SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

Ok, this is going too far! How about we just get the best nickname in history back and deal with PC problems from that only, instead of the PC shyt storm getting a new name is making!

Check out @gfherald's Tweet: https://twitter.com/gfherald/status/621039000283840512?s=09

Check out @gfherald's Tweet: https://twitter.com/gfherald/status/621054107143385088?s=09

Enough already...we are not fixing anything!

You and I agree on something. It's out of control.

I also could get on board with Roughriders as long as it never is shortened formally or informally to "ridas". Sounds to much like urban backstreet slang.

Formally? I'd never expect it. 

Informally? Amongst the "kinda hip, kinda now, kinda cool, kinda wow" cool kids group, it'll happen in speech and "txt". 

Ok, this is going too far! How about we just get the best nickname in history back and deal with PC problems from that only, instead of the PC shyt storm getting a new name is making!

Check out @gfherald's Tweet: https://twitter.com/gfherald/status/621039000283840512?s=09

Check out @gfherald's Tweet: https://twitter.com/gfherald/status/621054107143385088?s=09

Enough already...we are not fixing anything!

With reference to one of those articles and the TR quotes in it, TR also said, 

“This country will not be a good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a good place for all of us to live in.”

Could TR have wanted unification, not separation? 

• Upvote 1

Umm. Yes. And out of 2 would be even better yet.

That would be the dream, I hope they really go that direction vs 3.... or worse yet 4.

Sooo how much longer are they going to drag this out? Are there any more meetings scheduled? Really getting tired of this process.

No meeting schedule yet as far I as know from UND's website and I haven't seen anything from GF herald about a potential meeting.  My hope is that they take care of the final 2-4 names (preferably 2)  and figure out all the nuances of the final vote (keeping out the riff raff from voting) at that meeting, not stretch it into 2. 

• Upvote 1

Umm. Yes. And out of 2 would be even better yet.

Agreed.  I mentioned Louisiana's jungle primary once before in this forum, which is what you would have with multiple options.  Using last year's election as an example, Landrieu got the most votes on election day of the eight candidates, but didn't get a majority of the votes (she got 42%), which required a run-off election between the two candidate with the most votes.  When it was just an election between the two top vote getters, she got beat 56-44.

A final vote between two would be best.

With reference to one of those articles and the TR quotes in it, TR also said, 

“This country will not be a good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a good place for all of us to live in.”

Could TR have wanted unification, not separation? 

Hey, isn't the bolded statement above an example of "class warfare"? :silly::p;)

Hey, isn't the bolded statement above an example of "class warfare"? :silly::p;)

The wealthy TR worrying about "all of us". What a nutbag. ;) 

And TR was pretty "out there", in 1913 terms, on another subject: 

"Much can be done by law towards putting women on a footing of complete and entire equal rights with man - including the right to vote, the right to hold and use property, and the right to enter any profession she desires on the same terms as the man."

So that would be both "class warfare" and "war on women", right? ;)

• Upvote 1

I think that the results of a final vote weigh very heavily on whether on the number of names being voted on.  If it is North Dakota or Roughriders, I think Roughriders wins because it would basically be a vote between selecting a new nickname or not having a nickname.  I beleieve those results would lean towards people wanting to move on and selecting a new nickname.  However, if 3  names are on the final vote, the 3rd name like North Stars would split the  "We want a new nickname" vote and the "we don't want a new nickname" vote would win and just "North Dakota" would come out on top.  A comparison would be what Ross Perot did to the presidential election in 1992.

That being said, I am hoping that "North Dakota" will not be an option for the final vote and the vote can actually be a vote for a new nickname as opposed to a vote where no nickname is an option.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I think that the results of a final vote weigh very heavily on whether on the number of names being voted on.  If it is North Dakota or Roughriders, I think Roughriders wins because it would basically be a vote between selecting a new nickname or not having a nickname.  I beleieve those results would lean towards people wanting to move on and selecting a new nickname.  However, if 3  names are on the final vote, the 3rd name like North Stars would split the  "We want a new nickname" vote and the "we don't want a new nickname" vote would win and just "North Dakota" would come out on top.  A comparison would be what Ross Perot did to the presidential election in 1992.

That being said, I am hoping that "North Dakota" will not be an option for the final vote and the vote can actually be a vote for a new nickname as opposed to a vote where no nickname is an option.

Yes, because if it were between only "no nickname" and "Roughriders", and "no nickname" was to win, it would be a shame if the majority actually had a say - for the very first and only time throughout this whole sorry exercise.

Yes, because if it were between only "no nickname" and "Roughriders", and "no nickname" was to win, it would be a shame if the majority actually had a say - for the very first and only time throughout this whole sorry exercise.

"Now I think is the time for some courage and the popular choice based on what was submitted during April, obviously to all of us, if you look at numbers, is 'North Dakota,' but popular isn't always the right choice" - Lowell Schweigert

Unfortunately there are many people that have not moved on and can't get over the Fighting Sioux name being retired.  I understand the pride that it brought for this community and its fans.  But people need to realize that the name is gone.  It is never coming back.  Supporting the idea of not choosing a nickname is a feeble attempt to hold on to the Fighting Sioux nickname.  People that say no name is good enough to replace it are hanging on to the old name and are unwilling to move forward.  Everyone has their own way of dealing with change.  But it's been 3 years since the name has officially been retired.  It is time to accept change and support a new name.  It is what is best for the University, it's athletic teams and atheletes, and more importantly a fanbase so they can finally move on.

"Now I think is the time for some courage and the popular choice based on what was submitted during April, obviously to all of us, if you look at numbers, is 'North Dakota,' but popular isn't always the right choice," - Lowell Schweigert

"Now is the time to stop whining, and being scared of whet ifs! Since we can't have the greatest nickname ever let's honor it by using North Dakota only! Using scare tactics to fulfill some people's choice is not only a crock but seems to be the norm these days!" -Bigskyvikes.

Neither one of those quotes should change the mind of anyone...just sayin.

Unfortunately there are many people that have not moved on and can't get over the Fighting Sioux name being retired. I understand the pride that it brought for this community and its fans. But people need to realize that the name is gone. It is never coming back. Supporting the idea of not choosing a nickname is a feeble attempt to hold on to the Fighting Sioux nickname. People that say no name is good enough to replace it are hanging on to the old name and are unwilling to move forward. Everyone has their own way of dealing with change. But it's been 3 years since the name has officially been retired. It is time to accept change and support a new name. It is what is best for the University, it's athletic teams and atheletes, and more importantly a fanbase so they can finally move on.

Cut....copy....paste! Blah blah blah!

"Now is the time to stop whining, and being scared of whet ifs! Since we can't have the greatest nickname ever let's honor it by using North Dakota only! Using scare tactics to fulfill some people's choice is not only a crock but seems to be the norm these days!" -Bigskyvikes.

Neither one of those quotes should change the mind of anyone...just sayin.

One of the two quotes is from someone who was selected to represent a group of stakeholders.  My guess is that person's quote (and thought process) carries some weight in the decision making process....just saying.