SiouxSports.com Forum

Closing in on Epic Title Drought

Benny Baker

Great comeback Sparky. I'm not holy much less holier than you or anyone else. I have stated none of us are better or worse fans than those of you who have a different opinion even those who give lots of money. There are always similar comebacks to anyone who doesn't see things as you. Ok for folks to call players chokers or a coach clueless but God help us all should we dare challenge those thoughts. You may wish to send PM if this is going south.

"Sparky" 

Do your parents know you're up this late?

• Upvote 2

i guess i just don't get why people would be so scared about letting hak go and trying someone else...you think if eades got the job the bottom would just fall out the bottom with ten straight losing seasons? i admire the ad at umd letting their womens coach go...try someone else and see what happens (and save about 200k a year too)

Because it would serve no purpose other than to disrupt a very successful college program. I get your frustration. Same as many of us. Eades isn't going to get the job even if Hak were to leave. Nothing against Eades but it won't happen. At this level we don't "try someone else". We need to have a direction and purpose for those decisions. Put yourself in a room with this team next week or the former players from the last 11 years. What you tell them about making a major change like that to a program and dumping a coach that has the respect and confidence of his players? I'm pretty sure they expect more than we want #8. That's a given. I'm curious.

Don't think so they are both deceased. Thanks for asking. How about taking the personal stuff to the PM.

Reading through this thread, it appears you start most of your posts by calling people names.  

I agree with the others.  Quit while you are behind. 

i guess i just don't get why people would be so scared about letting hak go and trying someone else...you think if eades got the job the bottom would just fall out the bottom with ten straight losing seasons? i admire the ad at umd letting their womens coach go...try someone else and see what happens (and save about 200k a year too)

The problem is who...and would they improve the results? Two things about Hakstol that nobody can argue with, he's been able to consistently recruit the best players in the country and he's been able to gain momentum almost every year going into the playoffs, although unfortunately it has fallen a game or two short. Could we realistically expect a new coach to be able to do those things? It would be a real risk unless there was somebody really proven looking to move, but those kind of guys don't jump around much. 

It's not like we're talking about a coach who has stunk it up for 10 years, he wins at about a .650 clip and gets to the tournament every year, that's what makes it hard to think about replacing him. I'm as sick as anyone about these last 10 years and losing games to BC midgets and Michigan unconscious goalies and .6 Goofs and now BU PP's, I've about frickin had it with these NCAA letdowns, but I'm old enough to have gone through 2 stretches of real bad Sioux hockey teams and I have to tell you there is nothing worse than living through 6 or 7 years of that, and I'd hate to lose a coach who knows how to win games and risk being mediocre or worse again for a while.

I don't know what the answer is, I don't believe in jinxes but the Curse of the Bambino seems to be on this team right now.

Or maybe we should start hanging FF "participation" banners in the rafters at the Ralph - that could be Haks contribution to the legacy!  He's have 7 just like our NC banners:-(

bull$%!#!  He's a nice guy - a former player, a good coach, and a loyal steward to the program but not a GREAT coach.  That's the problem!  UND has the FERRARI of facilities in the nation.  There are a lot of "good" coaches who could also take the keys to that Ferrari and see what they could do with that racecar!  Hak seems to always be "minding the speed limit" on some level...for him - that's emotion.   Watch him on the bench....you can't tell if he's coaching a hockey game or having his car washed.  (and no "Flipping the bird" one time doesn't count:-)

It used to be a FF matchup made me so nervous I was like a cat before the game....pacing the floor and totally nervous.  Thursday - for the first time ever as a UND fan - I was totally relaxed - because I expected them to LOSE.   If they won, THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT!   I would have been dancing around like a maniac in anticipation of the NC game and totally on board to see how that game played out but then I realized....

FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER in a national tournament....I EXPECTED THEM TO LOSE!

THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE! as  true UND hockey fan

and, for me, that's why Hak has to go.  You had a good run - we need to move on.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Honestly, reading through this, I'm disappointed in being a Sioux fan right now. Not because my team isn't in the national championship, but because by default I'm associated with this sniveling portion of the fanbase.

I couldn't imagine what one of they players would feel like if they came upon this website, what some of you say about them, and say about their coach who they obviously have a large amount of respect for. It's also clear that this minority, but vocal group, has been heard by the players if a former star of the team feels the need to post a tweet following a semi final loss regarding the coach. Maybe, just maybe, you're incessant complaining about not having your very own natty has played into these kids heads as well.

I can say this, I will continue to support this program, this coach, and these players as long as they are there, and I'm not going to complain about it if they don't win the big one, because I know it means far more to them then it ever would me. I have my entire life to root and cheer for a championship, and it will feel the same whether it's next year, or ten years from now. They only have four to get it done. My heart breaks for Pattyn especially, you can see through his actions and words how much this program means to him. How much these players and the staff that supports them means to him, and this is quite likely the end of the road for his playing career.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

John Fox was fired after leading his team to a Super Bowl and NFCCG in back to back seasons. 

Why?  Because he couldn't close the deal!  And in Denver it's Superbowl or bust.   Not too crazy to expect the same with arguably the best college hockey team in the nation year in and year out. 

We should be in the frozen four.  Too much talent year after year not to be in it.  Like someone else said...most of us could have gotten some of these teams to the frozen four.  Time to hire someone who can WIN one. 

• Upvote 2

Honestly, reading through this, I'm disappointed in being a Sioux fan right now. Not because my team isn't in the national championship, but because by default I'm associated with this sniveling portion of the fanbase.

I couldn't imagine what one of they players would feel like if they came upon this website, what some of you say about them, and say about their coach who they obviously have a large amount of respect for. It's also clear that this minority, but vocal group, has been heard by the players if a former star of the team feels the need to post a tweet following a semi final loss regarding the coach. Maybe, just maybe, you're incessant complaining about not having your very own natty has played into these kids heads as well.

I can say this, I will continue to support this program, this coach, and these players as long as they are there, and I'm not going to complain about it if they don't win the big one, because I know it means far more to them then it ever would me. I have my entire life to root and cheer for a championship, and it will feel the same whether it's next year, or ten years from now. They only have four to get it done. My heart breaks for Pattyn especially, you can see through his actions and words how much this program means to him. How much these players and the staff that supports them means to him, and this is quite likely the end of the road for his playing career.

Sounds like you are the one doing all of the sniveling here. 

Quit being a Sioux fan if you're so "disappointed" in being one. 

Sounds like you are the one doing all of the sniveling here.

Quit being a Sioux fan if you're so "disappointed" in being one.

Not disappointed in the team at all. Played their asses off. In ashamed of jack wagons like yourself.

• Upvote 3

Not disappointed in the team at all. Played their asses off. In ashamed of jack wagons like yourself.

You're ashamed of being a Sioux Fan right now because anonymous people on a message board are upset the UND hockey coach hasn't been to a championship game in ten years?

Sorry man.

You're ashamed of being a Sioux Fan because anonymous people on a message board are upset the UND hockey coach hasn't been to a championship game in ten years?

Sorry man.

Ashamed of the mentality, and the fact that it's clearly getting back to the players. Kristo's tweet, Pattyn's farewell. They are obviously hearing it, and that's why I'm ashamed. We can talk on the message board and berate each other, it crosses a line when it starts to affect the players. In my opinion.

I get the frustration, everyone wants a title, but I'm not willing to completely upset the apple cart to do it. Because at the end of the day, firing Hakstol might indeed do it. You guys talk about the program being a Ferrari and anyone can make it go. That's simply not true. The early 90's are a prime example. You're looking at six, seven years of .500 teams. Let's say you replace Hak. The team goes .500 for three years with no sniff of a tournament. Then what? Fire that coach? Then possibly go another three or four years? Now it's possibly affecting recruiting. Now all of a sudden a once proud tradition is possibly turning into Mississippi football.

Then what? Facilities alone don't bring recruits, and the atmosphere that gives guys the chills now is gone.

I guess at the end of the day, I'm not giving up the bird in my hand for two in the bush.

I think that's more of frustration of people on twitter (and probably Facebook too). I'm sure there's some crossover. But I think its also a different demographic. Younger folks on da twitter (And a lot aren't anonymous).

The hockey players are also on twitter that people can tweet at. They aren't openly on SiouxSports.

*I'm not on twitter. But you can still read all the #Chokstal.

Exactly. What a sad sad person.

Actually, I'm going to take the troll bait. You know what's sad? A poster that shows up on the site to only sell tickets, much of the time for a considerable markup, and berate the athletics in the university. I just checked every post of yours over the last year, and you've said nothing positive about the hockey team, coaching staff, athletic department or any of the other sports teams.

You sir, are the sad, sad person.

I think that's more of frustration of people on twitter. I'm sure there's some crossover. But I think its also a different demographic. Younger folks on da twitter.

The hockey players are also on twitter that people can tweet at. They aren't openly on SiouxSports.

*I'm not on twitter.

You're probably right, but the point remains valid just the same. They're hearing it. Again, it's one thing for the coaching staff to hear it, they're paid to deal with it, it's another for the players to have to deal with.

A link to Goon's Blog posts about #firehakstol (Good Laugh) tweets.

http://goonsworldblog.com/2015-archives/the-annual-firehakstol-tweets-if-you-need-a-good-laugh.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-annual-firehakstol-tweets-if-you-need-a-good-laugh

And because I was browsing twitter thanks to Goon's link (from this sites front page). Someone posted this on twitter:

http://www.firehakstol.com

i guess you are missing the point being that maybe hak plays it to close to the vest and doesn't allow his players to use their god given talents...maybe schmaltz has been yelled at one too many times in practice to stay here, don't go there, do your job and don't mess up.....watch the video...there is fifteen seconds or ten seconds left in the game/season and he looked like he was posing for a picture back there...

Exactly, you don't know what's been said. Pretty sure Hak gets the most out of each player, how many were walk ons and turned into scholarship players? At some point you need to hold the players to the same standard as Hak, that's why it's called a team game.

Wow I wonder what some of these people do for a living and do their bosses hold them to such high standards, you sell the most cars this year or your done. Seems like unreasonable expectations to me. Hakstol is a awesome recruiter, great regular season coach and a stalwart for fighting Sioux tradition. Like a previous poster said he changed from big physical D man to puck moving offensive D men so he shows he can change. Maybe the next step is to change his offensive strategy and go to a more creative system which might lead to some losses in the regular season might more productive in the one and done format. I have had regular season tickets since 1984 and will keep them till I can't go to games anymore so I have seen good and bad from the Sioux, my wife hates it when the Sioux lose because my attitude sucks and she doesn't quite understand the investment fans make in their teams, emotionally or otherwise. The sun comes up the next day regardless but players like Pattyn spent four season plus off seasons grinding it out through practices, injuries etc and for them to fall short is way worse then us fans having to take another semifinal loss. Hak is still young shows he is willing to change and I will be sitting in my seats come October hoping to see my team win the last game of the year and if they don't I will be back again supporting my team.

John Fox was fired after leading his team to a Super Bowl and NFCCG in back to back seasons. 

Why?  Because he couldn't close the deal!  And in Denver it's Superbowl or bust.   Not too crazy to expect the same with arguably the best college hockey team in the nation year in and year out. 

We should be in the frozen four.  Too much talent year after year not to be in it.  Like someone else said...most of us could have gotten some of these teams to the frozen four.  Time to hire someone who can WIN one.

Did the jon fox thing work out for the program?

Interesting, passionate....and winded.....points of view here by some.

Breaking this whole conversation down into its simplest form is........the elephant in the room puts on a couple hundred pounds every year that passes without a NC. To not recognize that is not understanding this programs tradition, expectations or its fan base.

We should be in the frozen four. Too much talent year after year not to be in it. Like someone else said...most of us could have gotten some of these teams to the frozen four.

Most of "us" could have gotten some of these teams to the Frozen Four? Surely, you can't be serious. Most of the armchair hockey coaches here would have lost the team right after the 12 hour bag-skate that they ordered held at REA immediately following the 5-1 season-opening loss to Bemidji State!

• Upvote 2