SiouxSports.com Forum

Closing in on Epic Title Drought

Benny Baker

Wanless was the best AD UND has had in my memory and it really isn't close.  Budget was in-line and other sports than hockey actually won.  And they won ALOT.  Oh yah, hockey came out of the gutter under his watch after he hired Blais and won a national championship.  .  

Wanless had the stones to tell the coaches NO on things and they didn't like it.  Once he left, they wanted him back real quick.

Sounds like the col who support from both the students and the alumni.

You mean the Michigan game that we completely dominated and controlled what would have been the coaching adjustment you would have made in that game?

whatever the adjustment that sandelin made two days later...not sure what it was but it got him a banner to hang in amsoil arena?

Hakstol inherited a team that lost the previous year to the eventual champs by one goal in the tournament.

So as long as Dean Blais is the coach, losing in a regional final to the eventual champion (2004 Denver) is acceptable, but with Hakstol (2013 Yale), it's an embarrassment?

whatever the adjustment that sandelin made two days later...not sure what it was but it got him a banner to hang in amsoil arena?

It was Michigan playing their best game of the season and Hunwick standing on his head with some help from the iron against UND and them playing an average game against Duluth.

So as long as Dean Blais is the coach, losing in a regional final to the eventual champion (2004 Denver) is acceptable, but with Hakstol (2013 Yale), it's an embarrassment?

Its never embarrassing to lose to the eventual champs.

It was Michigan playing their best game of the season and Hunwick standing on his head with some help from the iron against UND and them playing an average game against Duluth.

right off the checklist that all hak lovers have...

hot goalie

bad bounces

bad ice

bad luck

what if jt miller had_____

injuries

refs

and the other team played their best game of the year.

put em on dartboard...throw a dart and you have the reason why hak hasn't won a championship at any level in nearly 30 years!!!!!!!!

hot goalie

bad bounces

bad ice

bad luck

injuries

refs

put em on dartboard...throw a dart and you have the reason why hak hasn't won a championship at any level in nearly 30 years!!!!!!!!

okay genius, what should Hak have done differently? Where is the blame on the players (not saying they should get blamed but if Hak is why arn't they) for not executing properly?  Last time I checked, Hak wasn't the won who let in a couple soft goals or hit a few pipes....

You talk like Hak was handed a team that had 6 national championships in a row. What was Hak really "handed" to him? A team Blais couldn't even get out of the regionals?

If ralph was alive today he would do two things: first he would probably raise all sorts of hell with the NCAA, the University and the state of North Dakota. Secondly, he would shake Hak's hand for keeping that logo around and teaching the history of the FIGHTING SIOUX to all the incoming players....

On Hak's first year roster:   Bina, Canady, Fabian, Fuher, Fylling, Greene, Jones, Lamoureaux, McMahon, J Parise, Murray, Porter, Prpich, Radke, Schneider, Smaby, Spirko, Stafford, and Zajac - not quite a rebuilding year.

hot goalie

bad bounces

bad ice

bad luck

injuries

refs

Yeah that's it its not like it could have actually happened. Your genius adjustment would have probably been to tell the team to score more goals.

On Hak's first year roster:   Bina, Canady, Fabian, Fuher, Fylling, Greene, Jones, Lamoureaux, McMahon, J Parise, Murray, Porter, Prpich, Radke, Schneider, Smaby, Spirko, Stafford, and Zajac - 

sounds like the roster from Blais's final year too....

okay genius, what should Hak have done differently? Where is the blame on the players (not saying they should get blamed but if Hak is why arn't they) for not executing properly?  Last time I checked, Hak wasn't the won who let in a couple soft goals or hit a few pipes....

whatever sandelin, parker, york, allain, bennett, lucia, the gwoz, eaves, or comley did in the last few years did...what they did...don't know what they did but it worked.

Should Hak be fired?  I don't know, probably not.  But if we keep choking our ass off every year, does it really matter who the coach is?  I could coach the team to earning NOTHING in the frozen four year after year.  Wait.......I couldn't even get us to the FF you say?  You're right...my bad.  But tell me this..what does the team who goes to the FF and loses every year get that the teams who don't even make the tournament don't?   Oh yeah...they get to break the hearts of their fans every damn year.

Maybe we just boiled down the angst to its essence.  Thing is, we fans all have broken hearts, whether we are fans who are posting in support of Hakstol, or fans who are posting that Hakstol should be fired. 

You know, when my wife was battling cancer, it was a really helpless feeling.  I cleaned the house top to bottom every weekend.  Why?  Because it was something I could control, and because there was a tangible outcome that I could affect.  That made me feel good.  Our situation sucked, but this was something I could do to make life better.

Well, our favorite hockey team just lost, AGAIN, and it sucks.  Sucks bad, because we all wanted them to win.  We all want to see another banner hung.  We all want to puff up our chests and say "we've got 8, how about you?".  Yep, me too, I admit it.

So, how do we respond when things don't go our way? 

And maybe this is really the core of the debate here.    We (fans) don't play the games, but for many of us we live and die as if we do.  I'm not being critical of that.  Some people might criticize that.  Not me.   I think I get it.  Count me as one of you.

But for those of us that feel that pain, after a loss, what can we do to make things better, since we don't play or compete?

Some people want to clean the house.   I just don't think that's the answer this time.

Iramurphy = Poster of the Year

• Upvote 4

Yeah that's it its not like it could have actually happened. Your genius adjustment would have probably been to tell the team to score more goals.

that could be the problem right there...hak would rather not give up a goal than to score a goal sometimes...just look at the last fifteen seconds of the game from yesterday...it might be so ingrained into the players heads that they don't use instinct and react...i think it was schmaltz that just sat on the blue line staring at the scrum right in front of him on the boards...just frickin sat there...he should have been going forward with everything he had but he just stayed there??? why?

It's not just the one loss - it's that frustration times 7

that could be the problem right there...hak would rather not give up a goal than to score a goal sometimes...just look at the last fifteen seconds of the game from yesterday...it might be so ingrained into the players heads that they don't use instinct and react...i think it was schmaltz that just sat on the blue line staring at the scrum right in front of him on the boards...just frickin sat there...he should have been going forward with everything he had but he just stayed there??? why?

So that's haks fault schmaltz just sat there? Please! At some point the players need to be held to the same standards you are holding Hak to...

whatever sandelin, parker, york, allain, bennett, lucia, the gwoz, eaves, or comley did in the last few years did...what they did...don't know what they did but it worked.

I can tell you what worked wonders for Eaves in 2006: having a regional AND the Frozen Four in Wisconsin.

Hmnnn...come to think of it, that worked out quite nicely for Don Lucia in 2002 too in Minnesota.

And with all due respect, Rick Comley was about to be run out of East Lansing before stumbling into that 2007 miracle-run title.

I can tell you what worked wonders for Eaves in 2006: having a regional AND the Frozen Four in Wisconsin.

Hmnnn...come to think of it, that worked out quite nicely for Don Lucia in 2002 too in Minnesota.

And with all due respect, Rick Comley was about to be run out of East Lansing before stumbling into that 2007 miracle-run title.

Wisconsin's fans want Eaves gone and would gladly take the success that UND has every year over the 4 year plan with Eaves. 

Minnesota's fans want Lucia gone, at least some do.

• Upvote 1

once again i haven't brought up dean or gino in my posts..they are gone and aren't coming back...and secondly ralph built his building to win National Titles not wcha, penrose, or final five titles and participation awards that are so popular now.  No f'ing way after the michigan game a couple years ago would he have said good job hak get em next year...no way.   And maybe you are too close to program to where you can't see that something is wrong with the hockey program and something needs to change.

Nope, not closer to the program than anyone else. Haven't been in game time locker room since the 86-87 team. I have enjoyed meeting and visiting with former and sometimes present players over the years. I always ask them their opinion about our coaches and every one speaks positively and with respect about Hak and his staff. They all want us to win National championships. So do you and I.

Im not the guy who started calling for someone's head. Read your other posts. You and the others don't have solutions other than we have to win a title. With your next post, tell me why your opinion should carry anywhere near the same weight as the guys who play the game at this level and in the NHL. What do you know that they dont? One poor soul admits he loses sleep over these games. Some feel that if they donate money it makes them more relevant as a fan than you and I or the poor family who only can go to a game when their boss gives them her tix, or the student who gives up beer money once a month to see a game. You have no clue why,you just think your lives will be better with a new coach. That doesn't make sense. We are the Fighting Sioux family and when someone unfairly attacks our family then many of us will defend them. Conference titles and conference playoffs are great but we all want #8. The biggest difference as I see it is that I want that title for the players, coaches, state and University. Some of you guys seems to want that for yourselves. I happen to think that is a bit goofy cuz we aren't playing and in some cases it isn't healthy.

• Upvote 1

2000: North Dakota

2001, 2008, 2010, 2012: BC (Notre Dame, Ferris State)

2002 and 2003: Minnesota (Maine, UNH)

2004 and 2005: Denver

2006: Wisconsin

2007: Michigan State

2009: Boston U (Miami)

2011: UMD (Michigan)

2013: Yale (Quinnipiac)

2014: Union

If Providence can beat BU tomorrow, despite BC's

dominance and back-to-back titles by both DU and Minnesota, the Friars would become the 11th different program to win a national championship in the last 16 seasons.

In addition to that, 7 different schools competed in that championship game and lost (schools listed in parentheses) in those 16 seasons.

In all, 18 different teams have competed in the NCAA hockey championship game since 2000. That's almost 1/3 of the teams that actually play college hockey.

• Upvote 1

So that's haks fault schmaltz just sat there? Please! At some point the players need to be held to the same standards you are holding Hak to...

i guess you are missing the point being that maybe hak plays it to close to the vest and doesn't allow his players to use their god given talents...maybe schmaltz has been yelled at one too many times in practice to stay here, don't go there, do your job and don't mess up.....watch the video...there is fifteen seconds or ten seconds left in the game/season and he looked like he was posing for a picture back there...

• Upvote 1

Maybe we just boiled down the angst to its essence.  Thing is, we fans all have broken hearts, whether we are fans who are posting in support of Hakstol, or fans who are posting that Hakstol should be fired. 

You know, when my wife was battling cancer, it was a really helpless feeling.  I cleaned the house top to bottom every weekend.  Why?  Because it was something I could control, and because there was a tangible outcome that I could affect.  That made me feel good.  Our situation sucked, but this was something I could do to make life better.

Well, our favorite hockey team just lost, AGAIN, and it sucks.  Sucks bad, because we all wanted them to win.  We all want to see another banner hung.  We all want to puff up our chests and say "we've got 8, how about you?".  Yep, me too, I admit it.

So, how do we respond when things don't go our way? 

And maybe this is really the core of the debate here.    We (fans) don't play the games, but for many of us we live and die as if we do.  I'm not being critical of that.  Some people might criticize that.  Not me.   I think I get it.  Count me as one of you.

But for those of us that feel that pain, after a loss, what can we do to make things better, since we don't play or compete?

Some people want to clean the house.   I just don't think that's the answer this time.

Sorry to hear about your wife man, hope she is doing much better. 

Good post.  I understand what you are saying too, just getting tired of the constant letdown from this program. 

Anyways..good post. 

Nope, not closer to the program than anyone else. Haven't been in game time locker room since the 86-87 team. I have enjoyed meeting and visiting with former and sometimes present players over the years. I always ask them their opinion about our coaches and every one speaks positively and with respect about Hak and his staff. They all want us to win National championships. So do you and I.

Im not the guy who started calling for someone's head. Read your other posts. You and the others don't have solutions other than we have to win a title. With your next post, tell me why your opinion should carry anywhere near the same weight as the guys who play the game at this level and in the NHL. What do you know that they dont? One poor soul admits he loses sleep over these games. Some feel that if they donate money it makes them more relevant as a fan than you and I or the poor family who only can go to a game when their boss gives them her tix, or the student who gives up beer money once a month to see a game. You have no clue why,you just think your lives will be better with a new coach. That doesn't make sense. We are the Fighting Sioux family and when someone unfairly attacks our family then many of us will defend them. Conference titles and conference playoffs are great but we all want #8. The biggest difference as I see it is that I want that title for the players, coaches, state and University. Some of you guys seems to want that for yourselves. I happen to think that is a bit goofy cuz we aren't playing and in some cases it isn't healthy.

Speaking of the "holier than thou" crowd. 

Get real pal, you're no better fan or person than anyone else on here.  As much as you like to act like you are. 

i guess i just don't get why people would be so scared about letting hak go and trying someone else...you think if eades got the job the bottom would just fall out the bottom with ten straight losing seasons? i admire the ad at umd letting their womens coach go...try someone else and see what happens (and save about 200k a year too)

Speaking of the "holier than thou" crowd. 

Get real pal, you're no better fan than anyone on here.  As much as you like to act like it.

Great comeback Sparky. I'm not holy much less holier than you or anyone else. I have stated none of us are better or worse fans than those of you who have a different opinion even those who give lots of money. There are always similar comebacks to anyone who doesn't see things as you. Ok for folks to call players chokers or a coach clueless but God help us all should we dare challenge those thoughts. You may wish to send PM if this is going south.
  • Upvote 1