SiouxSports.com Forum

REA Banners

MafiaMan

9 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Assuming the winking and smiley emoji would obviously mean I was being sarcastic.  My bad I guess!!  I figured the "Mafia's 2 emails a day for the past 4 years" part would pretty much end any confusion.  Apparently not!!  

Wait, I didn't think the MM emails bit was a joke, though haha.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Who's to say the athletic department didn't have some input?
It's not like The Ralph to remove Sioux Logos without a push?

It’s actually adding some logos that have been a part of the past.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Looking at the latest picture inside the Ralph, I noticed that the banners of the other NCHC schools that were previously hanging above the South bar were not put back up after the new video board was added.  I wonder if they are moving those to a different location.

REA.jpg

This was a missed opportunity to dig into a conference change conspiracy theory. "Did anyone else notice that the NCHC school banners are down?  This has to mean we're joining the B1G right???"

• Upvote 3

Just now, streetsahead said:

This was a missed opportunity to dig into a conference change conspiracy theory. "Did anyone else notice that the NCHC school banners are down?  This has to mean we're joining the B1G right???"

I heard the 8th member of the new WCHA, but must bring back women's hockey to join. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/12/2019 at 11:12 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Assuming the winking and smiley emoji would obviously mean I was being sarcastic.  My bad I guess!!  I figured the "Mafia's 2 emails a day for the past 4 years" part would pretty much end any confusion.  Apparently not!!  

oh please, he would have done 3 a day if it was via pony express.  Odds of a mail bot program fighting for room on his ipod?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

There should be no banner, except for the Penrose one. Don’t hang second place or what if’s. Recognize this team on the wall somewhere else in the arena, but not with a banner.

18 hours ago, petey23 said:

Bad idea..Cheapens the rest.

6 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Hang a small "banner" that is black with "2020" on it it in white letters.  Put it next to the retired numbers.  Would recognize the season that ended early. 

ralph.jpg

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

At the risk of being banned from this site, I have an issue with #23 being retired, but that’s just my opinion.  

I do get misty-eyed, however, at the new era-specific banners hanging in the rafters.  They’re gorgeous.

4 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

I like them too.  And hate to be a stickler, but really wish they had the actual logos UND was using.  Every time I see 1980, 1982, and 1987 now, I think modern day Chicago Blackhawks.  It might be a trivial distinction to most, but UND's never had that logo on their jersey.

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The  "blackhawk " logo UND used on the jerseys in the 70's/80's is the one on the banners of those years where UND won a Championship.  Not the current Chicago Blackhawks logo.

3 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

May not be the exact, current blackhawk logo, but those logos are absolutely 100% not the logos on UNDs jerseys in the 70's/80's.  The easiest way we know this is that the logos for the 80 and 82 seasons were different than in 87, but every blackhawk-style banner in Engelstad has the same logo.

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I get what you mean.  But having that era logo consistent on all the banners looks better than displaying multiple logos with only slight differences.  Heck, the Brien logo changed over the years.  The new banners look great.

3 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Frozen4sioux's moniker is a good example.  I think that is what the Sioux were using in 80, 82.

I like the Boston Bruins banners.  The logos/B's on those banners show slight variations over time and history, but those variations are consistent with the actual logo the Bruins were wearing.

2 hours ago, petey23 said:

no

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Wrong.  UND is pretty much using the 1996 Blackhawk logo on the 1980’s banners.  While it looks better, it was not the one that existed a decade earlier.  Further muddying things is that jersey “uniformity” then is not what it is now.  You often had Sioux players on the same team sporting different crests on their jersey fronts due to different vendors supplying the school with patches.  CRAZY!

2 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Right on.  I think 82-83 through 85-86 seasons were especially a hodge podge of uniforms.

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Agree on that point.  I’m not sure I’d like it as much seeing a half dozen different Blackhawk logos on the banners. This is a case of “close enough” for me to be happy.  I’m just glad the Brien logos are gone from all of the national championship banners.  Nice logo, but didn’t mean anything to someone on the 1959 team!

2 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

With the 2020 NCHC title, Engelstad will be hanging 27 championship banners next year.

Let's not start hanging participation banners now.

2 hours ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

Agreed.

I agree with the idea mentioned earlier that take a wall and honor the team that way.  I'd also be open to other/additional ways to honor the team as well, but banners at the Ralph are meant for very specific, and very special, accomplishments.  Not for what could have been.  

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Right!  This is UND we're talking about; not St Cloud State!!

Carried over from the other thread...carry on!