SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

Their flag had the same insignia as the Roughrider regiment. That's a fact, even if there were others with the same insignia. It surely didn't differentiate them from the Roughriders. Even with that, you go on to insult North Dakotans like myself by ignoring the historical references to Theodore Roosevelt and his ties to the state.

Myself and many North Dakotans are extremely proud of the legacy of these ties and the fact that Roosevelt himself said he never would have become president without the time he spent in North Dakota.

To say anything otherwise is an insult to the great state of North Dakota.

Sorry if the facts I stated about the origin of the state flag conflict with what you claimed, and your agenda. I will try to be more sensitive to your needs in the future.

Sorry if the facts I stated about the origin of the state flag conflict with what you claimed, and your agenda. I will try to be more sensitive to your needs in the future.

And I am sorry that your agenda includes insulting North Dakotans and their history, which includes ties to Theodore Roosevelt and the Roughriders.

Maybe you should go join the criminal felons in the land of LAKES. Non-North Dakotans need not be involved in the choosing of their school's nickname.

And I am sorry that your agenda includes insulting North Dakotans and their history, which includes ties to Theodore Roosevelt and the Roughriders.

Maybe you should go join the criminal felons in the land of LAKES. Non-North Dakotans needs not be involved in the choosing of their school's nickname.

There are other options besides sundogs. You seem to think that if roughriders loses that sundogs is the only other option.

Maybe you should go join the criminal felons in the land of LAKES. Non-North Dakotans needs not be involved in the choosing of their school's nickname.

Annnnnd here you go again...you should tell everyone who is allowed to have an opinion and who can actually decide on a new name. You and....3 others seem to know what's best for everyone!

By the way, nothing Siouxphan said insulted me, born and raised ND, no UND education though, so I got that going against me????

By the way, nothing Siouxphan said insulted me, born and raised ND, no UND education though, so I got that going against me????

I see.

A self loathing North Dakotan that didn't have the common sense to go to the flagship school, but likes to troll UND websites.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Btw, as of today, 108 members of this site, the vast majority of them having real ties to the University of North Dakota, favor the Roughrider name.

At UND, we're taught that 108 > 4. Too bad you missed out on that education.

I see.

A self loathing North Dakotan that didn't have the common sense to go to the flagship school, but likes to troll UND websites.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Btw, as of today, 108 members of this site, the vast majority of them having real ties to the University of North Dakota, favor the Roughrider name.

At UND, we're taught that 108 > 4. Too bad you missed out on that education.

You're funny, I'm on here because I am a fighting Sioux fan, never once read I had to be an alumni to be on here! If that's trolling, whatever...

Keep hiding behind that keyboard and bashing people for not agreeing with you big shooter!

You're funny, I'm on here because I am a fighting Sioux fan, never once read I had to be an alumni to be on here! If that's trolling, whatever...

Keep hiding behind that keyboard and bashing people for not agreeing with you big shooter!

Maybe you are a casual fan.

That's nice.

I'm a graduate and a true stakeholder. Along with most of the 108 that want Roughriders for a nickname. Because it's the best choice for the university where we earned our diplomas. Because it has ties to the state we are from.

If there is a vote, I will probably have one.

You probably won't.

Maybe you are a casual fan.

That's nice.

I'm a graduate and a true stakeholder. Along with most of the 108 that want Roughriders for a nickname. Because it's the best choice for the university where we earned our diplomas. Because it has ties to the state we are from.

If there is a vote, I will probably have one.

You probably won't.

Now I'm not a true stakeholder? Be careful your inner child is starting to show! You have no idea what I donate to the UND, the season tickets I buy, or the college my children are or will be going to!

You stay classy!

By the way, I still agree with Siouxphan and not you...I'm done.

You actually were done a long time ago when you admitted that you failed to attend the flagship school of the state.

You will probably have no say.

Roll Ridas!

I dislike those that think they are more important than others especially for attending UND

I'm a long time Fan

I think season ticket holders should have a say

I think more season ticket holders are not UND alumni

Get off ur high horse

Now I'm not a true stakeholder? Be careful your inner child is starting to show! You have no idea what I donate to the UND, the season tickets I buy, or the college my children are or will be going to!

You stay classy!

I'm with you.  You don't have to be an alum to be a stakeholder.  I doubt anybody would claim that most of the current football coaches aren't stakeholders.  Bubba is a Jamestown grad.

I'm with you. You don't have to be an alum to be a stakeholder. I doubt anybody would claim that most of the current football coaches aren't stakeholders. Bubba is a Jamestown grad.

Bubba works there. I agree. He's not a casual fan. He has the best interests of the entire university to consider.

I dislike those that think they are more important than others especially for attending UND

I'm a long time Fan

I think season ticket holders should have a say

I think more season ticket holders are not UND alumni

Get off ur high horse

I will probably get more of a say if there is a vote than a casual fan, season ticket holder or not. Because I am a graduate and think well beyond the implications of this nickname outside of the playing field, rink, court, etc.

That's the way it will probably work.

And like a good Roughrider, I'll stay on my high horse. Unless I go up San Juan Hill...

I will probably get more of a say if there is a vote than a casual fan, season ticket holder or not. Because I am a graduate and think well beyond the implications of this nickname outside of the playing field, rink, court, etc.

That's the way it will probably work.

And like a good Roughrider, I'll stay on my high horse. Unless I go up San Juan Hill...

Well being a Bully is about the least popular phrase there is with young people today

Well being a Bully is about the least popular phrase there is with young people today

When Teddy Roosevelt liked something, he said, "Bully!"

The university exists as a learning institution. It is there to produce graduates, not sports teams. Sports is a marketing device. In the last number of years, the Fighting Sioux nickname, as much we love it, has been a marketing disaster.

They, the university, that is run by an administrative body well above the athletic department, has decided to change the name.

It's not by accident that no nickname barely made the final seven. It is not under serious consideration.

It's not by accident that Roughriders finished first. Followed closely by Sundogs.

What are we, the alumni who are the product of the university and major stakeholders going to do?

Most of us won't support no nickname. We know that hurts marketing in many ways. (Unique? No. Weird and vindictive? Yes.)

We will support the most marketable name.

Roughriders.

Because it is in the best interest of the university.

Bully!

I haven't seen anything official yet, but following the pattern they have set a meeting this week wouldn't shock me. Even as soon as tomorrow

My guess at a timeline would be a final 3 list by end of the month, then official vote early August, then new nickname and logo installed before UND takes the field against Wyoming.

I have not talked to anyone who really likes Roughriders

I'd bet just ND wins

108 votes on this board for Roughriders.

By far the most gathered by any of the seven choices.

Its the leading choice of the committee.

My guess is that you haven't really talked to anybody.

My guess at a timeline would be a final 3 list by end of the month, then official vote early August, then new nickname and logo installed before UND takes the field against Wyoming.

You are being too optimistic on that one, my bet it drags til homecoming when the name is announced