SiouxSports.com Forum

Closing in on Epic Title Drought

Benny Baker

I still take the overall success the program has had in the last 15 years. We may not have won one, but the team is always there at the end, and that's all one could ask. Some of you might be a little young but there were some lean years in some of those stretches. Lean enough were Men's and Women's basketball was out drawing men's hockey. I have confidence Dave will get one eventually.

honest question...let's say hak keeps winning 70-75 % of his games but doesn't win a national title...how long would you be comfortable before making a change....5 years...ten years...20?

honest question...let's say hak keeps winning 70-75 % of his games but doesn't win a national title...how long would you be comfortable before making a change....5 years...ten years...20?

It.

Doesn't.

Matter.

Hak's not going anywhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You know why he doesn't get full and unquestioned credit for his regular season wins vs. post season failures at North Dakota? Because every coach before him did the exact same thing as far as wins go. Its been 40 years since a coach really struggled at UND.

Wrong.

if your not gonna count an empty netter against don't count the goalie pretty much scoring one in his own net so 4-2 is a little more accurate whichs means in the last three ff games we have scored 0, 1, and 2 goals (two of those three belong to a walk on iirc)...just give muss...oops hak i mean a little more time and he will figure this all out....

Even I must admit that the Muss comparison is horrible. Muss couldn't win any games much less the big one. Its too bad that each team doesn't have a separate coach for the regular season and the playoffs. Hak is very good at pulling a team together and developing them to a certain point. However, he's simply not a big game coach.

You can never have your cake and eat it too.

Simply Fact in college hockey?

You are either constantly winning without a natty. Or you win a natty and suck for ten years.

Nothing else.

No one else on this planet could ever come close to Hakstols 1-7 Frozen Four record.

These are thing UND fans need to accept as UND fans.

Fair question....If he's had a run like the last 11 I would be fine with him staying there as I believe he will get one if UND is consistently there. I follow that up with a question to you. What team's success would you rather have below going back 11 years?

Duluth

1 national title

5 NCAA tourneys

2 Frozen Fours

1 Conference Tourney Title

UND

0 national titles

12 NCAA tourneys

7 Frozen Fours

4 Conference Tourney titles

I would rather be in the NCAA tourney every single year and the Frozen four 7 out of 12 years with a chance to win it than be what Duluth has been with one title and only 5 NCAA trips. Even if Hak had a title but only made the NCAAs 5-12 years I would think he should be gone. Instead he has 0 titles, but he consistently has his team in a spot to win. 

You might answer that by saying look at all Haks resources, well I would argue Duluth's are just as good. A facility that is almost as nice as the ralph, a great city to recruit to, only 2 hours from the Twin Cities, nice campus, great tradition, etc. Duluth is a top ten job in college hockey in my mind and they have been to the NCAAs 5 out of 12 years and 2 frozen fours. 

At this point in my UND fandom i've seen it all...I've seen National Hockey Titles and I'm just fine where Hak has the program. I think UND fans should be putting more time and effort to getting Bubba in the FCS playoffs and getting our MBB team to the big dance. Those are things I haven't seen that i want to. Hak and the Men's hockey program are the least of my worries. 

I'm not in the fire Hak camp, but color me frustrated

For me there are many topics to be explored here -

- Given the talented goalies we have had, why so many meltdowns in the Frozen Four, and no hot goalies for us?

- Why is Eastern hockey kicking West but for so many years now - we used to feel superior - now, not so much

- While we certainly have had talent, why no Parise's, Oshies, or Toews lately - other schools (Eichel, Gaurdau (sp) ) are getting them

- One thing I do know is starting today, Hak will work his butt off for next year.  Is he working smart?- can he be flexible - are we going to be a dump and chase team forever?

- If each team has about a 50% chance of winning each Frozen Four game (and sometimes I felt the Sioux had more than 5/10 chances of winning the games) then the odds against only winning one game in eight trials is very very high (too lazy to do the math) - Either we are doing something wrong, or we are the unluckiest team in the universe.  

- What do we need to do to get over the hump?  It's been so long that we actually have had a lead in a Frozen Four it is almost crazy - that must speak somewhat to preparation

- I really really hate to say it, but I think it's true - Winners win - When the Bison needed to drive the field in the closing minutes to win a championship, by God they did it.  What spark are we missing?

No one else on this planet could ever come close to Hakstols 1-7 Frozen Four record.

Is it because outside of Jerry York, no other coach has been able to get their team to the Frozen Four at even close to the same pace? Criticize Hak's Frozen Four record but ignore the frequency that he has got UND to that point?  Seems odd.

Fair question....If he's had a run like the last 11 I would be fine with him staying there as I believe he will get one if UND is consistently there. I follow that up with a question to you. What team's success would you rather have below going back 11 years?

Duluth

1 national title

5 NCAA tourneys

2 Frozen Fours

1 Conference Tourney Title

UND

0 national titles

12 NCAA tourneys

7 Frozen Fours

4 Conference Tourney titles

I would rather be in the NCAA tourney every single year and the Frozen four 7 out of 12 years with a chance to win it than be what Duluth has been with one title and only 5 NCAA trips. Even if Hak had a title but only made the NCAAs 5-12 years I would think he should be gone. Instead he has 0 titles, but he consistently has his team in a spot to win. 

You might answer that by saying look at all Haks resources, well I would argue Duluth's are just as good. A facility that is almost as nice as the ralph, a great city to recruit to, only 2 hours from the Twin Cities, nice campus, great tradition, etc. Duluth is a top ten job in college hockey in my mind and they have been to the NCAAs 5 out of 12 years and 2 frozen fours. 

At this point in my UND fandom i've seen it all...I've seen National Hockey Titles and I'm just fine where Hak has the program. I think UND fans should be putting more time and effort to getting Bubba in the FCS playoffs and getting our MBB team to the big dance. Those are things I haven't seen that i want to. Hak and the Men's hockey program are the least of my worries. 

Duluth is and always been a good but not great hockey school.  Hak didn't take over Duluth, he took over UND, the flat out best team in college hockey over the previous 20 years - so there's that.

Please explain. And make sure to throw in the national championship part of the equation when doing it.

You said every coach has done the exact same thing as far as WINS the last 40 years. That's incorrect. Don't change it after the fact and include the national title.

I'm not in the fire Hak camp, but color me frustrated

For me there are many topics to be explored here -

- Given the talented goalies we have had, why so many meltdowns in the Frozen Four, and no hot goalies for us?

- Why is Eastern hockey kicking West but for so many years now - we used to feel superior - now, not so much

- While we certainly have had talent, why no Parise's, Oshies, or Toews lately - other schools (Eichel, Gaurdau (sp) ) are getting them

- One thing I do know is starting today, Hak will work his butt off for next year.  Is he working smart?- can he be flexible - are we going to be a dump and chase team forever?

- If each team has about a 50% chance of winning each Frozen Four game (and sometimes I felt the Sioux had more than 5/10 chances of winning the games) then the odds against only winning one game in eight trials is very very high (too lazy to do the math) - Either we are doing something wrong, or we are the unluckiest team in the universe.  

- What do we need to do to get over the hump?  It's been so long that we actually have had a lead in a Frozen Four it is almost crazy - that must speak somewhat to preparation

- I really really hate to say it, but I think it's true - Winners win - When the 2001 UND Football Team needed to drive the field in the closing minutes to win a championship, by God they did it.  What spark are we missing?

FYP

You said every coach has done the exact same thing as far as WINS the last 40 years. That's incorrect. Don't change it after the fact and include the national title.

Regular season wins vs. Post season failures.  Gino and Blais both won a ton of regular season games, too.  

Gino - 392-248-24 (61%) - and that with his last 3 seasons being terrible.

Blais - 262-115-33 (73%)

I would say they won some regular season games.  No?  

Regular season wins vs. Post season failures. Gino and Blais both won a ton of regular season games, too.

Gino - 392-248 (62%) - and that with his last 3 seasons being terrible.

Blais - 262-115 (69%)

I would say they won some regular season games. No?

Why were his last three years terrible? On your own accord, we should always have the best recruiting.

Duluth is and always been a good but not great hockey school. Hak didn't take over Duluth, he took over UND, the flat out best team in college hockey over the previous 20 years - so there's that.

That's 1984-85 thru 2003-2004. Sorry, but having attended UND from 1988-1992 and having seen home games in the 1993-1995 time span, I'd hardly say I was witnessing the "flat out best team in college hockey" over a good 7 years of that stretch you're throwing out there.

Why were his last three years terrible? On your own accord, we should always have the best recruiting.

You got me confused with somebody else, never said a word about recruiting.  But I know that Terry did fire him because the program wasn't winning.

Even I must admit that the Muss comparison is horrible. Muss couldn't win any games much less the big one. Its too bad that each team doesn't have a separate coach for the regular season and the playoffs. Hak is very good at pulling a team together and developing them to a certain point. However, he's simply not a big game coach.

not saying that muss got a raw deal but if you talk to people that know intercollegiate sports they know that it takes $$$$$$$ to gets thing done...there is a spending war amonst schools for all sports...muss had guys that last couple of years that should have been graduate assistants as assistant head coaches and o and d coordinators...what we were expecting the results to be...on the ohter hand hak doesn't have that problem...he has every resource at his disposal yet he can't get some more blue chippers and maybe figure out that dump and chase and cycling just have a weak ass shot hit a "hot goalie" in the chest with no rebounds is not gonna get it done and the natinal tourney... but hey at least we are out shooting these teams we are losing to in the semi's??

• Upvote 1

You know why he doesn't get full and unquestioned credit for his regular season wins vs. post season failures at North Dakota?  Because every coach before him did the exact same thing as far as wins go.  Its been 40 years since a coach really struggled at UND.  

It's been a long time but not 40 years.   The early 1990's were a pretty tough time to be a fan IMO.