SiouxSports.com Forum

Closing in on Epic Title Drought

Benny Baker

i haven't mentioned gino or dean in any of my posts....they both won lots of games and national championships with far far less than what was handed to hak and i respect them for that...here is a question for ya...If ralph was alive today do you think that hak would be coach after these last 11 years??

40 years from now, will some folks STILL be asking what Ralph Engelstad would want if he were alive? Good grief.

• Upvote 1

If Jack Eichel had been wearing a North Dakota jersey this season, odds are Brian Jones could have had them playing in tomorrow night's game.On the flip-side, if Eichel or even Rodrigues takes a puck to a kneecap in the last game of the regular season, does Quinn still get BU to the Frozen Four?

If only UND had Toews and Oshie on the same team...oh nevermind.

If only UND had Toews and Oshie on the same team...oh nevermind.

Chris Collins, Brian Boyle, Nathan Gerbe, Stephen Gionta, Cory Schneider...yea, those 2006 and 2007 BC teams had some real scrubs on their roster, didn't they?

Hak wasn't "handed" anything. He was given a very difficult job with plenty of pressure and plenty of support.

Maybe I'm getting old or maybe I don't like people who hide behind a blog and call for someone's head when they themselves don't have a stake in this program other than to tell Gopher fans we won 8 and they only have 5 or whatever they have.

When Ralph made his announcement that he was donating $100,000,000 there were a handful of people invited to a meeting room at Hyslop after the ceremony. Ralph was there. I was there. Where tf were you and don't pretend you have the faintest f'ing idea what Ralph would say or do. Ralph would give Hakstol and his staff a cocktail and tell them they did a great job and keep it up. He would tell them he appreciated the effort. He would tell Hak he prepared well and did a hell of a job. He would probably tell a story of one of his failures and how there were dumb asses in his life who had no faith in him or his dreams and ideas. He would tell Hak don't worry about the pissants he has his back. Then he would light up a cigarette and have another cocktail. Then he would say "Dave is there anything else I can do to help?". He would never do the chickenshit stuff you and a couple of other Pee Wee B guys are doing right after a game when these guys laid it in the line for you and I as fans but mostly for each other and the traditional of this school and program. Ralph would throw your sorry ass out of the room. Hakstol would still be coach cuz Ralph understood as well as anyone that in the end the road to success has ups and downs and you don't let the failures or setbacks keep you form accomplishing your goals. He would measure a man like an old soldier does. He could go to war with Hak. You sir, would not be in that band of brothers. Knock off your whiney I deserve a Natty and we haven't won won since Dean bull$%!# and do some self reflection as to why you have never been nor ever will be one that people would go to war with. The moderators may boot me but they allow you to say dumb ass stuff about others and they should. But then you need to accept that the overwhelming majority of people with an IQ above 80 and or know something about hockey are tired of your shtick.

Well done.  This post tops your earlier post, and that was one of the best in a long time on this forum.

This board is too damn funny. 

Just sooooooo many BLIND homers.  And that's fine if you want to be that way, but to be arrogant and stupid enough to chastise those of us with CHAMPIONSHIP EXPECTATIONS is just ridiculous. 

Only on Sioux sports would someone bring up "but our basketball team hasn't won anything in 20 years!  THAT'S a REAL drought!"  The other classic on this board?  Those who are silly enough to throw out puke like , "what would you rather have, a title and 20 bad years after that or being in it every year?!"   So........those are the only two choices? 

How about the choice of having a last 15 years like BC........DENVER.........or dare I say it.....MINNESOTA?  Because I'd certainly take all three of their last 15 years over ours.  Those of you who are leaping for joy about winning sooo many Broadmoors, Mcnaughtsons, Penrose, Regionals, etc, etc......may be happy with just "being there", but THIS PROGRAM has wayyyyy to much tradition to be happy with just 'BEING THERE."    And excuse us....but some of us are getting sick and damn tired of the constant FAILURE of this team. 

The basketball comparison is the best.  Here's a concept.   Schools usually have what is called a FLAGSHIP program  You know....Duke has Basketball.....Alabama has Football......and guess...what.....we have HOCKEY.   Do you think Alabama compares there baseball team to their football team?  Exactly..it's just as asinine to compare our hockey team to our basketball team. 

There is a certain school down south about 80 miles that has a flag ship program.  How do they do?  Oh yeah....they WIN every damn year.....step UP when the pressure is high.....and CLOSE out games with CLUTCH play.  Excuse those of us who expect the SAME DAMN THING out of our FLAGSHIP program. 

Another great line from the peanut gallery......"we are spoiled!"   Really?  Choking our butts off on the big stage YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR is spoiled?  Huh....and here I thought NDSU fans were the SPOILED ones.  I forgot our definition of spoiled is 'BEING THERE!" 

Whatever....those of you who are happy having the chance to play for a title every year and are 100% completely satisfied with that can feel free to do so.  But stop being jagoffs and throwing out the "holier than thou" crap of those of us who are such 'BAD FANS" for wanting some damn RESULTS when it matters from our alma matter's flagship program that has the finest facilities in the entire COUNTRY and has had arguably the BEST PLAYERS come through its doors the last 15 years on the planet as well. 

Should Hak be fired?  I don't know, probably not.  But if we keep choking our ass off every year, does it really matter who the coach is?  I could coach the team to earning NOTHING in the frozen four year after year.  Wait.......I couldn't even get us to the FF you say?  You're right...my bad.  But tell me this..what does the team who goes to the FF and loses every year get that the teams who don't even make the tournament don't?   Oh yeah...they get to break the hearts of their fans every damn year. 

We need a change.  Whether it's recruiting different players, adjusting to a different style, changing our philosophy, or yes........changing coaches.....SOMETHING needs to change.  This is getting DISGUSTING.   Meanwhile...the fn clowns down south get to go for "ONE FOR THE THUMB" next year for "their school's sport".    I wouldn't mind just ONE of those rings under Hak.   Just........O.....N......E.  

If that makes me any lesser of a fan then so be it.  But I'll tell you this.....I invest thousands.......THOUSANDS of dollars in this program each year   I invest countless hours.  I've lost sleep over them.  I've raised my kids into Sioux fans.   I love them with all of my heart.  And yes.....I have expectations that include winning a damn title once in 15 years.     So if this means I'm "a bad fan who would throw my team under the bus for a title", than I'm G-Damn proud to be a "bad fan." 

GO SIOUX!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

i haven't mentioned gino or dean in any of my posts....they both won lots of games and national championships with far far less than what was handed to hak and i respect them for that...here is a question for ya...If ralph was alive today do you think that hak would be coach after these last 11 years??

You talk like Hak was handed a team that had 6 national championships in a row. What was Hak really "handed" to him? A team Blais couldn't even get out of the regionals?

If ralph was alive today he would do two things: first he would probably raise all sorts of hell with the NCAA, the University and the state of North Dakota. Secondly, he would shake Hak's hand for keeping that logo around and teaching the history of the FIGHTING SIOUX to all the incoming players....

Hak wasn't "handed" anything. He was given a very difficult job with plenty of pressure and plenty of support.

Maybe I'm getting old or maybe I don't like people who hide behind a blog and call for someone's head when they themselves don't have a stake in this program other than to tell Gopher fans we won 8 and they only have 5 or whatever they have.

When Ralph made his announcement that he was donating $100,000,000 there were a handful of people invited to a meeting room at Hyslop after the ceremony. Ralph was there. I was there. Where tf were you and don't pretend you have the faintest f'ing idea what Ralph would say or do. Ralph would give Hakstol and his staff a cocktail and tell them they did a great job and keep it up. He would tell them he appreciated the effort. He would tell Hak he prepared well and did a hell of a job. He would probably tell a story of one of his failures and how there were dumb asses in his life who had no faith in him or his dreams and ideas. He would tell Hak don't worry about the pissants he has his back. Then he would light up a cigarette and have another cocktail. Then he would say "Dave is there anything else I can do to help?". He would never do the chickenshit stuff you and a couple of other Pee Wee B guys are doing right after a game when these guys laid it in the line for you and I as fans but mostly for each other and the traditional of this school and program. Ralph would throw your sorry ass out of the room. Hakstol would still be coach cuz Ralph understood as well as anyone that in the end the road to success has ups and downs and you don't let the failures or setbacks keep you form accomplishing your goals. He would measure a man like an old soldier does. He could go to war with Hak. You sir, would not be in that band of brothers. Knock off your whiney I deserve a Natty and we haven't won won since Dean bull$%!# and do some self reflection as to why you have never been nor ever will be one that people would go to war with. The moderators may boot me but they allow you to say dumb ass stuff about others and they should. But then you need to accept that the overwhelming majority of people with an IQ above 80 and or know something about hockey are tired of your shtick.

Was gfhockey in this meeting?

All things aside, well post and I would've loved to been in a meeting like that with Ralph, talk about a guy who knows about failures and success and having nothing handed to him!

BU could very well lose tomorrow night with Eichel in the lineup, yes. John Gillies is no slouch in goal for PC.

Since the Hobey Baker winner has only played on the national champions 5 times out of 35 years of the award, BU could definitely lose tomorrow.  The Hobey Baker winner has also played on 5 runners-up.

Just sooooooo many BLIND homers.  And that's fine if you want to be that way, but to be arrogant and stupid enough to chastise those of us with CHAMPIONSHIP EXPECTATIONS is just ridiculous. 

Only on Sioux sports would someone bring up "but our basketball team hasn't won anything in 20 years!  THAT'S a REAL drought!"  The other classic on this board?  Those who are silly enough to throw out puke like , "what would you rather have, a title and 20 bad years after that or being in it every year?!"   So........those are the only two choices? 

How about the choice of having a last 15 years like BC........DENVER.........or dare I say it.....MINNESOTA?  Because I'd certainly take all three of their last 15 years over ours.  Those of you who are leaping for joy about winning sooo many Broadmoors, Mcnaughtsons, Penrose, Regionals, etc, etc......may be happy with just "being there", but THIS PROGRAM has wayyyyy to much tradition to be happy with just 'BEING THERE."    And excuse us....but some of us are getting sick and damn tired of the constant FAILURE of this team. 

The basketball comparison is the best.  Here's a concept.   Schools usually have what is called a FLAGSHIP program  You know....Duke has Basketball.....Alabama has Football......and guess...what.....we have HOCKEY.   Do you think Alabama compares there baseball team to their football team?  Exactly..it's just as asinine to compare our hockey team to our basketball team. 

There is a certain school down south about 80 miles that has a flag ship program.  How do they do?  Oh yeah....they WIN every damn year.....step UP when the pressure is high.....and CLOSE out games with CLUTCH play.  Excuse those of us who expect the SAME DAMN THING out of our FLAGSHIP program. 

Another great line from the peanut gallery......"we are spoiled!"   Really?  Choking our butts off on the big stage YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR is spoiled?  Huh....and here I thought NDSU fans were the SPOILED ones.  I forgot our definition of spoiled is 'BEING THERE!" 

Whatever....those of you who are happy having the chance to play for a title every year and are 100% completely satisfied with that can feel free to do so.  But stop being jagoffs and throwing out the "holier than thou" crap of those of us who are such 'BAD FANS" for wanting some damn RESULTS when it matters from our alma matter's flagship program that has the finest facilities in the entire COUNTRY and has had arguably the BEST PLAYERS come through its doors the last 15 years on the planet as well. 

Should Hak be fired?  I don't know, probably not.  But if we keep choking our ass off every year, does it really matter who the coach is?  I could coach the team to earning NOTHING in the frozen four year after year.  Wait.......I couldn't even get us to the FF you say?  You're right...my bad.  But tell me this..what does the team who goes to the FF and loses every year get that the teams who don't even make the tournament don't?   Oh yeah...they get to break the hearts of their fans every damn year. 

We need a change.  Whether it's recruiting different players, adjusting to a different style, changing our philosophy, or yes........changing coaches.....SOMETHING needs to change.  This is getting DISGUSTING.   Meanwhile...the fn clowns down south get to go for "ONE FOR THE THUMB" next year for "their school's sport".    I wouldn't mind just ONE of those rings under Hak.   Just........O.....N......E.  

If that makes me any lesser of a fan then so be it.  But I'll tell you this.....I invest thousands.......THOUSANDS of dollars in this program each year   I invest countless hours.  I've lost sleep over them.  I've raised my kids into Sioux fans.   I love them with all of my heart.  And yes.....I have expectations that include winning a damn title once in 15 years.     So if this means I'm "a bad fan who would throw my team under the bus for a title", than I'm G-Damn proud to be a "bad fan." 

GO SIOUX!

Ladies and gentleman, we have a good bingo!

Excellent post

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A couple of things I noted last night. The Sioux came out fast and sharp. Their passes for the most part were stick to stick. They aggressively brought the puck out of our zone and certainly played with BU the whole game except for the second have of first, the second and the parts of third when we dominated the play. Our kids busted the asses all night. Even after the fans quit, the team didn't. That is one of the key things in evaluating a coach. These kids never quit. When Zane wasn't having his best game, no one on the team did anything but play harder. The penalty on Poolman where he barely hit the BU guy was bogus. It led to a power play goal. These kids were well prepared. Dumped the puck when they needed to, tried to bring I across blue line when they could. I realize some of you experts who played 4th line on your Bantam B team when you were 10th graders think a coaching change should be made but if so, it isn't cuz we were out coached or not ready.

A number of you geniuses whine when anyone sticks up for this coach or staff. The only reply is that anyone who disagrees with you or dares criticize is a Hak lover or doesn't want a "natty". One of you even suggested he isn't flexible or he is too business like or he should tell the guys to just have fun. You know what goes on cuz your friend had a beer with someone who knows .

"I want to win one". This " fan base settles" for less than a title cuz they won't fire the coach. "I will never accept it". One insinuates Hak needs more time to figure it out.

Listen Sparkies, none of you geniuses have ever once explained how your esteemed opinions of a subject you have demonstrated you know little about cuz you have never been in the locker room means more than the opinions of all the players present and former who have played for Hak, and Dean, guys in the NHL and minors, guys coaching in college and the pros. Every single one of those guys to a person understand what it takes to get to the college level and play for championships and they have nothing but respect for Hakstol. They think you guys are douchebags. I believe if I read correctly one of you were smart enough to inadvertently admit it in a previous post.

I doubt that other than your game for 4th place in your PeeWee B tourney that you have had to buckle up and lay it on the line. If you did you might have some insight on the leadership and coaching talent it took to keep this team from giving up when we were down 4-1. Our self proclaimed best fans in the world quit on this team but the coaches and players didn't quit. That's what you look for in a coach. He and is staff recruit the mentor, they teach and they win. The National Title will come. I've been watching them for 45 years. Wg have the staff in place to get this done.

This isn't about you and your life should be no different today than yesterday. It would have been great to see the guys and their coaches rewarded for their hard work and effort. What we get is to say we support the team that played and they are the ones who won or lost. You guys didn't lose squat and you wouldn't have won squat. The coaches and players win and lose.

Lastly I'll comment about a couple of fans. One couple with their baby girl drove to MSP to fly out of their when the flights out of Fargo were delayed and canceled. Another chartered a private jet and then let other Sioux fans ride along in the other seats. They would not take any money to help pay. Another despite a traumatic brain injury that kept him hospitalized for months flew in by himself cuz he couldn't make last years when he lay comatose for 11 days fighting for his life. These folks and the majority are Sioux fans who appreciated the effort and excellent play and coaching of this team. We expect to win National titles. If the team and coaches stop putting forth their best effort and can't be competitive then the former coaches,former players and fans who have an understanding of the pride and effort these kids and staff have put forth on behalf or all of us fans, our University, the state of North Dakota will affect the necessary changes. You geniuses that have never had to "knock on wood", or face a bullet or make a save or shot in front of 20,000 people can then take credit and say you knew it all along. You don't need to be a Hak lover to see, this was a well coached team and they had a great year. We has fans had the opportunity to come along for the ride. Go Sioux.

I don't like to quote long posts, but I'll make an exception for this one.  **Thank you** for putting into words what so many of us feel.  We should trot this out whenever it's needed.

The amazing thing about the run of success is that times have indeed changed, and those slow to adapt have been punished.  When even MN, Wisconsin, Michigan, BU and Maine have suffered significant down periods, you know something has happened to player development and recruiting.  Only two schools have not dipped in this period, UND and BC, and while BC has certainly been king for a while, even they missed the NCAAs once.  In addition, BU's resurgence has put a dent in BC's recruiting pipeline, so we'll see if they keep the magic run going. 

My point is that as much as UND's coaches get accused of being wedded to their systems, they've actually changed a ton.  Much like ten years ago, this team was driven by a great defensive corps.  Utterly unlike ten years ago, this group of defensemen skate, move the puck, and don't destroy guys.  Both teams were built for their era and succeeded.  News flash: the other NCAA hockey teams are led by motivated guys near the top of their field who hate to lose, and are filled with exceptional athletes who want to win more than anything.  To consistently beat those other teams requires innovation and a willingness to change.  Witness UND's offense, with defensemen involved not only in rushes and from the point, but actively joining a cycle to keep possession.  That just didn't happen ten years ago.

What's most amazing is they've managed to maintain UND's trademark grit and aggressive forecheck as they've transitioned to a less physical team taking fewer penalties.

Looking forward to upcoming years.

GO SIOUX!

For a person who "supports" thousands and thousands of dollars into the program they should know that the University gets more money by going deeper into the post season than not making the post season. 

Wanless was the best AD UND has had in my memory and it really isn't close. Budget was in-line and other sports than hockey actually won. And they won ALOT. Oh yah, hockey came out of the gutter under his watch after he hired Blais and won a national championship. .

Wanless had the stones to tell the coaches NO on things and they didn't like it. Once he left, they wanted him back real quick.

This is so true. UND was high in the all sports standings nearly every year under Wanless.

You talk like Hak was handed a team that had 6 national championships in a row. What was Hak really "handed" to him? A team Blais couldn't even get out of the regionals?

Hakstol inherited a team that lost the previous year to the eventual champs by one goal in the tournament.

For a person who "supports" thousands and thousands of dollars into the program they should know that the University gets more money by going deeper into the post season than not making the post season. 

It also is a lot easier to land high end recruits when you are making the Frozen Four very often and getting to the NCAA tournament every year I would have thought a guy  who "invests" so much into the program would realize that too.

once again i haven't brought up dean or gino in my posts..they are gone and aren't coming back...and secondly ralph built his building to win National Titles not wcha, penrose, or final five titles and participation awards that are so popular now.  No f'ing way after the michigan game a couple years ago would he have said good job hak get em next year...no way.   And maybe you are too close to program to where you can't see that something is wrong with the hockey program and something needs to change.

• Upvote 1

GO SIOUX!

Comparing NDSU football and UND hockey doesn't make a whole lot of sense either NDSU football doesn't play at the top NCAA level of their sport while UND hockey does.

That's your reply to his post?  Pretty weak

I think you may have proved his point a bit....sorry man. 

once again i haven't brought up dean or gino in my posts..they are gone and aren't coming back...and secondly ralph built his building to win National Titles not wcha, penrose, or final five titles and participation awards that are so popular now.  No f'ing way after the michigan game a couple years ago would he have said good job hak get em next year...no way.   And maybe you are too close to program to where you can't see that something is wrong with the hockey program and something needs to change.

You mean the Michigan game that we completely dominated and controlled what would have been the coaching adjustment you would have made in that game?