SiouxSports.com Forum

You're up Brad Berry. Step up.

gfhockey

personally I thought they had a consistent push all year long.  That is what garnered them the 2 seed, instead of chasing it like years past.

Well I agree with that, I was referring more to a strong second half than I was to a weak first half. Agreed this year was extrenely consistent, which I think everyone prefers ... but I do like that they always seemed to enter the playoffs playing their best hockey of the season, as opposed to what we saw from many Gopher teams that seem to completely fall apart right before the tourney.

Per Dan Hammer:

Berry's contract is 4 years with a base of $280,000 also incentives that cap annually at 45% of base

For comparison, this was from an article about Hakstol's extension he signed in 2012:

Hakstol's contract calls for a base salary of $300,000 with possible bonuses for the team's performance on the ice and in the classroom. The bonuses, capped at 45 percent or $135,000, and deferred income could potentially bump his annual compensation over $400,000.

Caught a little bit of Brad Berry interview with Mike McFeely on 790 just now not exact but most of the gist of what was discussed:

-Said Hak had flat turned down the Flyers the first couple times but got lots of backing/support from Hextall and he made his decision in about the last 48 hours. Said Hextall kept telling Hakstol that Philly needed him and they needed the kind of culture in Philly that is at UND.

-McFeely asked about changes Berry said not a whole lot of them. Realized when he came back from NHL they had to get offense from defensemen and switched the style then. Will be focused on being solid defensively in own zone first but want to get the puck and go.

-McFeely asked Berry if the end it is kind of a no brainer for Hak being the NHL and everything. Berry said No talked about how he has been on the AHL/NHL side of things and how special of place UND is.

-Berry said he officially got the offer at about 8:15 this morning from Faison.

-Berry said knowing the move was coming for the last 48 hours or so the staff had a plan set up to contact incoming class/future recruits/players about the move this morning when it became official and everybody was still on board 100%.

-McFeely asked about Hakstol not winning a championship how agonizing it is and what they can change. Berry said Hak really wanted won and if he would have continued at UND would have got one but it he knew he did the best job he could and it wasn't gonna keep him up every night. Berry also said they have been watching video of the BU game looking for little things they could have tweaked and stuff like that and they will continue to look at videos of Frozen 4 losses to see what they could have done different.

-McFeely asked about Berry's staff, Berry said they will have the 1 open spot to fill and will open that job up. Said he and Jackson talked today about some possible candidates and said the biggest thing is they may have to put egos aside and it is all about what they can bring to the table. 

Hakstol asked Berry to join him in Philadelphia, but he respecfully declined because he wants to be at UND

Berry interview with Hennessy

http://www.undsports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=4072291&db_oem_id=13500

I tell ya, I was nervous about all of this maybe as little as 2 hours ago, but reading something's and seeing this video, I can't wait for this to start! Really like TH's comment at the end! Go get that main goal coach Berry!

I tell ya, I was nervous about all of this maybe as little as 2 hours ago, but reading something's and seeing this video, I can't wait for this to start! Really like TH's comment at the end! Go get that main goal coach Berry!

Ha...that's funny. I heard TH's comment at the end and thought "You ass kisser!"

As was discussed on NHL Network today. I have said this before and I'll say it again: I'd be happier watching guys who don't get a sniff of the NHL (Matt Henderson, the Hoogsteens, Jeff Panzer) win NCAA titles at UND as opposed to seeing 2 or 3 year players (without an NCAA title) winning Stanley Cups and thanking UND for being a stepping stone along the way.

I agree with all of this.

As was discussed on NHL Network today. I have said this before and I'll say it again: I'd be happier watching guys who don't get a sniff of the NHL (Matt Henderson, the Hoogsteens, Jeff Panzer) win NCAA titles at UND as opposed to seeing 2 or 3 year players (without an NCAA title) winning Stanley Cups and thanking UND for being a stepping stone along the way.

im happy for certain 2-3 year players that win the Stanley cup. Toews has won the cup twice and has yet to make a pit stop on his way home to Winnipeg, let alone go back to grand forks. Matt Greene on the other hand has a deep affection for grand forks and UND and goes back even without the cup....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

im happy for certain 2-3 year players that win the Stanley cup. Toews has won the cup twice and has yet to make a pit stop on his way home to Winnipeg, let alone go back to grand forks. Matt Greene on the other hand has a deep affection for grand forks and UND and goes back even without the cup....

Toews brought it Winnipeg once the second time he brought it to a children's hospital in Chicago. Some people on here feel like their entitled that every time a former player wins the Stanly Cup they have to bring it back to Grand Forks.

• Upvote 1

Toews brought it Winnipeg once the second time he brought it to a children's hospital in Chicago. Some people on here feel like their entitled that every time a former player wins the Stanly Cup they have to bring it back to Grand Forks.

I agree, these players are in no way expected to bring it back to GF. Every time has been a generous gift.

However Toews will be stopping in GF with it here in a few weeks ;)

I agree, these players are in no way expected to bring it back to GF. Every time has been a generous gift.

However Toews will be stopping in GF with it here in a few weeks ;)

Is he going to borrow it from Steven Stamkos for a day?

You can't knock Toews for first bringing the cup to his hometown (especially after they name a lake after him and award him the greatest honor in Manitoba) then to take it to a Children's hospital in the city in which he is the backbone of a revitalized program and captain.  

I agree that he'll bring it to GF if he wins it again, but you can't knock him for his choices.

• Upvote 1

no i am just pointing out the difference between the two players. Greene comes back to grand forks without the stanley cup just to be around the program and the city. Toews on the other hand hasn't been back in grand forks since he dropped the puck the following year he left.

edit: he brought it to Winnipeg both times but since he is a Captain he gets two days with it

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

no i am just pointing out the difference between the two players. Greene comes back to grand forks without the stanley cup just to be around the program and the city. Toews on the other hand hasn't been back in grand forks since he dropped the puck the following year he left.

edit: he brought it to Winnipeg both times but since he is a Captain he gets two days with it

I think Toews does enough for this program even without setting foot in Grand Forks.  There was just a big article on ESPN in March about the impact he still has on the university and the team. 

I don't know about you but I think a Children's Hospital is a pretty good place to bring the cup.  Like Yzerman said, you can't really knock the guy for that.

I think Toews does enough for this program even without setting foot in Grand Forks.  There was just a big article on ESPN in March about the impact he still has on the university and the team. 

I don't know about you but I think a Children's Hospital is a pretty good place to bring the cup.  Like Yzerman said, you can't really knock the guy for that.

I'm not knocking toews for not bringing the cup to GF (he doesn't owe that to anyone). I am just merely pointing out the difference between players and their affection to UND and the community. Greene has a scholarship set up at UND, he comes back every year to play in Frank Whites golf tournament, he came back to GF during the lockout and went to Houghton, MI to watch the "boys" play.

Mafiaman said he would be happy for the players that stick around for all four years and win an NCAA title, rather than cheer on a 2-3 year player that won a Stanley cup. I was just pointing out the differences in the last 2-3 players that won the Stanley cup and where there affection lies with the community and UND.