SiouxSports.com Forum

Closing in on Epic Title Drought

Benny Baker

not saying that muss got a raw deal but if you talk to people that know intercollegiate sports they know that it takes $$$$$$$ to gets thing done...there is a spending war amonst schools for all sports...muss had guys that last couple of years that should have been graduate assistants as assistant head coaches and o and d coordinators...what we were expecting the results to be...on the ohter hand hak doesn't have that problem...he has every resource at his disposal yet he can't get some more blue chippers and maybe figure out that dump and chase and cycling just have a weak ass shot hit a "hot goalie" in the chest with no rebounds is not gonna get it done and the natinal tourney... but hey at least we are out shooting these teams we are losing to in the semi's??

Who do you consider the blue chippers because Hak has landed a number of them and there are more coming in next season? They created a number of chances off the rush as well as through the cycle game and had some real good shots last night. There isn't a lot I would have changed about the style of game we played last night aside from about 10 minutes in the 1st period.

not saying that muss got a raw deal but if you talk to people that know intercollegiate sports they know that it takes $$$$$$$ to gets thing done...there is a spending war amonst schools for all sports...muss had guys that last couple of years that should have been graduate assistants as assistant head coaches and o and d coordinators...what we were expecting the results to be...on the ohter hand hak doesn't have that problem...he has every resource at his disposal yet he can't get some more blue chippers and maybe figure out that dump and chase and cycling just have a weak ass shot hit a "hot goalie" in the chest with no rebounds is not gonna get it done and the natinal tourney... but hey at least we are out shooting these teams we are losing to in the semi's??

He doesn't have that problem because his teams consistently perform at a high level each year, thus the influx of money towards the hockey program. Remember, it costs a lot of have hockey and to have that building and if UND does not churn out a consistent winner each year, there will be less and less fans showing up. Chances are you wont show up to the Ralph to watch UND play if they are on a 8 game losing streak. But its okay, they won a title 5 years ago so they can suck for awhile...

He doesn't have that problem because his teams consistently perform at a high level each year, thus the influx of money towards the hockey program. Remember, it costs a lot of have hockey and to have that building and if UND does not churn out a consistent winner each year, there will be less and less fans showing up. Chances are you wont show up to the Ralph to watch UND play if they are on a 8 game losing streak. But its okay, they won a title 5 years ago so they can suck for awhile...

just like if you ask random ndac football fans which football conference they are in you will responses that range from NCC, Horizon, Summit, Gateway, and Big 12 because they are just there regardless....ask a lot of und hockey fans before a game and ask what rank in the nchc or national poll they are and you will get a lot of blank looks...REA will sell out pretty much every night for the rest of time no matter what product is put our there...regardless of record.

You got me confused with somebody else, never said a word about recruiting.  But I know that Terry did fire him because the program wasn't winning.

Terry Wanless didn't care about hockey. He was one of the early breed of Athletic Directors that wanted to be Top Dog. 

It's been 20 years since UND mens basketball won a regular season conference championship.  You want to talk title droughts, it is much worse for other sports at UND.  #hockeyproblems :)

This brings up another frustration - the overall state of Sioux athletics - dumpster fire in men's BB, Football digging themselves out of a 10 year Musshole, approaching the longest hockey title drought in history.  Why aren't we competitive?  However, comparing Sioux hockey to the men's basketball program lately is nonsense and you should know it.  

• Upvote 1

That's 1984-85 thru 2003-2004. Sorry, but having attended UND from 1988-1992 and having seen home games in the 1993-1995 time span, I'd hardly say I was witnessing the "flat out best team in college hockey" over a good 7 years of that stretch you're throwing out there.

So my math was off a few years.  From 1980 to 2000 we won 5 - count em - 5 National Championships  About one every 4 years - no other program came close. So yes, the best program in college hockey pretty much through the Gino and Blais years.    Did we have some down years - yes, but not very many and when Hak took over we were at the top of our game - no rebuilding for him.  

Can everyone that would like to see Hak fired before next season starts please say "aye"?

Many of us don't want him fired, but we do want him to win one - getting pretty frustrated with so many Frozen Four failures.  So far, Hak = Woog.  If there are adjustments to make we want him to be flexible.  

honest question...let's say hak keeps winning 70-75 % of his games but doesn't win a national title...how long would you be comfortable before making a change....5 years...ten years...20?

The question should be "How can I help?"

I keep thinking of the BU pre game speech and wondering what UND's was like. Maybe a speech writer / sports shrink / motivational speaker could help things?

We just need to tweak the machine, not burn it down, what tweak is the million dollar question

Many of us don't want him fired, but we do want him to win one - getting pretty frustrated with so many Frozen Four failures.  So far, Hak = Woog.  If there are adjustments to make we want him to be flexible.  

NEWS FLASH: Every single freakin fan wants him to get one! I damn near wanted to break my 65" TV out of frustration at the game last night.

Now once again, Who would like to see Hakstol canned before the start of next season? Please identify yourselves.

NEWS FLASH: Every single freakin fan wants him to get one! I damn near wanted to break my 65" TV out of frustration at the game last night.

Now once again, Who would like to see Hakstol canned before the start of next season? Please identify yourselves.

Not me. I want another frozie.

So my math was off a few years.  From 1980 to 2000 we won 5 - count em - 5 National Championships  About one every 4 years - no other program came close. So yes, the best program in college hockey pretty much through the Gino and Blais years.    Did we have some down years - yes, but not very many and when Hak took over we were at the top of our game - no rebuilding for him.  

man you just don't know hockey....1948-1964 Michigan wolverians won 7 titles. so your theory of no program not coming close is wrong. You also keep forgetting about the years before the 80's, mostly the 40 years and winning only 2 titles.

When Hak took over we were at the top of our game? Did we not lose (Parise freshman year) to Ferris State and the following year lose in the regional to Denver?

We all want to win one and yes, as a fan base we are frustrated but its not like Hak has turned the program into a complete dumpster fire....

Someone FINALLY admits it!

#Natty'sDon'tMatter

That was douchey. I was referring to all of the people on here asking for him to be fired. It doesn't matter what they think, or any of us for that matter. But thanks for trying to fit your agenda. Cute.

Woog 

14 Seasons 

390 Wins

188 Loses

40 Ties

.663 Win%

6 FFs

1-6 Record

Hakstol

289 Wins

143 Loses

43 Ties

.654 Win%

7 FFs

1-7 Record

**Woog was fired after 2 sub .500 seasons and Lucia came in to replace him. Lucia won 2 NCAAs in his 3rd and 4th seasons. 

I'm not saying fire Hak, since I still believe he could go on a roll if he breaks through once. The team has also played much better the last 3 games in the FF and has not gotten "puck luck". That being said he goes below .500 for a couple of years and he could be gone. Also the Gopher hockey program has not suffered because they let a good coach go and they did win 2 NCAAs with the replacement for Woog. 

Another team to watch is Denver. They fired a great coach in Gwoz and were very good in their first year with Montgomery. Let's see where they end up the next few years. 

What I'm saying is that Hak is a good coach, but not great (at least yet). He shouldn't be fired, but isn't untouchable either. I would say that you can compare UND more closely to Minnesota and Denver then a program like Duluth or Michigan State. 

Scarlet letter time... Line up boys and girls lol

That was douchey. I was referring to all of the people on here asking for him to be fired. It doesn't matter what they think, or any of us for that matter. But thanks for trying to fit your agenda. Cute.

I understood what you meant.

Fair question....If he's had a run like the last 11 I would be fine with him staying there as I believe he will get one if UND is consistently there. I follow that up with a question to you. What team's success would you rather have below going back 11 years?

Duluth

1 national title

5 NCAA tourneys

2 Frozen Fours

1 Conference Tourney Title

UND

0 national titles

12 NCAA tourneys

7 Frozen Fours

4 Conference Tourney titles

I would rather be in the NCAA tourney every single year and the Frozen four 7 out of 12 years with a chance to win it than be what Duluth has been with one title and only 5 NCAA trips. Even if Hak had a title but only made the NCAAs 5-12 years I would think he should be gone. Instead he has 0 titles, but he consistently has his team in a spot to win.

You might answer that by saying look at all Haks resources, well I would argue Duluth's are just as good. A facility that is almost as nice as the ralph, a great city to recruit to, only 2 hours from the Twin Cities, nice campus, great tradition, etc. Duluth is a top ten job in college hockey in my mind and they have been to the NCAAs 5 out of 12 years and 2 frozen fours.

At this point in my UND fandom i've seen it all...I've seen National Hockey Titles and I'm just fine where Hak has the program. I think UND fans should be putting more time and effort to getting Bubba in the FCS playoffs and getting our MBB team to the big dance. Those are things I haven't seen that i want to. Hak and the Men's hockey program are the least of my worries.

What? Duluth top 5 hockey college? Their facility is the same as the Ralph? Hmmm?

Woog 

14 Seasons 

390 Wins

188 Loses

40 Ties

.663 Win%

6 FFs

1-6 Record

Hakstol

289 Wins

143 Loses

43 Ties

.654 Win%

7 FFs

1-7 Record

**Woog was fired after 2 sub .500 seasons and Lucia came in to replace him. Lucia won 2 NCAAs in his 3rd and 4th seasons. 

I'm not saying fire Hak, since I still believe he could go on a roll if he breaks through once. The team has also played much better the last 3 games in the FF and has not gotten "puck luck". That being said he goes below .500 for a couple of years and he could be gone. Also the Gopher hockey program has not suffered because they let a good coach go and they did win 2 NCAAs with the replacement for Woog. 

Another team to watch is Denver. They fired a great coach in Gwoz and were very good in their first year with Montgomery. Let's see where they end up the next few years. 

What I'm saying is that Hak is a good coach, but not great (at least yet). He shouldn't be fired, but isn't untouchable either. I would say that you can compare UND more closely to Minnesota and Denver then a program like Duluth or Michigan State. 

Of course Hak isn't untouchable, he has to start turning in below .500 season for him to be fired. The all mighty question that no one has ever seem to answer, who do you get you replace him and why are they a good fit? Don't give me an answer like "he has won a title" because Larry Coker has won a title too(watch ESPN's 30 for 30 on "THE U" if you don't understand the reference)....