SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Faceoff at the the Falls?

Siouxperfan7

1. The average distance from each school may be similar, but the distance from the fan population centers is way worse. The twin cities is FULL of fans from many of the NCHC schools esp UND, Cloud and UMD. Think these fans want to drive 6 hours for something that has been in their backyard for over 20 years? Also, both Colorado schools have low attendance numbers even for their home games. Those people aren't driving 7 hours in mass for this tourney. Most Denver fans you see at it now are from the Twin Cities.

2. Yes, a smaller arena could host it, but how many people would they draw to the twin cities if Duluth, UND and Cloud all made the tourney next year? Far more than this year.

3. The issues at TC with the boards can be fixed. The ice can be fixed. I expect these issues to be rectified by next year. They already fixed the wrist band issue on the 2nd day of the tourney.

4. Sioux Falls doesn't hold a candle to the twin cities in terms of things to do, places to eat, hotels, museums, etc. 'No other teams playing in town' What does that matter? It was awesome that people could go to the Wild game in the afternoon if they wanted this year. Having nothing else to do is a plus? Sioux Falls is boring as hell. Who cares if 'people are talking about it'.. How would that help anyone?

Wouldn't mind going somewhere that appreciated the fans rather than thinking they are a hassle.  The unfriendly disposition of many of the ushers and others I met, just rubbed me the wrong way.  Maybe I just ran into every bad apple, but you would think they would have staff with a friendly manner, even when they have to do things that may not sit well with the fan.  It wasn't always a matter of what the staff said, but the manner and tone in which they said it. 

I bet you men's season tickets you don't have to fly from DEN to MSP to FSD

Yes, if you want to spend an extra $100, there is one flight from Denver to Sioux Falls that leaves Denver at 10pm at night and lands at 12:30am on a Thursday. I'm sure Denver/CC fans will be lining up for that option.

Wouldn't mind going somewhere that appreciated the fans rather than thinking they are a hassle.  The unfriendly disposition of many of the ushers and others I met, just rubbed me the wrong way.  Maybe I just ran into every bad apple, but you would think they would have staff with a friendly manner, even when they have to do things that may not sit well with the fan.  It wasn't always a matter of what the staff said, but the manner and tone in which they said it. 

I can't speak for others - but I really didn't experience any issues with staff at the Target Center.  People running concessions were friendly and kept the lines moving, and we had absolutely no issues with ushers, no one hassling us about tickets, etc. 

Also, as a UND alum and fan living in the Twin Cities area, I would likely not travel to Sioux Falls for a conference tournament.  One thing to remember is that for fans living in the Twin Cities always have to travel to see Sioux hockey, so it is really nice having one weekend a year where we don't.  And if for some reason UND doesn't make it to the Frozen Faceoff, you can bet attendance in Sioux Falls would be even more horrendous than it would be in Minneapolis.  Husky fans couldn't even handle driving 1 hour south this year, Duluth is 6 hours away, and even Omaha fans who would have the closest drive, are not going to show up either - they certainly didn't show up to their own outdoor game a few years ago.

• Upvote 1

So because attendance was 'bad' at 11,000 people we should move it somewhere where we're basically guaranteed to have LESS people?? How does that make sense? I think people are underestimating how many UND fans are in the twin cities and also how few would drive to Sioux Falls. As many have mentioned people that have had the tourney in the home town for 20 years aren't likely to want to spend the time and money to drive someplace like Sioux Falls to see it. They'll just watch on TV. I can tell you right now not a single one of my friends or family would even consider driving to Sioux Falls for this. They go because it's here. They'd be way more likely to go if it was in Denver than Sioux Falls. Flights to Denver from MSP are dirt cheap and they have way more to do there.

You say it's guaranteed to have less people based on assumptions. It is definitely worth exploring. I believe the und/uno series in omaha this year drew close to 11,000 fans per game and attendance is down in omaha this year. The century link center in Omaha is off campus and would be another option. Id bet there would be more than 11,000 tickets per day sold there.

Another poster said he is frustrated by the lack of appreciation given by the target center and twin cities and I've spoken with a number of folks with the same feelings. You can bet that und fan attendance will be dropping at next year's frozen faceoff. Making a proactive change could turn this around.

You say it's guaranteed to have less people based on assumptions. It is definitely worth exploring. I believe the und/uno series in omaha this year drew close to 11,000 fans per game and attendance is down in omaha this year. The century link center in Omaha is off campus and would be another option. Id bet there would be more than 11,000 tickets per day sold there.

Another poster said he is frustrated by the lack of appreciation given by the target center and twin cities and I've spoken with a number of folks with the same feelings. You can bet that und fan attendance will be dropping at next year's frozen faceoff. Making a proactive change could turn this around.

You may need UNO to actually make the Frozen Faceoff in order to get some of that attendance...

I was willing to hear this opinion out as I kind of like different locations for conference tourneys but I'm slowly leaning towards Sioux Falls not being a great alternative. I lived in the cities for a few years and also had a ton of road trips back to GF for hockey games so the Conference Tourney was a nice break from traveling.

I can't speak for others - but I really didn't experience any issues with staff at the Target Center.  People running concessions were friendly and kept the lines moving, and we had absolutely no issues with ushers, no one hassling us about tickets, etc. 

Also, as a UND alum and fan living in the Twin Cities area, I would likely not travel to Sioux Falls for a conference tournament.  One thing to remember is that for fans living in the Twin Cities always have to travel to see Sioux hockey, so it is really nice having one weekend a year where we don't.  And if for some reason UND doesn't make it to the Frozen Faceoff, you can bet attendance in Sioux Falls would be even more horrendous than it would be in Minneapolis.  Husky fans couldn't even handle driving 1 hour south this year, Duluth is 6 hours away, and even Omaha fans who would have the closest drive, are not going to show up either - they certainly didn't show up to their own outdoor game a few years ago.

I agree. I didn't see any staff being overly mean at all. Were there lines and some issues on Friday? Yes. Did they have those cleared up on Saturday? Yes. I think some people went into the series Looking for issues to complain about. They didn't even check tickets this year, which was a major complaint last year.

• Upvote 1

Anybody ever consider Chicago? Personally I wouldn't mind making a weekend trip there, could host it at the United Center. Might lose out on some Minneapolis alum attendance wise but there's a good amount in Chicago too. Wouldn't mind having it at the Xcel when the contract is up but if that turns out to not be an option I would definitely prefer having it at the United Center to the Target Center. 

The league is very receptive to feedback. They know the boards need to be improved, they're working on that.  The TC brought the temp of the building down after Friday afternoon's game because the ice was less than desirable. If some have some of you have concerns that you feel need to be addressed, reach out to the NCHC. They're much better in getting back to fans than the WCHA was. 

You may need UNO to actually make the Frozen Faceoff in order to get some of that attendance...

I was willing to hear this opinion out as I kind of like different locations for conference tourneys but I'm slowly leaning towards Sioux Falls not being a great alternative. I lived in the cities for a few years and also had a ton of road trips back to GF for hockey games so the Conference Tourney was a nice break from traveling.

If tickets were sold in advance would it matter whether uno made it or not? Uno's attendance has been down but if this was marketed the right way Id think the nchc could get close to selling the tourney out in advance of it was at the century link. Just between und and uno fans. Sioux falls may not be too far fetched either.

Personally I'm sick of the target center. Get to the xcel and its a whole nother story. Bad ice, boards, glass, lack of involvement from area businesses, lack of professionalism from the target center staff, and so on. I know it's about the product on the ice but add everything up and people will no longer get excited about the frozen faceoff.

Of course it's based on assumptions, but also based on some facts. Like the fact that a LOT of alumni from many of the conference schools live in the Twin Cities. Am I not correct?

You can 'bet' that attendance will go down? Isn't that an assumption by you? Attendance was UP this year over last year and there were a TON of complaints after last years Tourney. So why would it go down after this year? Do you feel TC won't make changes? They did this year from one day to the next, why wouldn't they from one year to the next.

Of course it's based on assumptions, but also based on some facts. Like the fact that a LOT of alumni from many of the conference schools live in the Twin Cities. Am I not correct?

You can 'bet' that attendance will go down? Isn't that an assumption by you? Attendance was UP this year over last year and there were a TON of complaints after last years Tourney. So why would it go down after this year? Do you feel TC won't make changes? They did this year from one day to the next, why wouldn't they from one year to the next.

It is an assumption but when you witness people almost getting trampled after the Friday afternoon game maybe it just left a really bad taste in my mouth. This one is on the target center for the way they setup their re-entry policy and it could have been really bad.

The boards/glass/ice hasn't changed from last year.

And the support from surrounding businesses hasn't changed from last year. This one is out of the nchc's and tc's hands and likely will not change.

Personally, I'd have no desire to go to it in Sioux Falls.  My group typically has 1-2 road trips a year and if we do the conference tournament, its because its in MSP/STP and I know I will see a fair amount of friends/alums and there is alternative stuff to do.

Ya all wanna pat on the back from the Target Center and Minneapolis? Someone used the word spoiled earlier in this thread. I think some people are.

You suddenly think attendance is gonna drop next year after increasing this year? I doubt it.

It is an assumption but when you witness people almost getting trampled after the Friday afternoon game maybe it just left a really bad taste in my mouth. This one is on the target center for the way they setup their re-entry policy and it could have been really bad.

The boards/glass/ice hasn't changed from last year.

And the support from surrounding businesses hasn't changed from last year. This one is out of the nchc's and tc's hands and likely will not change.

That re-entry policy was changed THE NEXT NIGHT. You think they're not going to re-evaluate it with the NCHC before next year as well?

The Ice was fine the 2nd night. The boards and glass can be improved. These are not reasons to move the tourney. They are things that need to be improved.

What the heck do you expect from the local businesses? What 'support' can they offer you? Free drinks? Welcome UND fans signs? They have events at TC nearly every day of the week. These businesses don't care about some 10,000 person event once a year nor should they. If you want the tourney to move because of this you are crazy. Go to a different place next year. There are HUNDREDS of places downtown to check out.