SiouxSports.com Forum

REA Banners

MafiaMan

The problem with using the logo of the time we won the Championship,  UND signed an agreement with the NCAA that they could only keep historical important items at the Ralph and that all other items would be replaces as needed.  Getting new banners to replace the old ones that say "Fighting Sioux" on them would be a breach of that  agreement would it not?

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

The problem with using the logo of the time we won the Championship,  UND signed an agreement with the NCAA that they could only keep historical important items at the Ralph and that all other items would be replaces as needed.  Getting new banners to replace the old ones that say "Fighting Sioux" on them would be a breach of that  agreement would it not?

Wouldn't they qualify as historically accurate items?  I'd have a hard time believing the NCAA would let us hang 7 banners that have the Brien logo (none of which the Sioux wore when they won those championships) but wouldn't let us put up the accurate logo that was in place when the championships were won.

chicofelipe also makes a great point about the Blackhawks but again, I understand that the Blackhawks had the Sioux stop using the "Blackhawk logo", but as they did win 2 championships in that logo I can't believe that they would give a crap about 2 banners hanging in the arena with those logos on them.  Maybe I'm wrong on that thought, though.  If so, like chicofelipe said, there's a pretty influential guy in that organization that could maybe talk some sense into them!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

chicofelipe also makes a great point about the Blackhawks but again, I understand that the Blackhawks had the Sioux stop using the "Blackhawk logo", but as they did win 2 championships in that logo I can't believe that they would give a crap about 2 banners hanging in the arena with those logos on them.  Maybe I'm wrong on that thought, though.  If so, like chicofelipe said, there's a pretty influential guy in that organization that could maybe talk some sense into them!

If we change the National Championship banners to be historically accurate don't we have to change the conference banners too. Suddenly there's more than 2 Blackhawks logos in use. You know, other teams don't have this banner problem.... ;)

1 minute ago, chicofelipe said:

If we change the National Championship banners to be historically accurate don't we have to change the conference banners too. Suddenly there's more than 2 Blackhawks logos in use. You know, other teams don't have this banner problem.... ;)

At least then they could show that the Brein logo was only cursed in the post season.

6 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Wouldn't they qualify as historically accurate items?  I'd have a hard time believing the NCAA would let us hang 7 banners that have the Brien logo (none of which the Sioux wore when they won those championships) but wouldn't let us put up the accurate logo that was in place when the championships were won.

The NCAA had not problem with the current banners that were there when they signed the agreement.  My point is that in order to do this, you would be putting up new banners with the name Fighting Sioux on them.  Which violates the agreement from the NCAA.  I think it is a great idea for both National and Conference banners.  Just don't know if the NCAA will let the Ralph do it.

(By the ay, this is great that we are discussing National Championship banner issues)!! :lol:

• Upvote 2

A bit off topic, but when do they raise the banner for the National Championship? Is it going to be at the exhibition game or regular season home opener? I usually don't attend the exhibition but I'll make an exception this year if we're unveiling that beauty. Thanks if anyone knows specifics on this.

43 minutes ago, chicofelipe said:

That is pretty good problem to have. 

I'd prefer leaving the 7 banners as is, then add banners 8-14 with whatever the new logo is so we have balance.  After that, i'm open to suggestions. 

seriously though i'm not a fan of taking things down in that building that have the logo.  i'd rather future generations assume all those 7 were won with the best logo ever created, rather than pointing out that none of them were won with that logo. 

Our three (not two) years that we had Blackhawks-style logos didn't use Blackhawks logos...they were similar, but different variations of them.  We would not need permission.  It's like saying a Ford F150 is the same as a GMC Sierra.  To someone who knows little about cars, they are just both pickup trucks.  But when you actually take the time to look, they are quite different.

23 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I'd prefer leaving the 7 banners as is, then add banners 8-14 with whatever the new logo is so we have balance.  After that, i'm open to suggestions. 

seriously though i'm not a fan of taking things down in that building that have the logo.  i'd rather future generations assume all those 7 were won with the best logo ever created, rather than pointing out that none of them were won with that logo. 

I'd rather we be historically accurate as opposed to having future generations "assume" that a certain logo was the representation of North Dakota seven times.  It's simply not true.  I bet the NCAA would like ND banners so future generations "assume" that the team was always called Fighting Hawks, too.  Let's not let that happen.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Great point!  Did we even have logos on our jerseys when we won in 1959 and 1963?  What did that big chief and sammy sioux logo look like?  Were those it.

I think Mafia posted some team pics earlier from those years.  59 had Sioux spelled diagonally with sammy patch on sleeve.  63 had Sioux spelled diagonally as well, no Sammy.

Regardless, I respect the fact that we no longer hang participation banners up like we did at the old Engelstad Arena. CC had loaded up the World Arena with participation banners and here they've only won two National titles. It leads to a lot of ridicule, particularly from DU fans. Glad to see only conference and national championship banners hanging in the Ralph, regardless of what logo/moniker is on them.

Moving away from the logo on the banners - my buddy who works at the Ralph says they are going to be moving them around somewhat. Scuttlebut is they will be moving the conference banners to the sides over the student section and such, and the 8 title banners will be split 4/4 alternating across chronologically. 

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Regardless, I respect the fact that we no longer hang participation banners up like we did at the old Engelstad Arena. CC had loaded up the World Arena with participation banners and here they've only won two National titles. It leads to a lot of ridicule, particularly from DU fans. Glad to see only conference and national championship banners hanging in the Ralph, regardless of what logo/moniker is on them.

If memory serves me right, the old Engelstad Arena had some 2nd, 3rd and 4th place banners, but not any "tournament participation" tapestry beyond that.

11 minutes ago, dagies said:

While we're on banners, anyone know why they don't hang banners for the conference tournament championship?

I don't think the conference tournament always existed, and winning it didn't guarantee an NCAA tourney spot, so it probably wasn't that important in the more-distant past. ...to be honest, even today most years it feels more important to not get hurt and use it as a stepping stone (if needed) to get the desired NCAA seed.

IMHO, making new "historically correct" logo banners would violate the NCAA agreement*, banners with some of those logos probably never actually existed (you're now inventing "history" to serve your wants), and I'd think it would be a Blackhawks licensing problem (vigorously defend your trademark or you will lose it).

*Otherwise, we can create all kinds of reasons to put up Sioux logos all over the place, marking "historically accurate" occasions.

Also, being shortsighted today would be exceptionally awkward (God forbid) 10-15 years from now when the hodgepodge of banners does not yet include a Fighting Hawks logo.

I know many of you won't like it but I think the most-likely result of thinking through the options that are actually available is that we'll be raising eight new interlocking-ND banners next year, or eight banners with a new Fighting Hawks logo.

1 minute ago, Millionaire said:

I know many of you won't like it but I think the most-likely result of thinking through the options that are actually available is that we'll be raising eight new interlocking-ND banners next year, or eight banners with a new Fighting Hawks logo.

Plot twist: The NCAA let us win this year, to force the Sioux logo banner removal. That's devious.