SiouxSports.com Forum

You're up Brad Berry. Step up.

gfhockey

im happy for certain 2-3 year players that win the Stanley cup. Toews has won the cup twice and has yet to make a pit stop on his way home to Winnipeg, let alone go back to grand forks. Matt Greene on the other hand has a deep affection for grand forks and UND and goes back even without the cup....

Jonathan Toews does a lot for the UND hockey program that is behind the scenes. He put up millions for some of the renovations at the Ralph. He just doesn't want the attention.

skateshattrick, on 19 May 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:skateshattrick, on 19 May 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

Jonathan Toews does a lot for the UND hockey program that is behind the scenes. He put up millions for some of the renovations at the Ralph. He just doesn't want the attention.

I am a fan of Toews but I don't believe the bolded to be accurate.  If you're referring to the new renovations, it was paid for by the Engelstad Foundation.

Toews does alot for the program simply by having attended school here. Having your school associated with a name like that is impressive.

It is too bad that basketball can't utilize the Phil Jackson connection better. Granted there is a huge status gap between Toews and Jackson, but still. If having the Zen Master as alumni of your program is pretty impressive if you work it the right way and got Phil to buy in. That being said, I don't know much about whether or not Phil is ever involved with UND, but aside from him accepting an honorary doctorate a few years ago, I really havn't seen much association between him and the school.

Berry, who was heavily involved in recruiting under Hakstol, said that he plans to continue recruiting a mix of highly skilled players and under-the-radar, heart-and-soul players.

“We’re allowed to get a lot of high, high-end players here,” Berry said. “You’ll see that over the next year or two with some of the guys coming in. But we don’t want to forget the Connor Gaarders or Steph Pattyns. When the rubber meets the road, those are the players you need to immerse in your culture. You need a little bit of everything. We want to make sure we recruit that, too.”

Berry, who was heavily involved in recruiting under Hakstol, said that he plans to continue recruiting a mix of highly skilled players and under-the-radar, heart-and-soul players.

“We’re allowed to get a lot of high, high-end players here,” Berry said. “You’ll see that over the next year or two with some of the guys coming in. But we don’t want to forget the Connor Gaarders or Steph Pattyns. When the rubber meets the road, those are the players you need to immerse in your culture. You need a little bit of everything. We want to make sure we recruit that, too.”

Great quote!
  • Upvote 1

Toews does alot for the program simply by having attended school here. Having your school associated with a name like that is impressive.

It is too bad that basketball can't utilize the Phil Jackson connection better. Granted there is a huge status gap between Toews and Jackson, but still. If having the Zen Master as alumni of your program is pretty impressive if you work it the right way and got Phil to buy in. That being said, I don't know much about whether or not Phil is ever involved with UND, but aside from him accepting an honorary doctorate a few years ago, I really havn't seen much association between him and the school.

Jackson has publicly stated more than once that he wouldn't donated to UND as long as the Sioux nickname was in place.  Whether or not that will change once the new name is in place......well, I am guessing only Phil knows the answer to that one.

I think this whole change actually might be a good thing now that i think about it more. I think guys are stoked now and ready to go. All the players are going to be starting from square one and have to prove themselves with the new staff and i think it is going to create a lot of excitement and cohesiveness in the locker room. I think after this coming year we will see #8 in the rafters. 

• 2 weeks later...

No word on a new assistant coach?

Is it posted at UND yet?

Same open record laws to see who has applied?

Hasn't been posted yet.  Same open record laws for any position that is open to outside candidates.  The main difference is that the period of time they have to keep the job open changes by the level of the position.  I don't know how long they have to hold the assistant hockey coach job open, my guess is 1-2 weeks from the time it is posted.

Question for people more in the know...Why Brad over Dane as head coach?

Is Dane like this is what I get for staying on the UND staff as an assistant while Brad just left and came back?

Is Brad that much of a better assistant coach or is it mainly because he has "NHL coaching experience"?

Is Dane like this is what I get for staying on the UND staff as an assistant while Brad just left and came back?

Is Brad that much of a better assistant coach or is it mainly because he has "NHL coaching experience"?

What do you mean by that?  Dane was brought in when Brad left in 2006.  2012 was the first year that they coached together at UND.

I would guess that it came down to NHL experience and more years as a coach.  15 years (Berry) vs 12 years (Jackson)

What do you mean by that?  Dane was brought in when Brad left in 2006.  2012 was the first year that they coached together at UND.

I would guess that it came down to NHL experience and more years as a coach.  15 years (Berry) vs 12 years (Jackson)

Yes, I'd guess the NHL experience played a big part of it:

Berry - 241 NHL games played, besides his UND coaching experience he also has 2 years as an assistant with the Manitoba Moose (AHL) and 2 years as an assistant with the Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL)

Jackson - 45 NHL games played, besides his UND coaching experience he has 2 years as an assistant with the Manchester Monarchs (AHL) and was a mid season replacement as a head coach for the Adirondack Frostbite (UHL)

Also, for what it's worth I spoke to a former player who played when Berry was an assistant.  I spoke to him about his thoughts on the Berry hiring and his quote about Berry was "Guys love to play for him. Great players coach...he was one of the best hockey technique/systems guys I ever played for."

Heard this weekend that Dane Jackson is still considering accepting an assistant position from Hakstol with the Flyers.

Nothing against Jackson, but I would think the Flyers would be nudging Hakstol toward assistant coaches with NHL experience.

• Upvote 3

Nothing against Jackson, but I would think the Flyers would be nudging Hakstol toward assistant coaches with NHL experience.

I would think you would be correct. Even for Haks sake it would behoove him to surround himself with some NHL experience on the bench.

Yes, I'd guess the NHL experience played a big part of it:

Berry - 241 NHL games played, besides his UND coaching experience he also has 2 years as an assistant with the Manitoba Moose (AHL) and 2 years as an assistant with the Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL)

Jackson - 45 NHL games played, besides his UND coaching experience he has 2 years as an assistant with the Manchester Monarchs (AHL) and was a mid season replacement as a head coach for the Adirondack Frostbite (UHL)

Also, for what it's worth I spoke to a former player who played when Berry was an assistant.  I spoke to him about his thoughts on the Berry hiring and his quote about Berry was "Guys love to play for him. Great players coach...he was one of the best hockey technique/systems guys I ever played for."

Great players dont necessarily make great coaches. from my experience, its the crappy players that end up being the best coach out there.  

• Upvote 1

Great players dont necessarily make great coaches. from my experience, its the crappy players that end up being the best coach out there.

Yes:

See Ted Williams; Wayne Gretsky.

sometimes the great ones just can't explain the magic they posses to others in a way that they can't comprehend.

Lot of times it's that backup utility player, or frequent healthy scratch that sits on the bench for years learning from others,

Yes:

See Ted Williams; Wayne Gretsky.

sometimes the great ones just can't explain the magic they posses to others in a way that they can't comprehend.

Lot of times it's that backup utility player, or frequent healthy scratch that sits on the bench for years learning from others,

Wow, putting Brad Berry with his 241 NHL games played in the same category as Ted Williams and Wayne Gretzky!!!

I'd say the term "great player" is a fairly relative term.  Both Berry and Jackson are both "great" players compared to many people.  If you're saying that Brad Berry is a "great" player compared to Dane Jackson because he has 196 more NHL games played...well, I don't know that you can say that.  If you're saying that Brad Berry is a "great" player in the context of the NHL...umm...no.

* Disclaimer - maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say here.  Actually, I hope that's the case.

• Upvote 1