SiouxSports.com Forum

REA Banners

MafiaMan

On April 11, 2015 at 9:26 AM, MafiaMan said:

Lots of talk this weekend about banners hanging from the rafters so I'm creating a new thread for something that's bothered me ever since REA opened: The NCAA championship banners that all display the Ben Brien logo and NOT the era-specific logo for when the championship was won.

A new 2014-2015 NCHC Conference Champions banner will be raised to the rafters next fall. It will no doubt be the first without the Brien logo and instead display the interlocking ND logo. It's time to change these across the board, especially the NCAA championship banners. Sure, it looks nice and neat with all 7 banners displaying the same logo, but it's not historically accurate. And it's time to honor the past and change that, not slap the Brien logo (and it's a great one, don't get me wrong) on all 7 banners and call it a day.

Someday new and much younger fans will look back and wonder about the history of the program, the jerseys, the coaches, and, yes, the "old" nickname and the logos. I'm sure a quick phone call to Chicago would result in permission to use the Blackhawk logo for 1980, 1982, and 1987, not to mention a few MacNaughton Cup Champions banners, so the rest of them, from the 1950's thru this season, should be a piece of cake.

It's time, REA, and it's time, UND. Honor the history of all of the past logos and get them on brand-new banners.

It's DEFINITELY time now, UND.  

• Upvote 1

I wouldnt use any team logo.  For the conference titles use an image of the macnaughton or Penrose cups (and I guess the broadmoor for 1982) and for the ncaa titles use the Frozen Four logos of that year or the ncaa logo for the older titles. Puts emphasis on the actual hardware.

• Downvote 2

On 10/1/2016 at 11:52 AM, MafiaMan said:

It's DEFINITELY time now, UND.  

North Dakota has had a long history of doing this.  For instance, if I'm not mistaken at one point the first five championship banners all had the geometric logo on them even though that logo wasn't used by the University until 1976, and didn't show up on the jerseys until sometime in the 1990's.

I think the University, and we as fans, have more important issues to deal with than that.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SJHovey said:

North Dakota has had a long history of doing this.  For instance, if I'm not mistaken at one point the first five championship banners all had the geometric logo on them even though that logo wasn't used by the University until 1976, and didn't show up on the jerseys until sometime in the 1990's.

I think the University, and we as fans, have more important issues to deal with than that.

Couldn't agree more.  Let's start with making fake authentic geometric-style jerseys and selling championship game ice.  

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Couldn't agree more.  Let's start with making fake authentic geometric-style jerseys and selling championship game ice.  

Those geometric jerseys they are auctioning off were made specifically for the REA and done by Gemini, sort of a one and done type deal. So I wouldn't necessarily say they are fake... 

• 5 months later...
15 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Brought back by popular demand due to discussion in another thread.  Was curious to see the fronts of the jerseys the respective teams won their NCAA titles in.  

This needs to happen.  Shameless plug...but when the Bruins won the Cup in 2011 they moved from the same logo on all of their banners to the logo that was worn at the time the Cup was won.  They look great, don't they?!!!!! :)

Image result for boston bruins era-specific stanley cup banners

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
Just now, geaux_sioux said:

Played a lot of really solid full games recently, despite the mean things.

3-3 in their last 6 against three teams whose only hope of going to an NCAA regional is to buy a ticket.  Yea, they're killin' it this season.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Played a lot of really solid full games recently, despite the mean things.

5 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

3-3 in their last 6 against three teams whose only hope of going to an NCAA regional is to buy a ticket.  Yea, they're killin' it this season.  

We've got a 9'x9' of this baby in green and white on her way:

You-tried-enamel-pin-positive-wellbeing-

• Upvote 2

On 3/23/2017 at 11:07 AM, Ray77 said:

This needs to happen.  Shameless plug...but when the Bruins won the Cup in 2011 they moved from the same logo on all of their banners to the logo that was worn at the time the Cup was won.  They look great, don't they?!!!!! :)

Image result for boston bruins era-specific stanley cup banners

You know what? That's a beautiful picture. That made my whole day. :) 

• Upvote 2

So the interlocking ND would be used for the 59 and 63 banners while the Blackhawk logo would be for 80, 82, and 87. Geometric for 97 and 2000, then interlocking ND for 16. I wonder if people would be mad with the BB logo taken off a lot of banners.