SiouxSports.com Forum

Closing in on Epic Title Drought

Benny Baker

Terry Wanless didn't care about hockey. He was one of the early breed of Athletic Directors that wanted to be Top Dog. 

Wanless was the best AD UND has had in my memory and it really isn't close.  Budget was in-line and other sports than hockey actually won.  And they won ALOT.  Oh yah, hockey came out of the gutter under his watch after he hired Blais and won a national championship.  .  

Wanless had the stones to tell the coaches NO on things and they didn't like it.  Once he left, they wanted him back real quick.

• Upvote 2

The last few years I've felt like if they would win one and get the monkey off their back they might win one or two more in a fairly short time, but it's getting harder to keep doubt from showing up on Tournament game day with each passing season. 

The good thing is this team will be in the hunt every single year because any recruit with half a brain sees a roster full of NHL draft picks and wants to be a part of it, that needs to start translating into a title now and then or even gfhockey won't be able to save the day.

• Upvote 1

A couple of things I noted last night. The Sioux came out fast and sharp. Their passes for the most part were stick to stick. They aggressively brought the puck out of our zone and certainly played with BU the whole game except for the second have of first, the second and the parts of third when we dominated the play. Our kids busted the asses all night. Even after the fans quit, the team didn't. That is one of the key things in evaluating a coach. These kids never quit. When Zane wasn't having his best game, no one on the team did anything but play harder. The penalty on Poolman where he barely hit the BU guy was bogus. It led to a power play goal. These kids were well prepared. Dumped the puck when they needed to, tried to bring I across blue line when they could. I realize some of you experts who played 4th line on your Bantam B team when you were 10th graders think a coaching change should be made but if so, it isn't cuz we were out coached or not ready.

A number of you geniuses whine when anyone sticks up for this coach or staff. The only reply is that anyone who disagrees with you or dares criticize is a Hak lover or doesn't want a "natty". One of you even suggested he isn't flexible or he is too business like or he should tell the guys to just have fun. You know what goes on cuz your friend had a beer with someone who knows .

"I want to win one". This " fan base settles" for less than a title cuz they won't fire the coach. "I will never accept it". One insinuates Hak needs more time to figure it out.

Listen Sparkies, none of you geniuses have ever once explained how your esteemed opinions of a subject you have demonstrated you know little about cuz you have never been in the locker room means more than the opinions of all the players present and former who have played for Hak, and Dean, guys in the NHL and minors, guys coaching in college and the pros. Every single one of those guys to a person understand what it takes to get to the college level and play for championships and they have nothing but respect for Hakstol. They think you guys are douchebags. I believe if I read correctly one of you were smart enough to inadvertently admit it in a previous post.

I doubt that other than your game for 4th place in your PeeWee B tourney that you have had to buckle up and lay it on the line. If you did you might have some insight on the leadership and coaching talent it took to keep this team from giving up when we were down 4-1. Our self proclaimed best fans in the world quit on this team but the coaches and players didn't quit. That's what you look for in a coach. He and is staff recruit the mentor, they teach and they win. The National Title will come. I've been watching them for 45 years. Wg have the staff in place to get this done.

This isn't about you and your life should be no different today than yesterday. It would have been great to see the guys and their coaches rewarded for their hard work and effort. What we get is to say we support the team that played and they are the ones who won or lost. You guys didn't lose squat and you wouldn't have won squat. The coaches and players win and lose.

Lastly I'll comment about a couple of fans. One couple with their baby girl drove to MSP to fly out of their when the flights out of Fargo were delayed and canceled. Another chartered a private jet and then let other Sioux fans ride along in the other seats. They would not take any money to help pay. Another despite a traumatic brain injury that kept him hospitalized for months flew in by himself cuz he couldn't make last years when he lay comatose for 11 days fighting for his life. These folks and the majority are Sioux fans who appreciated the effort and excellent play and coaching of this team. We expect to win National titles. If the team and coaches stop putting forth their best effort and can't be competitive then the former coaches,former players and fans who have an understanding of the pride and effort these kids and staff have put forth on behalf or all of us fans, our University, the state of North Dakota will affect the necessary changes. You geniuses that have never had to "knock on wood", or face a bullet or make a save or shot in front of 20,000 people can then take credit and say you knew it all along. You don't need to be a Hak lover to see, this was a well coached team and they had a great year. We has fans had the opportunity to come along for the ride. Go Sioux.

Winner. Of the the Internet 2015.

Yes. This.

A couple of things I noted last night. The Sioux came out fast and sharp. Their passes for the most part were stick to stick. They aggressively brought the puck out of our zone and certainly played with BU the whole game except for the second have of first, the second and the parts of third when we dominated the play. Our kids busted the asses all night. Even after the fans quit, the team didn't. That is one of the key things in evaluating a coach. These kids never quit. When Zane wasn't having his best game, no one on the team did anything but play harder. The penalty on Poolman where he barely hit the BU guy was bogus. It led to a power play goal. These kids were well prepared. Dumped the puck when they needed to, tried to bring I across blue line when they could. I realize some of you experts who played 4th line on your Bantam B team when you were 10th graders think a coaching change should be made but if so, it isn't cuz we were out coached or not ready.

A number of you geniuses whine when anyone sticks up for this coach or staff. The only reply is that anyone who disagrees with you or dares criticize is a Hak lover or doesn't want a "natty". One of you even suggested he isn't flexible or he is too business like or he should tell the guys to just have fun. You know what goes on cuz your friend had a beer with someone who knows .

"I want to win one". This " fan base settles" for less than a title cuz they won't fire the coach. "I will never accept it". One insinuates Hak needs more time to figure it out.

Listen Sparkies, none of you geniuses have ever once explained how your esteemed opinions of a subject you have demonstrated you know little about cuz you have never been in the locker room means more than the opinions of all the players present and former who have played for Hak, and Dean, guys in the NHL and minors, guys coaching in college and the pros. Every single one of those guys to a person understand what it takes to get to the college level and play for championships and they have nothing but respect for Hakstol. They think you guys are douchebags. I believe if I read correctly one of you were smart enough to inadvertently admit it in a previous post.

I doubt that other than your game for 4th place in your PeeWee B tourney that you have had to buckle up and lay it on the line. If you did you might have some insight on the leadership and coaching talent it took to keep this team from giving up when we were down 4-1. Our self proclaimed best fans in the world quit on this team but the coaches and players didn't quit. That's what you look for in a coach. He and is staff recruit the mentor, they teach and they win. The National Title will come. I've been watching them for 45 years. Wg have the staff in place to get this done.

This isn't about you and your life should be no different today than yesterday. It would have been great to see the guys and their coaches rewarded for their hard work and effort. What we get is to say we support the team that played and they are the ones who won or lost. You guys didn't lose squat and you wouldn't have won squat. The coaches and players win and lose.

Lastly I'll comment about a couple of fans. One couple with their baby girl drove to MSP to fly out of their when the flights out of Fargo were delayed and canceled. Another chartered a private jet and then let other Sioux fans ride along in the other seats. They would not take any money to help pay. Another despite a traumatic brain injury that kept him hospitalized for months flew in by himself cuz he couldn't make last years when he lay comatose for 11 days fighting for his life. These folks and the majority are Sioux fans who appreciated the effort and excellent play and coaching of this team. We expect to win National titles. If the team and coaches stop putting forth their best effort and can't be competitive then the former coaches,former players and fans who have an understanding of the pride and effort these kids and staff have put forth on behalf or all of us fans, our University, the state of North Dakota will affect the necessary changes. You geniuses that have never had to "knock on wood", or face a bullet or make a save or shot in front of 20,000 people can then take credit and say you knew it all along. You don't need to be a Hak lover to see, this was a well coached team and they had a great year. We has fans had the opportunity to come along for the ride. Go Sioux.

I ever meet your sir, drinks are on me. Your speak the truth.

You know why he doesn't get full and unquestioned credit for his regular season wins vs. post season failures at North Dakota?  Because every coach before him did the exact same thing as far as wins go.  Its been 40 years since a coach really struggled at UND.  

Wasn't Gino struggling for a few years in the early 90s?

Great post.

Fair question....If he's had a run like the last 11 I would be fine with him staying there as I believe he will get one if UND is consistently there. I follow that up with a question to you. What team's success would you rather have below going back 11 years?

Duluth

1 national title

5 NCAA tourneys

2 Frozen Fours

1 Conference Tourney Title

UND

0 national titles

12 NCAA tourneys

7 Frozen Fours

4 Conference Tourney titles

I would rather be in the NCAA tourney every single year and the Frozen four 7 out of 12 years with a chance to win it than be what Duluth has been with one title and only 5 NCAA trips. Even if Hak had a title but only made the NCAAs 5-12 years I would think he should be gone. Instead he has 0 titles, but he consistently has his team in a spot to win. 

You might answer that by saying look at all Haks resources, well I would argue Duluth's are just as good. A facility that is almost as nice as the ralph, a great city to recruit to, only 2 hours from the Twin Cities, nice campus, great tradition, etc. Duluth is a top ten job in college hockey in my mind and they have been to the NCAAs 5 out of 12 years and 2 frozen fours. 

At this point in my UND fandom i've seen it all...I've seen National Hockey Titles and I'm just fine where Hak has the program. I think UND fans should be putting more time and effort to getting Bubba in the FCS playoffs and getting our MBB team to the big dance. Those are things I haven't seen that i want to. Hak and the Men's hockey program are the least of my worries. 

The 11 year resume above for UND to that of Duluth is clearly superior, without a doubt.  For anyone to argue otherwise based solely on the merit of Duluth's one natty would be simply ludicrous and I could not take them serious.  You have to look at the whole body of work and UND's is superior to Duluth's in that timespan, no natty be damned!.  Frustrating as hell Haks can't get that natty but fire him for his coaching?  It's his fault that for the most part although we outplayed BU (NCAA stat, we had 8 qlty chances v BU's 3) we hit 2 pipes, Zane picked the worst time to arguably play his worst game of the season,...  I don't know how could Haks have "coached" that differently?  Should he have given a better pre-game "pep talk" so UND played better the first 10 minutes of the game, maybe, but this ain't Hoosiers.  If you want to blame him for his recruiting (maybe those 2 pipes go in last night if they were two other players we lost out on) then go ahead but time and time again I've seen the chief criticism being that he brings in all these great recruits but can't win a natty.  You can't have it both ways. Although we are one of the recognized top college hockey programs with great facilities this is still Grand Forks ND (that's not a slam, I live in this area by choice) and not Denver, Boston, Twin Cities, Madison, Ann Arbor,...     

Drops the mic and walks off stage!

Great post

• Upvote 1

NEWS FLASH: Every single freakin fan wants him to get one! I damn near wanted to break my 65" TV out of frustration at the game last night.

Now once again, Who would like to see Hakstol canned before the start of next season? Please identify yourselves.

A much more important question though is if you fire Haks who do you replace him with?  Who's that better coach out there who's available/likely available that will get better results than Haks?  I want to know.   

Thank you for your post.  Absolutely well done.

Go Sioux.

A much more important question though is if you fire Haks who do you replace him with?  Who's that better coach out there who's available/likely available that will get better results than Haks?  I want to know.   

any of the head coaches at other schools that have won a national champion in the last ten years with 1/50 of the resources hak has been give over the years...any of them! 

You don't have a clue what it takes. The REA isn't enough. Gino, Dean and Hak have also had to put up with fans who think cuz they played 4th line on their Bantam B team they should get to sit and drink beer with them and listen to the dumb ass things they slur after 13 beers.

i haven't mentioned gino or dean in any of my posts....they both won lots of games and national championships with far far less than what was handed to hak and i respect them for that...here is a question for ya...If ralph was alive today do you think that hak would be coach after these last 11 years??

BU is doing ok with a new coach, but UND couldnt possibly?

• Upvote 1

BU is doing ok with a new coach, but UND couldnt possibly?

If Jack Eichel had been wearing a North Dakota jersey this season, odds are Brian Jones could have had them playing in tomorrow night's game.

On the flip-side, if Eichel or even Rodrigues takes a puck to a kneecap in the last game of the regular season, does Quinn still get BU to the Frozen Four?

• Upvote 1