posts dedicated to you guys trying to bolster the "UND is your rival" narrative.  :lol: That door swings both ways on this subject.

There is just more disdain towards you because of your past actions to the point some dont want anything to do with you.  Which  transends the parameters of a rivalry to just plain hate and that serves no one well.

3 minutes ago, bison73 said:

You have a link to public information. Nicely done.:D

You were the one bitching about a link to prove what I said is right. I know that Robbins and others were using banned substances. I also know for a fact that Coach Roehl knew they were taking it and apologized to those players that he was unaware the substance was added to the list. I also know NDSU plans to appeal appeal appeal and fight it until the end so Robbins can have his senior year. You were the one skeptical on what I know. I have sources you will never have and I don't even cheer for the bison.

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Your athletic director stated without confusion that he purposely only scheduled games they though they could win, that "fit" the mold.  Why do you guys keep ignoring that statement?

He did not say that. He said we schedule ""FBS teams that we have a CHANCE of winning""

16 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

You were the one bitching about a link to prove what I said is right. I know that Robbins and others were using banned substances. I also know for a fact that Coach Roehl knew they were taking it and apologized to those players that he was unaware the substance was added to the list. I also know NDSU plans to appeal appeal appeal and fight it until the end so Robbins can have his senior year. You were the one skeptical on what I know. I have sources you will never have and I don't even cheer for the bison.

:whistling: