SiouxSports.com Forum

REA Banners

MafiaMan

1 hour ago, SJHovey said:

I know exactly what happened to them.

It was following the 1996-97 championship season, which was also the spring of the great flood in Grand Forks.  As I recall, the Sioux boosters lost a bunch of their stuff in the flood.  The University also needed to order a new banner for the most recent championship.

The five banners ('59, '63, '80, '82 and '87) that had been hanging in the arena were donated to the booster club for them to auction off and raise money. 

The 1980 banner was purchased by the owner of Tim Shea's nursery in Grand Forks, and I believe it used to hang in their facility, although I haven't been in there for years.

The 1963 and 1987 banners were purchased by an alumni who used to be a state district court judge in Minnesota.  He is a good friend of my father's.

My brother has the 1959 banner, and if you were at the CC game when the '59 team was honored, you may have seen the banner.  My brother couldn't be at the game, but he had a friend bring it, and a number of people took their pictures with it.

The 1982 banner hangs in my office.  :D

Were the old banners pre 1997 the smaller square ones?  I think I speak for most people here when I request a pic of that banner you have in your office!!  Would be cool to see it!!

5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Were the old banners pre 1997 the smaller square ones?  I think I speak for most people here when I request a pic of that banner you have in your office!!  Would be cool to see it!!

They are similar to the current banners in that they are rectangular, hanging the long way. I’d estimate 6 feet high by 4 feet wide.

I’m a technology idiot. If someone can explain (in very simple terms) how I can post a photo that I’ll take with my phone, I’ll do it.

13 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

They are similar to the current banners in that they are rectangular, hanging the long way. I’d estimate 6 feet high by 4 feet wide.

I’m a technology idiot. If someone can explain (in very simple terms) how I can post a photo that I’ll take with my phone, I’ll do it.

Take picture.

Post on the forum on your phone and

hit the "Click to choose files"

select files

recent pics should come up

on android at least

7 hours ago, SJHovey said:

I know exactly what happened to them.

It was following the 1996-97 championship season, which was also the spring of the great flood in Grand Forks.  As I recall, the Sioux boosters lost a bunch of their stuff in the flood.  The University also needed to order a new banner for the most recent championship.

The five banners ('59, '63, '80, '82 and '87) that had been hanging in the arena were donated to the booster club for them to auction off and raise money. 

The 1980 banner was purchased by the owner of Tim Shea's nursery in Grand Forks, and I believe it used to hang in their facility, although I haven't been in there for years.

The 1963 and 1987 banners were purchased by an alumni who used to be a state district court judge in Minnesota.  He is a good friend of my father's.

My brother has the 1959 banner, and if you were at the CC game when the '59 team was honored, you may have seen the banner.  My brother couldn't be at the game, but he had a friend bring it, and a number of people took their pictures with it.

The 1982 banner hangs in my office.  :D

Hmm, Mondray (sp?) perhaps?

• 3 weeks later...

I’m just glad we no longer hang participation banners anymore. CC has a whole slew of them hanging in World Arena and I think that when I go to the Robson Arena meeting tomorrow, I’m going to strongly suggest they not hang those in the new barn. We’re the butt of DU’s jokes for enough reasons, no reason to give them yet another reason to poke fun at our expense. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/11/2015 at 9:26 AM, MafiaMan said:

Lots of talk this weekend about banners hanging from the rafters so I'm creating a new thread for something that's bothered me ever since REA opened: The NCAA championship banners that all display the Ben Brien logo and NOT the era-specific logo for when the championship was won.

A new 2014-2015 NCHC Conference Champions banner will be raised to the rafters next fall. It will no doubt be the first without the Brien logo and instead display the interlocking ND logo. It's time to change these across the board, especially the NCAA championship banners. Sure, it looks nice and neat with all 7 banners displaying the same logo, but it's not historically accurate. And it's time to honor the past and change that, not slap the Brien logo (and it's a great one, don't get me wrong) on all 7 banners and call it a day.

Someday new and much younger fans will look back and wonder about the history of the program, the jerseys, the coaches, and, yes, the "old" nickname and the logos. I'm sure a quick phone call to Chicago would result in permission to use the Blackhawk logo for 1980, 1982, and 1987, not to mention a few MacNaughton Cup Champions banners, so the rest of them, from the 1950's thru this season, should be a piece of cake.

It's time, REA, and it's time, UND. Honor the history of all of the past logos and get them on brand-new banners.

IT’S REALLY HAPPENING!  :love:

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

IT’S REALLY HAPPENING!  :love:

Makes you wonder how much influence siouxsports.com has.  I mean sure other teams have historically accurate championship banners with multiple logos on them (Boston Bruins was mentioned here).  But, it does make you wonder if someone at the REA saw this thread and brough the idea up to the higher ups at the REA.  Who knows.  We may have had a part in making this happen!! ;)  Or maybe Mafia's 2 emails a day for the past 4 years finally broke Jody Hodgeson into ending the madness and shutting him up and making the change!! :D

Either way, I think it was an awesome move.  Finally a logo issue at the REA that the majority of us can agree on!!

5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Makes you wonder how much influence siouxsports.com has.  I mean sure other teams have historically accurate championship banners with multiple logos on them (Boston Bruins was mentioned here).  But, it does make you wonder if someone at the REA saw this thread and brough the idea up to the higher ups at the REA.  Who knows.  We may have had a part in making this happen!! ;)  Or maybe Mafia's 2 emails a day for the past 4 years finally broke Jody Hodgeson into ending the madness and shutting him up and making the change!! 

uuuuhhhmmmm...

No.

14 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Makes you wonder how much influence siouxsports.com has.  I mean sure other teams have historically accurate championship banners with multiple logos on them (Boston Bruins was mentioned here).  But, it does make you wonder if someone at the REA saw this thread and brough the idea up to the higher ups at the REA.  Who knows.  We may have had a part in making this happen!! ;)  Or maybe Mafia's 2 emails a day for the past 4 years finally broke Jody Hodgeson into ending the madness and shutting him up and making the change!! :D

Either way, I think it was an awesome move.  Finally a logo issue at the REA that the majority of us can agree on!!

Yeah, I don't know, man. My college buddies and I have been talking about the various logos being on the banners since we were all still in school. Not sure how important we are haha.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It's too hard to tell if this is serious or a joke.