SiouxSports.com Forum

Closing in on Epic Title Drought

Benny Baker

40 teams playing NCAA Division 1 hockey in 1982 seems a bit high ... I would have said about 30 (guess:   10 WCHA + 6 CCHA + 12 ECAC + 2 independents).    If you have a source, I'd love to see it.   .... as I have been wondering the same thing.

Another important factor is the founding of Hockey East in the mid 1980's.   Until then, the ECAC was the only D1 hockey conference ... and abided by more restrictive rules than NCAA limits allowed on # games and length of season.    This led to recruiting disadvantages ... and a dominant run by Western schools.   

So until 1985, a Western school had its toughest run just to get to the conference semifinals ... and then got cupcakes from out east in the first round of the Frozen Four.   (1982: UND 6 Northeastern 0 in the national semifinals, for example).

Once Hockey East was founded, there emerged a strong competitive differential over time compared to the remnants of ECAC ... including a lot of national titles - Maine and BU in the 1990's and BC more recently.

The ECAC actually had 17 teams in 1981-82.  http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/ecac19671982.html

Strangely enough the WCHA was the small league that year, with only 6 teams.  The CCHA had 11.  Then there were a handful of independents that I recall (Alaska schools?, Northern Arizona University, maybe Air Force and Army, US international? :0 )

This could be an interesting read...? May start some arguments on here though!

Check out @JessRMyers's Tweet: https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/598325964242747393?s=09

Year: Champ, Runner-Up, Semifinalists

2009: BU, Miami, Vermont, Bemidji State

2010: BC, Wisconsin, Miami, RIT

2011: UMD, Michigan, UND, Notre Dame

2012: BC, Ferris State, Minnesota, Union

2013: Yale, Quinnipiac, St. Cloud, UMass-Lowell

2014: Union, Minnesota, UND, BC

2015: Providence, BU, UND, Omaha

Most appearances in that window: UND 3, BC 3, BU 2,  Miami 2, Union 2, Minnesota 2, remainder had one each

Teams appearing in successive years: UND, Miami

I'm pretty sure Myers picked that window because UND appeared in 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008. 

• 10 months later...
On 4/13/2015 at 4:33 PM, siouxfan512 said:

Right, but who fills his spot if Hak gets fired. The argument is pointless, unless you have someone who is going to produce better.

On 4/13/2015 at 4:25 PM, siouxfan512 said:

For all of the haters, if you want to replace Hakstol. Name a better coach?

download.jpg

:D  One more game!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

download.jpg

You do remember that Hakstol made it to the Championship game in his first season too, right?
Should wait until after Saturday night to bring back old threads from the dead.  :)

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, brianvf said:

You do remember that Hakstol made it to the Championship game in his first season too, right?
Should wait until after Saturday night to bring back old threads from the dead.  :)

No, I went ahead and did it now.  He already did something that hadn't been done in 11 years.  Seemed appropriate to me.

3 hours ago, brianvf said:

You should've added something else to the end of that....

7 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

You should've added something else to the end of that....

I'd say regardless of tomorrow night's outcome, old threads like this will either be joyously closed out or angrily rehashed.  :)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UND1983 said:

download.jpg

I'm sure you were calling for Berry to be the coach last year too ....don't forget Hak was in this same game in his first season.

Bottom line, we have had many many consecutive years of elite coaching.