SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

Some on here say no way to just North Dakota. I'm ok with that view. Although it is my third choice. Some of those same people think Nodaks would be a great nickname. North Dakota doesn't work.....but abbreviate it (Nodaks) and suddenly it's really something. North Dakota Nodaks.....doesn't even make sense. What's the logo going to be for Nodaks? Whatever it is could be used with just North Dakota. No nickname just a logo.

Like I said North Dakota is my third choice.....hopefully it doesn't come to that. Nodaks, however, just doesn't work for me.

Wouldn't be surprised if that ends up that is what eventually is unofficially is used if "no nickname" is chosen.  People will get tired of hearing/reading Green and White, North Dakota, etc.  I do agree on your sentiments of it not making much sense or working in terms of logo or being something tangible.

Some on here say no way to just North Dakota. I'm ok with that view. Although it is my third choice. Some of those same people think Nodaks would be a great nickname. North Dakota doesn't work.....but abbreviate it (Nodaks) and suddenly it's really something. North Dakota Nodaks.....doesn't even make sense. What's the logo going to be for Nodaks? Whatever it is could be used with just North Dakota. No nickname just a logo.

Like I said North Dakota is my third choice.....hopefully it doesn't come to that. Nodaks, however, just doesn't work for me.

When I see Nodaks I think of a horse as a logo...

I'm get the impression Roughriders is also the current leader at the Herald.

What gave it away, Tom's full-throated defense of the name against any negative connotation concerns, or the motherhood and apple pie tribute to the majesty of all things Roughrider?  The Herald rarely holds it close to the vest.  Opinions start on page 1, above the fold, and don't stop until you get to the DNR zebra mussel report.

On second thought, I may be thinking of the S'trib.

taz

Wouldn't be surprised if that ends up that is what eventually is unofficially is used if "no nickname" is chosen.  People will get tired of hearing/reading Green and White, North Dakota, etc.  I do agree on your sentiments of it not making much sense or working in terms of logo or being something tangible.

Yet another reason that "North Dakota" must not be chosen.  For you no nicknamers, A vote for "North Dakota" is essentially a vote for Nodaks!!

bemidji state has thrown the idea of rebranding in the past...if they were ever to switch their name to northern minnesota university wonder if they would drop the beavers for the north stars....

University of Northern Minnesota North Stars??  unless we get it first?

bemidji state has thrown the idea of rebranding in the past...if they were ever to switch their name to northern minnesota university wonder if they would drop the beavers for the north stars....

It's all good. They can have it... 

• Upvote 1

It, a reference to Minnesota's state motto, would fit them (a Minnesota school) far better. 

That was awesome and so true. Everything is going to offend someone cuz most everyone has gotten so sensitive and cant take the pain of reading something. I hope this offened everyone because i really dont care and neither does the real world!!!

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

Geez if they talked to our crack "Consultant" they would be starting the rebranding tomorrow. If our consultant thinks Roughrider has a double meaning that is a deal breaker what would they think of beaver....that makes me wonder how the Beavers have been able to survive all the name-calling and things being thrown at them (sarcasm).   

• Upvote 2

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/our-opinion/3800581-our-opinion-roosevelts-flaws-dont-disqualify-roughriders-und-nickname

"Teddy Roosevelt was steeped in the biases of his age, and he failed to transcend some of those beliefs. But he did transcend a great many other deep-rooted prejudices — and helped America do so as well, as his presidency led to profound changes in our approach to poverty, public health, industrial cartels and especially the natural world.  That’s not perfection. But it’s a whole lot more than the rest of us mortals can hope to achieve. That’s about as close to greatness as human beings can get. And where figures from American history are concerned, it’s enough."

• Upvote 1

“I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races,” said Abe Lincoln in 1858. 

The man who freed slaves said that. No equity for black and white. Tear down the Lincoln Memorial, I guess, while you're knocking down the Jefferson Memorial. 

Here's a more recent claim from Sammy Davis Jr's daughter:

Sammy Davis Jr. was at the height of his stardom in 1961 when he and close friend Frank Sinatra campaigned to elect President John F. Kennedy, but after Davis married Swedish actress May Britt, Kennedy refused to let him perform at his inauguration, Davis’ daughter claims in a new book.

So even the much beloved John F. Kennedy can't pass today's muster. Kennedy didn't approve of interracial marriages (Ms. Britt was white; Mr Davis was black.) 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/our-opinion/3800581-our-opinion-roosevelts-flaws-dont-disqualify-roughriders-und-nickname

"Teddy Roosevelt was steeped in the biases of his age, and he failed to transcend some of those beliefs. But he did transcend a great many other deep-rooted prejudices — and helped America do so as well, as his presidency led to profound changes in our approach to poverty, public health, industrial cartels and especially the natural world.  That’s not perfection. But it’s a whole lot more than the rest of us mortals can hope to achieve. That’s about as close to greatness as human beings can get. And where figures from American history are concerned, it’s enough."

The Herald writes an editorial that makes sense. I'm stunned.