SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Faceoff at the the Falls?

Siouxperfan7

Anybody ever consider Chicago? Personally I wouldn't mind making a weekend trip there, could host it at the United Center. Might lose out on some Minneapolis alum attendance wise but there's a good amount in Chicago too. Wouldn't mind having it at the Xcel when the contract is up but if that turns out to not be an option I would definitely prefer having it at the United Center to the Target Center.

I had to use the bathroom at the upper part of the Madhouse, if I was afraid of water I would still be holding it. I love the Hawks, but top of the line was not my thought that night, but it was still a blast. That national anthem noise is scary loud

Our party ate or drank t Fat Lorenzo's, Runyon's, Key's, Rock Bottom Brewery, and the Pourhouse and never felt we weren't welcomed or were treated poorly. Oh, that includes the Marriott. I didn't see any difference in how we were treated between the two cities other than how the games turned out. Never had to watch THAT in St. Paul over two games....

gee, what crowd does pro basketball attract that would require body searches, profiling works, just don't admit it.

Have you ever even been to a Wolves game, or are you just a racist douche? 90% or more of the crowd are rich white people. I've been frisked at the Xcel center plenty of times. Crawl back under your rock idiot

We bounced all over downtown and never had bad service :shrug:  I wonder what this missing service from St. Paul was?  I have always had good service there, too, but didn't feel like I was missing anything in Mpls.  There are definitely more people in Mpls who aren't there for hockey, so maybe more crowded?  Less comradery?

If you want to say you couldn't eat at the Pourhouse, I'd certainly agree.  We couldn't even find a seat there either day.  Darn Sioux fans took all of them before the wife and I arrived!

I like the idea.  It could be something to try without a large multi-year commitment to be bound to.  I didn't get through all of the posts, so some of this might be echoing what others have already said but:

1.)  It's almost the exact same drive down to the mile from GF to SF as GF to MSP is.  So you're not asking area Sioux fans (who make or break the tournament) to make a larger than usual travel commitment.  There are also lots of Sioux fans in SD and western ND that might become part of the picture with a SF tournament. Sure, you lose out on some Sioux fans that live in MSP and just come out because the tournament is in their town, but it is speculation to think there isn't a large contingent of diehard MSP Sioux fans who would be willing to travel to SF for the weekend as well.

2.)  Sioux Falls leads the USHL in attendance by a very large margin (They average 6,300 per game which is about 80% more than the Force who are second in attendance).  Sioux Falls is obviously a very strong hockey town.  I think if the tournament became an annual tradition in SF there's a very real possibility that great local support could be expected nearly every year.  Without a true dog in the fight for SF hockey fans they might support the tournament regardless of the teams in it each year thus mitigating to a certain degree some of the nightmarish scenarios we currently have if we get a perfect storm of poorly supported teams in it.  They could also examine the idea of greatly discounted tickets for locals in certain years or games where necessary.

3.)  I think the arena is the perfect size.  Not so large that it would look and feel virtually empty in a poorly attended game, but plenty big enough to support a large crowd as well.  Also, what others have brought up about it being a hockey venue and all of the merits that brings to the table.

4.)  Omaha is still relatively new to the college game.  It stands to reason with the success the program has had early on that their fanbase will only grow over time.  That takes time though, it doesn't happen overnight.  With a tournament being held within about a two hour drive for them (versus over 5 hours to MSP) it also stands to reason their support of the tournament might increase as well.

5.)  Den, CC, and WMich are all non-factors.  SCSU has shown that they're not even willing to drive 45 min. to watch their team, but I suppose the faithful SCSU fans might make the ~200 mile drive.  Duluth is the true wildcard as we haven't yet seen how they will support the tournament regardless of where it's held.  To me, as stated above, it should be about tapping into the emerging hockey markets.

6.)  In SF it would be the only show in town every single year.  Hockey fans could "takeover" the town to a certain degree and not be splintered off in a huge ocean as it currently is with the three tournaments in a very large market.  It would have more of an old school WCHA Final Five vibe.

I'm not sure what the gripe is with the pat-down.  It was hardly even a pat down.  Put your arms up, two pats and your're through.  Have you been the X recently?  It's the exact same thing there.

As for the re-entry thing - perhaps the Target Center could have done it better and will improve on that - but nobody is talking about the REASON for it is because the NCHC chose to have two games per ticket.  That never happened at the X and we have no idea how well the X staff would have implemented such a policy.  In my opinion, the gripe on this issue is more with the NCHC than the venue.

If folks are blowing up at the thought of the Frozen Faceoff in Sioux Falls ... 

I wondered if the NCAA would put a regional in Scheel's Arena in Fargo, why wouldn't they put one in "The Little Ralph" in Thief River Falls. 

What if someone gets bad service or a Pat Down in Sioux Falls?!?! OH THE HORROR~!!! We'd need to move the tourney again. Luckily for 90siouxfan they don't have many darkies there so he should be safe from seeing or interacting with any... Poor guy.

What if someone gets bad service or a Pat Down in Sioux Falls?!?! OH THE HORROR~!!! We'd need to move the tourney again. Luckily for 90siouxfan they don't have many darkies there so he should be safe from seeing or interacting with any... Poor guy.

I guess I deserve that, for the record I am not a racist, just a bumpkin that hasn't been out in the world much. I have been reading Siouxsports for several years and the comments revolving around the Target Center and the pat downs along with several comment about the facility being a basketball venue misled me to believe the persons that attended "wolves" games were in need of a pat down, why are they so enamored with patting down "rich, white people? I have never been patted down, sounded horrible, now I am intrigued. I didn't get patted down in Philadelphia, what a bunch of slackers, or at the Ralph... I am willing to face my fears, colonoscopy will be scheduled. In a more serious tone, I do apologize for making what in hindsight could be taken as a racist comment.

In all fairness, there is a small cadre of fans attending Wolves game that intentionally put out a "gansta" vibe.  Whether they are thugs or not or not is a matter for the Minneapolis PD.  Those "rich white folks" who attend the games would probably quit buying their season tickets if the ushers did not check EVERYONE for weapons at the door.

I spend a week or two every year in Sioux Falls for work.  There are two restaurants within walking distance (half a mile) from the Sanford Center. Seating would cover 5% of the UND fans near the rink.  Downtown has some nice restaurants, and there is the regular suburban restaurant fair at the Mall or near the freeways.  I know I would probably go to the games there if Squirt could get off work, but Mrs. SquirtCoach would probably not go.  How many couples come down from Fargo or GF and spend some time shopping at MOA, Galleria, 50th and France, or downtown?  Sanford might be a nice rink, but a lot of North Dakota fans would probably pass on the opportunity to spend a weekend day driving from the hotel to the Mall to the hockey rink to downtown for dinner and back to the hotel.

I'm not sure what the gripe is with the pat-down.  It was hardly even a pat down.  Put your arms up, two pats and your're through.  Have you been the X recently?  It's the exact same thing there.

As for the re-entry thing - perhaps the Target Center could have done it better and will improve on that - but nobody is talking about the REASON for it is because the NCHC chose to have two games per ticket.  That never happened at the X and we have no idea how well the X staff would have implemented such a policy.  In my opinion, the gripe on this issue is more with the NCHC than the venue.

They did have re entry at the X, only they stamped your hand and required your ticket. There was a short wait, but nothing like the gong show at the Target Center. You shouldn't have to work on things like opening the doors when they are supposed to open.

In all fairness, there is a small cadre of fans attending Wolves game that intentionally put out a "gansta" vibe. Whether they are thugs or not or not is a matter for the Minneapolis PD. Those "rich white folks" who attend the games would probably quit buying their season tickets if the ushers did not check EVERYONE for weapons at the door.

I spend a week or two every year in Sioux Falls for work. There are two restaurants within walking distance (half a mile) from the Sanford Center. Seating would cover 5% of the UND fans near the rink. Downtown has some nice restaurants, and there is the regular suburban restaurant fair at the Mall or near the freeways. I know I would probably go to the games there if Squirt could get off work, but Mrs. SquirtCoach would probably not go. How many couples come down from Fargo or GF and spend some time shopping at MOA, Galleria, 50th and France, or downtown? Sanford might be a nice rink, but a lot of North Dakota fans would probably pass on the opportunity to spend a weekend day driving from the hotel to the Mall to the hockey rink to downtown for dinner and back to the hotel.

Careful! Use of the word thug at a b-ball game and the race card might be used on you too!

I was taking the train downtown early Saturday afternoon and a few Somalians got on. One of the Somalians was wearing a hoodie with the letters "nhcc" embroidered on the front. A drunk (I think) sioux fan goes up to him and says are you a nchc fan too? The look on the Somalian's face was priceless.

They did have re entry at the X, only they stamped your hand and required your ticket. There was a short wait, but nothing like the gong show at the Target Center. You shouldn't have to work on things like opening the doors when they are supposed to open.

LOL - that was the "smoker stamp" you got if you went out through the smokers' area.  It was a short, albeit smelly, walk to get clear of them and get on with what you left to do.  Coming back in, you just had to use the same door. They didn't officially have re-entry.

LOL - that was the "smoker stamp" you got if you went out through the smokers' area.  It was a short, albeit smelly, walk to get clear of them and get on with what you left to do.  Coming back in, you just had to use the same door. They didn't officially have re-entry.

Correct. We used this for years to grab a beer at Eagle Street during the Intermission of non-sioux games. Worked great.

I spend a week or two every year in Sioux Falls for work. There are two restaurants within walking distance (half a mile) from the Sanford Center. Seating would cover 5% of the UND fans near the rink. Downtown has some nice restaurants, and there is the regular suburban restaurant fair at the Mall or near the freeways. I know I would probably go to the games there if Squirt could get off work, but Mrs. SquirtCoach would probably not go. How many couples come down from Fargo or GF and spend some time shopping at MOA, Galleria, 50th and France, or downtown? Sanford might be a nice rink, but a lot of North Dakota fans would probably pass on the opportunity to spend a weekend day driving from the hotel to the Mall to the hockey rink to downtown for dinner and back to the hotel.

I live in SF and while I agree that the venue itself is a great place to watch a hockey game ( I prefer it over the scheels area in Fargo) Sioux falls is not a great town to host this tourney.

There is a lack of restaurants close to the arena. Much like Fargo taxi service is also not incredibly convenient. Also quite honestly Sioux falls is boring as hell.

I live in SF and while I agree that the venue itself is a great place to watch a hockey game ( I prefer it over the scheels area in Fargo) Sioux falls is not a great town to host this tourney.

There is a lack of restaurants close to the arena. Much like Fargo taxi service is also not incredibly convenient. Also quite honestly Sioux falls is boring as hell.

BOX