SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

The writer for the Jamestown Sun is pretty transparent. In his mind nothing can replace the old name so that's what it has to be in his mind: nothing. That will allow for the overtly tacit continued usage of the old name.

And to say he's a bit hockey-centric may be an understatement.

I'm going to commit blasphemy here in the eyes of some. That's fine. This needs to be said:

Some of you want no nickname because the best, most befitting North Dakota, name remaining on the list, Roughriders, ... just might be one that could be grown into and just maybe, maybe turn out to be just as solid as what we had.

• Upvote 2

I'm going to commit blasphemy here in the eyes of some. That's fine. This needs to be said:

Some of you want no nickname because the best, most befitting North Dakota, name remaining on the list, Roughriders, ... just might be one that could be grown into and just maybe, maybe turn out to be just as solid as what we had.

I agree. It's also time to get on board with the Roughrider name. Remember what bizarre name was ranked in a tie for #2?

Sundogs.

If consensus doesn't start forming around one name, I fear we could be stuck with the Sundog name.

Think about that "no namers".

• Upvote 3

Not sure I will go as far as matching Fighting Sioux, but I do agree with right up there with it, or one of the few nickname options that has a chance to approach it. From the get go I've felt Roughriders has a chance to, over time, develop the evocative images that so drew us to the nickname we have so loved for so long. I am all for it.

I agree. It's also time to get on board with the Roughrider name. Remember what bizarre name was ranked in a tie for #2?

Sundogs.

If consensus doesn't start forming around one name, I fear we could be stuck with the Sundog name.

Think about that "no namers".

Lol....so no name people have to join the Roughrider people or we will all lose?

Right out of the scare tactic manual...

Remember, I have been warming up to the Roughrider name, so don't go all ballistic on me! But I love how people try to sell what they want...

• Upvote 1

Just as solid as what we had......no but it won't be real far behind years from now if Ridas is the choice.

By citing JAX and their color mess disaster of a logo you have formally DQ'd yourself from ever mentioning logos or colors again. :D

Hmmm, I have heard of no disaster or a color mess with them.  Truth be told I have not followed them much except lately when they captured Blake Bortles  on 1st pick.  BTW, I am not a North Dakotan but hail from Michigan and Minnesota hence my poor understanding of your  ND map and or local UMD jargon.  I am 100% behind UMD and I am glad that there is such fierce pride in the school and its teams. There is nothing like being proud of your heritage and roots that go deep.  I still like Fighting Hawks, sorry.

Hmmm, I have heard of no disaster or a color mess with them. Truth be told I have not followed them much except lately when they captured Blake Bortles on 1st pick. BTW, I am not a North Dakotan but hail from Michigan and Minnesota hence my poor understanding of your ND map and or local UMD jargon. I am 100% behind UMD and I am glad that there is such fierce pride in the school and its teams. There is nothing like being proud of your heritage and roots that go deep. I still like Fighting Hawks, sorry.

UMD aready has a great nickname, the Bulldogs.

Ha....I hope you didn't think that there was any measure of seriousness in that post. But judging by the response, you've been hacked by darell1976. :)

None in mine either.

I think we all need to remember that no matter what happens, we're all UND fans and that FU and the gophers suck.

Think out of the box artistically for the Logo

At first I liked Rough Riders. Now I hate it. How would the Logo look? Maybe a Teddy Bear or Green and Black with a green shirted cowboy on a black horse? Or a cavalry officer in those colors. No no no. Been thinking of Fighting Hawks more and more. A black hawk's head with green eyes beautifully captured by a good artist. Maybe even a green beak. A thatch of white feathers? I dunno but the design is endless. Look at the Jacksonville Jags, colors gold and teal with the jaguars head gold and the tongue and eyes teal. Very sharp!

Even he hockey team would love hearing "Go Hawks, go hawks."

Nice post.

When there are people thinking the Great Seal of the United States of America on a flag is somehow uniquely Roughriders and uniquely North Dakota and makes a nice logo, God help us.

Roughriders is the best, most befitting North Dakota, name left on the list.

we all had our pet/favortie nickname...mine was the fighting norse....sics was the reapers and so forth but like sica says here the roughriders is the best, most befitting nickname left and by far is the most marketable which means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for UND!

we all had our pet/favortie nickname...mine was the fighting norse....sics was the reapers and so forth but like sica says here the roughriders is the best, most befitting nickname left and by far is the most marketable which means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for UND!

It leads by far in our poll. More importantly, it was #1 up to this point with the committee.

Followed closely by Sundogs.

North Dakota is the Roughrider State.

The state flag IS (and has been proven here) to be a copy of the regimental Roughrider flag.

The Roughrider Award is the highest honor given by the state of North Dakota.

Theodore Roosevelt National Park is in North Dakota. I could go on and on. But, it's true that Roughriders is an undeniable part of North Dakota.

Despite the smokescreen being made by a scattering of a few to discredit this choice, it is in UND's best self interest to choose Roughriders as the nickname.

Or..we could face the option of Sundogs.

Rally around the state flag and roll Ridas!

After all, Teddy Roosevelt loved to shoot Bison, Grizzlies, Bobcats...

• Upvote 2

The state flag of North Dakota was chosen to honor the 1st North Dakota Infantry. They were a regiment of volunteers from and organized in North Dakota, so it made sense to honor them.

The Roughriders and many other cavalry units in the country carried the same flag; it was quite popular as it is an important symbol of the U.S.A.

There are enough misconceptions out there about the Roughriders and their mythic link to North Dakota; let's not insult the memory of the 1st North Dakota Infantry by claiming the state flag was chosen to honor the Roughriders.

The state flag of North Dakota was chosen to honor the 1st North Dakota Infantry. They were a regiment of volunteers from and organized in North Dakota, so it made sense to honor them.

The Roughriders and many other cavalry units in the country carried the same flag; it was quite popular as it is an important symbol of the U.S.A.

There are enough misconceptions out there about the Roughriders and their mythic link to North Dakota; let's not insult the memory of the 1st North Dakota Infantry by claiming the state flag was chosen to honor the Roughriders.

Their flag had the same insignia as the Roughrider regiment. That's a fact, even if there were others with the same insignia.  It surely didn't differentiate them from the Roughriders. Even with that, you go on to insult North Dakotans like myself by ignoring the historical references to Theodore Roosevelt and his ties to the state.

Myself and many North Dakotans are extremely proud of the legacy of these ties and the fact that Roosevelt himself said he never would have become president without the time he spent in North Dakota.

To say anything otherwise is an insult to the great state of North Dakota.