SiouxSports.com Forum

"New Americans" what do they bring to the table in the region

Redneksioux

Not true.  While number in EGF has grown it is no where near what GF gets.  There isn't enough apartment housing in EGF.

One thing to also remember is that some of these families are very large.  Think 6-8 kids and then add in other relatives.  I've heard of some living on both sides of the river until enough apartments open.  Also some are waiting for other family members to arrive.

There is a lot of culture issues and assimilation that needs to happen, but hasn't that been the case for most groups that have been the new Americans?

I agree assimilation has to happen, but is it?  Look at Europe - you have little cities within cities and there is little to no assimilation.  Minneapolis is a good one to look at.  Ever drive by what they call little Somali - looks like a third world country.

Let's be clear on this.  Mpls has hardly been an "excellent" source for Al-Shabaab.  That makes it sound like hundreds of boys and men have left to join these organizations and that's just not the case.  Exaggerating the facts does nothing to advance the discussion.

There have been some, yes (but we're probably talking in the neighborhood of a dozen or so), and I join with you in expressing concern regarding anyone who benefits from living here and who decides to go fight for one of those groups.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/immigration/item/20209-thousands-of-somalis-in-minn-spark-fears-of-al-shabaab-terrorists

You've got a few dozen men out of a community of a few tens of thousands who are wack-jobs and go fight for these terrorist groups.  But that should tarnish a whole community who really do love being here.

People who love being here will assimilate, which doesn't seem to happen with a lot of the "new immigrants".

• Upvote 1

I agree assimilation has to happen, but is it?  Look at Europe - you have little cities within cities and there is little to no assimilation.  Minneapolis is a good one to look at.  Ever drive by what they call little Somali - looks like a third world country.

I can only speak for what I have seen around GF, but I think the youngest ones are assimilating fairly well (early teenagers and younger).  But I think that is pretty much human nature...change is typically easier for youth.

Depending on where they have come from, it is important to remember that many have experienced a very, very difficult life before arriving in the United States.  The amount of adjustment is beyond what at least I had generally imagined.  I know of families who slept on the floor for many weeks after first getting to GF because they were used to sleeping tents at a refugee camp.  Beds were too soft for them!  There are also people who have never seen a kitchen stove before.  It is my understanding that one of the first things given to families is a TV, so they can become familiar with American life.  Because that is an accurate portrayal...  :silly:  

I live near some apartment buildings that house quite a few resettled individuals.  It isn't the threat of crime that scares me...it's seeing them learning how to drive!

I can only speak for what I have seen around GF, but I think the youngest ones are assimilating fairly well (early teenagers and younger).  But I think that is pretty much human nature...change is typically easier for youth.

Depending on where they have come from, it is important to remember that many have experienced a very, very difficult life before arriving in the United States.  The amount of adjustment is beyond what at least I had generally imagined.  I know of families who slept on the floor for many weeks after first getting to GF because they were used to sleeping tents at a refugee camp.  Beds were too soft for them!  There are also people who have never seen a kitchen stove before.  It is my understanding that one of the first things given to families is a TV, so they can become familiar with American life.  Because that is an accurate portrayal...  :silly:  

I live near some apartment buildings that house quite a few resettled individuals.  It isn't the threat of crime that scares me...it's seeing them learning how to drive!

What you said about their experiences before they arrived is 100% accurate and needs to be factored in.  The people that came from Liberia, Eritrea, Ethopia, and Sudan all saw some bad stuff during the constant wars that were going on.  I can say for fact that the ELL kids in local elementary schools are some of the nicest kids you will ever meet and most* have good parents that care.  

• Upvote 1

Assimilation, whatever that means, takes generations. 

I tend to agree.  "Assimilation", whatever that means, may take years, if not generations.  Our European ancestors most likely did their own thing for years before moving into the larger society. For years Irish gangs ruled New York and Chicago since they were excluded from the "establishment", before moving into the police and local and business political structures.  Later arrivals from Italy and Jewish immigrants filled that "void".  Later on other racial and ethnic groups largely took over street crime as these arrivals moved into larger society.

Some cultures more readily assimilate around Central Iowa/Des Moines.  We have recent Russian, Bosnian, Ukrainian, Sudanese, Ethiopian, Burmese, Thai and Hispanic groups, and they generally keep their own traditions, while often working and engaging in the local community.  Remember, the US is still a "melting pot", and we reflect a variety of cultures, experiences and values that has changed over time. 

• Upvote 2

I agree assimilation has to happen, but is it? Look at Europe - you have little cities within cities and there is little to no assimilation. Minneapolis is a good one to look at. Ever drive by what they call little Somalia - looks like a third world country.

It's called Little Mogadishu, but I concur 100% with your assessment.

• Upvote 2

I tend to agree.  "Assimilation", whatever that means, may take years, if not generations. 

This ^^^.  Working in manufacturing environments in Fargo, I've been through the Bosnian influx in the early 2000's and now we're seeing a lot of applicants from several of the African countries.  The older people hold onto their customs much more tightly.  Seeing people enter the workforce now, who came to the US as children, they stand in stark contrast to their elders.

As for what they bring to the table; for me it's been a workforce.  There simply are not enough employable* people in this area, and to find an honest, drug-free, hard working person, I don't care if they came from Mars!

*By employable, I mean someone who can show up on time, work an entire shift, and pass a drug screen.  It is utterly amazing how many people in their 20's, 30's and 40's can't accomplish these simple requirements.  These are adults who are old enough to know better and were raised by people who worked hard their entire lives.  SMH.

*By employable, I mean someone who can show up on time, work an entire shift, and pass a drug screen.  It is utterly amazing how many people in their 20's, 30's and 40's can't accomplish these simple requirements.  These are adults who are old enough to know better and were raised by people who worked hard their entire lives.  SMH.

... cough ... TrailKing ... cough ... 

I know the manager of a local car dealership that sells high-end European cars.  They often can't find part-time "porters", basically people to take the cars around the lot or into the shop or car wash, because they fail routine drug and/or background checks.  And they're only looking for high school or college age kids for these jobs.  Unreal.

I know the manager of a local car dealership that sells high-end European cars.  They often can't find part-time "porters", basically people to take the cars around the lot or into the shop or car wash, because they fail routine drug and/or background checks.  And they're only looking for high school or college age kids for these jobs.  Unreal.

Because the concept of personal accountability/responsibility has beed eroded over the past decade plus and replaced with the concept of "who is going to take care of me".  To think this has not been further fostered since a certain someone took over the White House is ignorant.

This ^^^.  Working in manufacturing environments in Fargo, I've been through the Bosnian influx in the early 2000's and now we're seeing a lot of applicants from several of the African countries.  The older people hold onto their customs much more tightly.  Seeing people enter the workforce now, who came to the US as children, they stand in stark contrast to their elders.

As for what they bring to the table; for me it's been a workforce.  There simply are not enough employable* people in this area, and to find an honest, drug-free, hard working person, I don't care if they came from Mars!

I just want to be sure I'm understanding what you meant. Did you mean the elders were hardworking and the kids are not? Or are you saying the elders didn't want to work but the kids do much better? (I know those are generalities, but still...) I'm not accusing or anything, I'd just like to know your experiences.

Because the concept of personal accountability/responsibility has beed eroded over the past decade plus and replaced with the concept of "who is going to take care of me".  To think this has not been further fostered since a certain someone took over the White House is ignorant.

I blame the parenting, or lack thereof, rather than anyone in the White House or any of the other dullards in politics. 

We've routinely had parents accompany their progeny to my employer and try to get security access, and occasionally had them call in to complain when their "snowflake" gets a bad performance review or terminated.  I'd rather hire some poor, smart kid with an assload of student debt and the desire to succeed than someone who's been "protected" their entire life.

I blame the parenting, or lack thereof, rather than anyone in the White House or any of the other dullards in politics.

We've routinely had parents accompany their progeny to my employer and try to get security access, and occasionally had them call in to complain when their "snowflake" gets a bad performance review or terminated. I'd rather hire some poor, smart kid with an assload of student debt and the desire to succeed than someone who's been "protected" their entire life.

Not disagreeing on the parenting side of the equation but there are other factors...two namely being "socio-economic equality" and "wealth redistribution"....and this feeds into less than stellar parenting.

Just had a "new American" mother and daughter into my place of employment yesterday. Demanding of services and product.......and thought it ALL should be free. This happens more than most care to imagine.

• Upvote 1

Not disagreeing on the parenting side of the equation but there are other factors...two namely being "socio-ecomoninic equaility" and "economic redistubution"....and this feeds into less than stellar parenting.

Just had a "new American" mother and daughter into my place of employment yesterday. Demanding of services and product.......and thought it ALL should be free. This happens more than most care to imagine.

Funny, when I was growing up in western North Dakota in the 1970s/80s, we would have born and raised red, white and blue Americans walk into our business right off the ranch -- grease-stained caps, scoria-scuffed boots and all -- demand the exact same kind of service. I guess because they were white American good ol' boys, it never struck me as a stereotypical thing when I was a kid. I just thought they were a-holes. Things never change, it would seem, no matter who you are, when you were born or where you are from.  Everyone's got an anecdote.

• Upvote 2

Funny, when I was growing up in western North Dakota in the 1970s/80s, we would have born and raised red, white and blue Americans walk into our business right off the ranch -- grease-stained caps, scoria-scuffed boots and all -- demand the exact same kind of service. I guess because they were white American good ol' boys, it never struck me as a stereotypical thing when I was a kid. I just thought they were a-holes. Things never change, it would seem, no matter who you are, when you were born or where you are from. Everyone's got an anecdote.

Funny, I grew up in Central ND same time frame.....never expected or demanded any of what we are discussing and neither did the guys I grew up with. We were afar from.perfect but were not raised with that mentality.

Funny, when I was growing up in western North Dakota in the 1970s/80s, we would have born and raised red, white and blue Americans walk into our business right off the ranch -- grease-stained caps, scoria-scuffed boots and all -- demand the exact same kind of service. I guess because they were white American good ol' boys, it never struck me as a stereotypical thing when I was a kid. I just thought they were a-holes. Things never change, it would seem, no matter who you are, when you were born or where you are from.  Everyone's got an anecdote.

Similarly, I have wealthy, white American clients who demand services that they have no intention of ever paying for all the time and yet I don't stereotype all of my other clients who fit that description because of it. Also, shouldn't we all just pause for reflection on whether it's prudent or ethical to whip up animus against ethnic and racial minorities a day after we had a white supremacist terrorist in South Carolina murder 9 people in cold blood.

Umm......are you aware that its red states and conservatives who benefit the most from government assistance?  Or do you just take everything Fox News says as gospel?  But you might be right it must be all those democrats elected in the south who vote for these programs.   :silly:

http://aattp.org/ts-official-white-folks-in-red-states-are-the-biggest-food-stamp-moochers-in-the-country/

http://equality.typepad.com/blog/2012/05/who-gets-the-most-government-benefits-urban-democrats-or-rural-republicans.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_reckoning/2012/10/25/blue_state_red_face_guess_who_benefits_more_from_your_taxes.html

Now consider the bottom 10, i.e., the ones that give more to the federal government in taxes than they get in return. From 1 to 10, they are:

New Jersey, Nevada, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Minnesota, Illinois, Delaware, California, New York, Colorado.

Anything strange about that list? Yes, they are all blue states (or the deepest of purple).

Adding to this fallacy are the assumptions surrounding Mitt Romney’s now infamous comments about the indolent “47 percent” of Americans who regard themselves as victims and therefore pay no taxes. As the American Conservativemagazine (no less) pointed out recently, nine of those 10 states are in the red-as-ruby Old Confederacy.*

non-payers-by-state.jpg.CROP.original-or

Put another way, again by the American Conservative, “On the other hand, eight of the ten states with the highest non-payment rates are solidly Republican. The exceptions are New Mexico and Florida.”

Umm......are you aware that its red states and conservatives who benefit the most from government assistance?  Or do you just take everything Fox News says as gospel?  But you might be right it must be all those democrats elected in the south who vote for these programs.   :silly:

http://aattp.org/ts-official-white-folks-in-red-states-are-the-biggest-food-stamp-moochers-in-the-country/

http://equality.typepad.com/blog/2012/05/who-gets-the-most-government-benefits-urban-democrats-or-rural-republicans.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_reckoning/2012/10/25/blue_state_red_face_guess_who_benefits_more_from_your_taxes.html

Now consider the bottom 10, i.e., the ones that give more to the federal government in taxes than they get in return. From 1 to 10, they are:

New Jersey, Nevada, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Minnesota, Illinois, Delaware, California, New York, Colorado.

Anything strange about that list? Yes, they are all blue states (or the deepest of purple).

Adding to this fallacy are the assumptions surrounding Mitt Romney’s now infamous comments about the indolent “47 percent” of Americans who regard themselves as victims and therefore pay no taxes. As the American Conservativemagazine (no less) pointed out recently, nine of those 10 states are in the red-as-ruby Old Confederacy.*

non-payers-by-state.jpg.CROP.original-or

Put another way, again by the American Conservative, “On the other hand, eight of the ten states with the highest non-payment rates are solidly Republican. The exceptions are New Mexico and Florida.”

This is the kind of entitlement that is wrong no matter who gets it.  People who truly need assistance is fine, but those that choose not to work so they can surf all the time, both on the web and in the ocean, that is where the government needs to take notice. 

I believe in media-speak that makes you a "hero" and a "survivor". 

I think it makes me a bad metro driver. It also means I missed a left turn and ended up in the wrong place. I also knocked the front end of our car out of alignment hitting a pot hole.

I have a crazy idea. How bout we follow the existing rules and regulations. If you are unable to then you go back.

Path to U.S. Citizenship

This page describes the most common path to U.S. citizenship, which allows a green card holder (permanent resident) of at least 5 years to apply for naturalization. Other paths include:
•Green card holders married to U.S. citizens
•Green card holders in the military and their family
•Citizenship through parents

Eligibility Requirements

If you are a green card holder of at least 5 years, you must meet the following requirements in order to apply for naturalization:
•Be 18 or older at the time of filing
•Be a green card holder for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
•Have lived within the state, or USCIS district with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence, for at least 3 months prior to the date of filing the application
•Have continuous residence in the United States as a green card holder for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application
•Be physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application
•Reside continuously within the United States from the date of application for naturalization up to the time of naturalization
•Be able to read, write, and speak English and have knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government (civics).********************************
•Be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States during all relevant periods under the law********************

Hell, just enforce the last 2.

Whatever Agency brought you over here will be forced to reimburse any and all government funds they may have received and also pay for returning the criminal back to his/her homeland. They will than hopefully do a better job of vetting any future potential US Citizens since it hits them in the pocketbook. They should also be monitored on their "success" rate and if it is below a certain standard they get unfunded entirely.

• Upvote 1

I have a crazy idea. How bout we follow the existing rules and regulations. If you are unable to then you go back.

Path to U.S. Citizenship

This page describes the most common path to U.S. citizenship, which allows a green card holder (permanent resident) of at least 5 years to apply for naturalization. Other paths include:

•Green card holders married to U.S. citizens

•Green card holders in the military and their family

•Citizenship through parents

Eligibility Requirements

If you are a green card holder of at least 5 years, you must meet the following requirements in order to apply for naturalization:

•Be 18 or older at the time of filing

•Be a green card holder for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the Form N-400, Application for Naturalization

•Have lived within the state, or USCIS district with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence, for at least 3 months prior to the date of filing the application

•Have continuous residence in the United States as a green card holder for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application

•Be physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application

•Reside continuously within the United States from the date of application for naturalization up to the time of naturalization

•Be able to read, write, and speak English and have knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government (civics).********************************

•Be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States during all relevant periods under the law********************

Hell, just enforce the last 2.

Whatever Agency brought you over here will be forced to reimburse any and all government funds they may have received and also pay for returning the criminal back to his/her homeland. They will than hopefully do a better job of vetting any future potential US Citizens since it hits them in the pocketbook. They should also be monitored on their "success" rate and if it is below a certain standard they get unfunded entirely.

The US government does the vetting now and decides who gets into the country. LSS and other organizations around the country try to help them make the transition. LSS doesn't decide who comes in.