SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Faceoff at the the Falls?

Siouxperfan7

Ya all wanna pat on the back from the Target Center and Minneapolis? Someone used the word spoiled earlier in this thread. I think some people are.

You suddenly think attendance is gonna drop next year after increasing this year? I doubt it.

No need for a pat on the back. Just miss what we once had in St. Paul.

The only reason there was an increase of fans this year was because of the St. Cloud fans that weren't there last year.

You aren't going to gain fans from Denver by putting it in Sioux Falls IMO. Flights from Denver to here are cheap as hell. Any fans that would fly to Sioux Falls for the Tourney already are likely flying here. Think about it. Why would more people fly to Sioux Falls when tickets are more expense than a flight to Minneapolis? Omaha is a better option than Sioux Falls IMO.

No need for a pat on the back. Just miss what we once had in St. Paul.

The only reason there was an increase of fans this year was because of the St. Cloud fans that weren't there last year.

The attendance will change every year based on who's there. Ever go to the Final Five when the gophs weren't there? That will happen no matter where it is located. No team besides UND sells a ton of advance tickets.

That re-entry policy was changed THE NEXT NIGHT. You think they're not going to re-evaluate it with the NCHC before next year as well?

The Ice was fine the 2nd night. The boards and glass can be improved. These are not reasons to move the tourney. They are things that need to be improved.

What the heck do you expect from the local businesses? What 'support' can they offer you? Free drinks? Welcome UND fans signs? They have events at TC nearly every day of the week. These businesses don't care about some 10,000 person event once a year nor should they. If you want the tourney to move because of this you are crazy. Go to a different place next year. There are HUNDREDS of places downtown to check out.

To me, witnessing people almost get trampled because of piss poor planning on the target center's end is unforgiveable. It happened and was very close to becoming a disaster. It wasn't the target center that stopped the escalators from continuing to go down. It was frantic panicking fans that found the buttons. I wouldn't want to bring my child to this place after witnessing that.

I didn't notice the ice getting any better on Saturday, though I wasn't on the ice. I was in my seat and witnessed many lost edges on crap ice on Saturday night as well. Think there could have been a reason und players were doing a lot of coasting?

Not asking the businesses to kiss anyone's ass. I just miss what is fans had in St. Paul and I think many fans miss that. I know there are tons of other businesses to check out....the few I did though acted like they'd rather not have our business.

The league is very receptive to feedback. They know the boards need to be improved, they're working on that. The TC brought the temp of the building down after Friday afternoon's game because the ice was less than desirable.

"Sorry the ice was less than ideal yesterday. Fans, we hope you brought your parkas and SiouxSports.com fleece hats today!"

Same problem at the 2000 WCHA Final Five. 15 years later it's "we're working on it."

What the heck do you expect from the local businesses? What 'support' can they offer you? Free drinks? Welcome UND fans signs? They have events at TC nearly every day of the week. These businesses don't care about some 10,000 person event once a year nor should they.

It's called good customer service, something missing from Minneapolis and Target Center during this tournament.

We all know the frustrations with having the Frozen Faceoff at the Target Center. Many issues make the tournament not as great as to what it could be. I think I had mentioned before about how the NCHC is the premier conference in college hockey and needs to showcase its conference tournament in a premier arena. Well, Can't think of a better place than the Denny Sanford PRIMIER Center. Seriously, this arena would be absolutely perfect for the Frozen Faceoff. Here are my reasons.

1. Centrally located for more schools.

Sure you don't get the influx of alumni from the Minneapolis area, but looking at the distance it is from each school, it is actually very comparable. Average distance from the 8 schools to Minneapolis is 507 miles. Average distance from the 8 schools to Sioux Falls is 504 miles. (Trust me, I did the math). Sure it will be farther if you want to drive for schools like Duluth and St. Cloud. But it will be much closer for Omaha and the Colorado schools.

2. Size of Arena

As much as people don't want to hear it, the attendance at conference tournaments this year was the lowest it has been for years. Sure having the tournament in a huge arena is great, but when you have 8,000 in a 18000 seat arena, the atmosphere is horrible. The NCHC isn't having the attendance issues quite as bad as other conferences, but it could get by with playing in a smaller arena. The average attendance for the Frozen Faceoff this year was 11563. The Sanford Center holds 10678. No sure you can say that it is already to small, but I think a lot of that can be attributed to having alum so close in Minneapolis. Now moving it out of Minneapolis may hurt attendance a little but a slight dip in attendance is worth it considering the other advantages.

3. Hockey Arena

The Denny Sanford Premier Center was built to host many events in Sioux Falls. But their primary tenant is the Sioux Falls Stampede. A USHL hockey team. They have experience maintaining the ice, boards, glass, etc. No more crazy bounces and slow ice to worry about. Also their staff working the game is used to hosting hockey games and they won't have people coming in and out during play. Having the tournament in an arena that is used to hosting hockey games is a huge advantage. We want the best conditions to play on and playing in a basketball arena converted to hockey is just not it. Also, the Sanford Center host many tournaments, mainly the Summit League basketball tourney at the end of the year. They have experience handling fans attending multiple sessions at one arena. There would be no wrist band debacle.

4. Size of Community

I understand that going to the big city of Minneapolis is a great road trip for many fans and there is a lot to do besides before and after the games. But it's not like Sioux Falls is a tiny town. Population is about 165,000. There are plenty af bars, restaurants, and hotels that could accomodate fans. Also, when the NCHC Frozen Faceoff is in Sioux Falls, it would be THE event in town. Lots of people would be talking about it. No other teams are playing in the town. (Except the Stampede, but they would be out of town that weekend, obviously.) The city would take it seriously and would deffinitely make sure that the tournament is run smoothly.

So those are just a few advantages I can see to moving the Frozen Faceoff to the new Denny Sanford Premier Center in Sioux Falls SD.

Albiet biased, I agree. ? Sioux Falls has also done well with hosting NCAA's Summit League basketball tourneys. Sioux Falls Regional Airport offers direct flights to/from:

Minneapolis

Chicago

Dallas/Fort Worth

Atlanta

Denver

Tampa/Clearwater/St.Petersburg

Las Vegas

Phoenix/Mesa

Orlando

MY WAITRESS WAS SNOBBY I WANT THE TOURNEY MOVED!!!!Welcome to the big city fellas...

Now you are putting words intoy mouth. Nchc has asked for feedback and I've given mine and let my experience known on here as well. It's my opinion the nchc should consider pulling the tourney from the target center. Will it happen any time soon? Probably not but I can only dream!

MY WAITRESS WAS SNOBBY I WANT THE TOURNEY MOVED!!!! Welcome to the big city fellas...

I think most people are just used to being treated nicely over in St. Paul, where it is a hockey city. MPLS isn't bad, its just not very welcoming to hockey fans.

• Upvote 1

Sioux Falls Stampede averaged over 6000 fans this pas season.  Sure some of it had to do with the new arena, but its not like people are going to stop going to games in the new arena. (Similar situation to what we experienced in 2001 when the new Ralph opened).  Sioux Falls has plenty of hockey fans.  I think that you would see many locals attend the tournament jsut to see good hockey.  Especially if former Stampede players are playing for NCHC teams. 

Sioux Falls Stampede averaged over 6000 fans this pas season. Sure some of it had to do with the new arena, but its not like people are going to stop going to games in the new arena. (Similar situation to what we experienced in 2001 when the new Ralph opened). Sioux Falls has plenty of hockey fans. I think that you would see many locals attend the tournament jsut to see good hockey. Especially if former Stampede players are playing for NCHC teams.

You think a couple thousand locals would show to offset the couple thousand that live in mn that would refuse to travel a couple hours to Sioux falls?

You think a couple thousand locals would show to offset the couple thousand that live in mn that would refuse to travel a couple hours to Sioux falls?

I never said a couple thousand.  I said there would be "many".  I guess that is all relative.  Do I think 2000 local Sioux Falls residents would show up, no.  But they would be there.  I can't predict the number any better than you can.

I lived and worked in downtown Minneapolis for 4 years. Not sure what accepting bad service and snobby servers have do with being in a "big city".

Agree, the employees at the Pourhouse and TC were all nice/friendly to me so no complaints here. Now, if you're talking New York.....
  • Upvote 1