SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Faceoff at the the Falls?

Siouxperfan7

Coming from grand forks Id prefer it. Sioux fans in minneapolis may not make the trip. But then again plenty of Sioux fans traveled to omaha....so why not Sioux Falls for the frozen faceoff?

I'm to the point where I don't plan on going to the target center next year. If it was in Sioux Falls Id seriously consider going. It's just my opinion but the target center and downtown Minneapolis are ruining the conference tournament that und plays in.

Why wouldn't the Sioux fans in Minny make it?  Sioux falls isn't far away...isn't it close to the TC than GF?

• Upvote 1

Denver maybe technically be closer to Sioux Falls if you're looking on a map, but Denver to Sioux Falls isn't a driveable distance, and any flight from Denver to Sioux Falls, aside from being crazy expensive, goes through Minneapolis anyway.

I'm in the camp that a big reason we go is because it is an excuse to get to the Twin Cities and take advantage of what the big city offers.  My wife and I and another couple have done it the last two years and plan on continuing to do so.  No way could I see us making a weekend trip to Sioux Falls.  I think attendance would be pretty poor there.   

Wasn't attendance at the Target Center over 11,000 both days this past weekend?  That's up quite a bit from last year from what I can tell.  11,000 in an old and crappy 18,000 seat arena is better than 4,000 in a shiny new 10,000 seat arena IMO.

• Upvote 1

Why not the mts center in Winnipeg.

Because that could eliminate a large group of fans.

1.  You need a passport or a passport card to re-enter the US from Canada.  Not every fan has those.

2.  If you have any alcohol related citation on your record Canada will either refuse you entry, or you pay the Canadian equivalent fine.  Even if your DWI was 25 years ago.  DWI in Canada is a felony, even if it occurred in the US.

Other than that, I love Winnipeg.  I do two Canadian fishing trips a year plus occasional trips to Winnipeg.  It is a wonderful fun town.  I would rather go there than the Twin Cities.

Denver maybe technically be closer to Sioux Falls if you're looking on a map, but Denver to Sioux Falls isn't a driveable distance, and any flight from Denver to Sioux Falls, aside from being crazy expensive, goes through Minneapolis anyway.

I bet you men's season tickets you don't have to fly from DEN to MSP to FSD

I'm in the camp that a big reason we go is because it is an excuse to get to the Twin Cities and take advantage of what the big city offers.  My wife and I and another couple have done it the last two years and plan on continuing to do so.  No way could I see us making a weekend trip to Sioux Falls.  I think attendance would be pretty poor there.   

Wasn't attendance at the Target Center over 11,000 both days this past weekend?  That's up quite a bit from last year from what I can tell.  11,000 in an old and crappy 18,000 seat arena is better than 4,000 in a shiny new 10,000 seat arena IMO.

I agree. I want it to stay in the Twin Cities. I'm also looking forward to see what 97 million will do to the old "dump".

Everyone one here is really trying to get a good thing back that we had at the X.  It isn't going to happen in the next few years because of contracts.  I don't know if breach of contract, ie. bad ice or lack of services could get them out of the contract.  Sioux Falls is a no go in my mind because of lack of built in ticket buyers.  Twin Cities is a huge alumni base for ND, Duluth, and some of the other schools.  I would just say that we have to get used to this and hope against all odds that the NCHC understands that without UND there, they have what happened at the Joe happen here.  There will be a time that UND doesn't make it and then watch out, that is going to be a ghost arena.

I don't think the details of the contract have been released publicly, except that it was a 5-year deal.  Schlossman speculated at the time that the NCHC had opt-out clauses in the contract, but I don't know if he ever reported on the details of those.  Depending on the contract details, it might be possible for the NCHC to opt-out without penalty before the 5 years is up.

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=91210

It’s also likely that the NCHC has some type of an opt-out in the contract if it wishes.

The target center renovation will do nothing to fix the hockey tournament problems. Unless we can have the x we need to move the tourney to a real hockey arena. I rather watch good hockey in Sioux falls than crap hockey in Minneapolis

Don't forget Colorado college has the number four attendance in the nation at 6000 and this was their worst year in a long time.

1. The average distance from each school may be similar, but the distance from the fan population centers is way worse. The twin cities is FULL of fans from many of the NCHC schools esp UND, Cloud and UMD. Think these fans want to drive 6 hours for something that has been in their backyard for over 20 years? Also, both Colorado schools have low attendance numbers even for their home games. Those people aren't driving 7 hours in mass for this tourney. Most Denver fans you see at it now are from the Twin Cities.

2. Yes, a smaller arena could host it, but how many people would they draw to the twin cities if Duluth, UND and Cloud all made the tourney next year? Far more than this year.

3. The issues at TC with the boards can be fixed. The ice can be fixed. I expect these issues to be rectified by next year. They already fixed the wrist band issue on the 2nd day of the tourney.

4. Sioux Falls doesn't hold a candle to the twin cities in terms of things to do, places to eat, hotels, museums, etc. 'No other teams playing in town' What does that matter? It was awesome that people could go to the Wild game in the afternoon if they wanted this year. Having nothing else to do is a plus? Sioux Falls is boring as hell. Who cares if 'people are talking about it'.. How would that help anyone?

Anything would be an improvement over minneapolis to me. Maybe it was just the places I went to before and after the games but food/drink establishments were not staffed or ready for the people they had trough there. Specifically sneaky Petes, 508, and pour house. Good luck eating before any games! The target center has shown they are incapable of hosting the event. If my buddy hadnt shut the escalator off after the Friday afternoon game I'm positive people would have been trampled trying to get out with the wrist band debacle.

Anything would be an improvement over minneapolis to me. Maybe it was just the places I went to before and after the games but food/drink establishments were not staffed or ready for the people they had trough there. Specifically sneaky Petes, 508, and pour house. Good luck eating before any games! The target center has shown they are incapable of hosting the event. If my buddy hadnt shut the escalator off after the Friday afternoon game I'm positive people would have been trampled trying to get out with the wrist band debacle.

That is one thing I miss about St. Paul, McGovern's could be packed and still get you some great food.

Huh? I'm in minny.

I'm not sold that und fans from the tc wouldn't make it to Sioux falls. The current attendance is brutal the way it is. 11,000 per day? Not numbers the conference should be bragging about. The Friday night game had maybe 3000 fans. Third place game maybe 7000 and championship game maybe 6000. Year one was even a bigger flop. You've got to think the nchc should be brainstorming as to what changes need to be made because the way things have been the past two years are not working.

1. The average distance from each school may be similar, but the distance from the fan population centers is way worse. The twin cities is FULL of fans from many of the NCHC schools esp UND, Cloud and UMD. Think these fans want to drive 6 hours for something that has been in their backyard for over 20 years? Also, both Colorado schools have low attendance numbers even for their home games. Those people aren't driving 7 hours in mass for this tourney. Most Denver fans you see at it now are from the Twin Cities.

2. Yes, a smaller arena could host it, but how many people would they draw to the twin cities if Duluth, UND and Cloud all made the tourney next year? Far more than this year.

3. The issues at TC with the boards can be fixed. The ice can be fixed. I expect these issues to be rectified by next year. They already fixed the wrist band issue on the 2nd day of the tourney.

4. Sioux Falls doesn't hold a candle to the twin cities in terms of things to do, places to eat, hotels, museums, etc. 'No other teams playing in town' What does that matter? It was awesome that people could go to the Wild game in the afternoon if they wanted this year. Having nothing else to do is a plus? Sioux Falls is boring as hell. Who cares if 'people are talking about it'.. How would that help anyone?

It's all about priorities I guess.  Restaurants, hotels, museaums, bars, ect sure they are nice to have a variety to choose from.  Sure it's an added bonus to have all the other things to do while you are at a tournament.  But what is your main reason for going to the Frozen Faceoff?  To watch hockey.  All other things are an added perk.  IMO I would much rather sacrifice a few other ammenities in regards to non hockey activities that I could do for having a much better game day and tournament experience.   

I'm not sold that und fans from the tc wouldn't make it to Sioux falls. The current attendance is brutal the way it is. 11,000 per day? Not numbers the conference should be bragging about. The Friday night game had maybe 3000 fans. Third place game maybe 7000 and championship game maybe 6000. Year one was even a bigger flop. You've got to think the nchc should be brainstorming as to what changes need to be made because the way things have been the past two years are not working.

So because attendance was 'bad' at 11,000 people we should move it somewhere where we're basically guaranteed to have LESS people?? How does that make sense? I think people are underestimating how many UND fans are in the twin cities and also how few would drive to Sioux Falls. As many have mentioned people that have had the tourney in the home town for 20 years aren't likely to want to spend the time and money to drive someplace like Sioux Falls to see it. They'll just watch on TV. I can tell you right now not a single one of my friends or family would even consider driving to Sioux Falls for this. They go because it's here. They'd be way more likely to go if it was in Denver than Sioux Falls. Flights to Denver from MSP are dirt cheap and they have way more to do there.

• Upvote 1