SiouxSports.com Forum

Target Center Fail

guy-ser

The Big Ten can outbid the NCHC or the WCHA with ease.  Plus this is a Big Ten market.  Nobody in the cities has even heard of the NCHC much less the tiny schools that make it up.

"Tiny schools"? The student size has nothing to do with how strong a program is. Take UND for example. It's student body I believe is as big/bigger than Duke and Notre Dame but that doesn't mean it measures up to them success-wise and brand-wise in basketball or football. Size of the school means nothing, what matter is the strength of the program. If it did, UND would be a middle of the road program in hockey and getting beat up by the likes of Min, Mich, Wis, Ohio St,...which of course as even you even know isn't the case. As Duke is in hoops, Notre Dame is in football, UND is in hockey circles.

Tech alumni are mostly engineers, likely live in the Twin Cities, Wisconsin, and Michigan, are very loyal, and have money to travel, unlike most UP'ers.

I know it's just a small percentage but a lot of our grads fly for free so it helps getting to away games or to events. We were at the du series this year and the denver Marriott was an Odegard reunion.

Wow. Some of u peeps r complaining/ blaming bad ice conditions on the outcome of certain games last weekend at the tc? I cannot imagine what hosting the nchc AND the wcha tourneys jointly on the same weekend on the same ice would do to the ice conditions. Maybe have slurpee sponsor the tourney and start spooning free fresh icee's from the playing surface to everyone who stayed for the last three games on Saturday? This would also solve a lot of the complaining about the food being served at the target Center. Who has ever complained about having a bad icee?

The PIG1 can always bid to play at the Ridder Arena.  They get a full arena, maybe, to make it look like the hockey fans locally actually like to get out and watch games involving teams other than their beloved Chokes.  The place has some camera stands.   The bid price would be pretty reasonable and, as it is all about money, the PIG1 saves alot of it.  Full building, maybe.  Rabid fans.  Maybe.   Good camera angles with seats in the stands.  Yup.  No beer sales so no one is offended.   Check.  Ridder Arena.  The winner goes to The Dance.  Apparently, in that hotbed of hockey talent, everyone else stays home.  Wow. 

Mariucci, you going to Manchester to support your boys?   You go to Detroit to support your boys?   Heck, did you even go to The John to support your boys?   The trifecta.  Golden Choker fans.  More loyal to their television sets than they are to anything else in the world of college hockey.  It's a match made in heaven.  Minnesota, the PIG1, and the boob tube.

• Upvote 3

Anyone have a link to the dakota chant? I'm trying to figure out what it is. It's not fight on Sioux is it?

Silly administration would limit what they play.

Since the "Dakota" chant has the word "Sioux" at the end, the band isn't allowed to use it.  The first year after the name change, the band changed the chant, so after the song there were two chants going at the same time.  The band scrapped the chant after the song, leaving it up to the students/fans.

Remember folks, the Xcel is more worried about offending the 10,000 50+ year old Gophers fans who don't sell out their own home games than they are making money. Mariucci set me straight. Fear the Senior Citizens fans! They might not sell out one of their upcoming MN Wild Games or Rock Concerts if they do. Those 10,000 fans buy a TON of rock concert tickets and are all MN wild Season ticket holders as well. That must be why they can't go to the actual Gophers games...

Wow. Some of u peeps r complaining/ blaming bad ice conditions on the outcome of certain games last weekend at the tc? I cannot imagine what hosting the nchc AND the wcha tourneys jointly on the same weekend on the same ice would do to the ice conditions. Maybe have slurpee sponsor the tourney and start spooning free fresh icee's from the playing surface to everyone who stayed for the last three games on Saturday? This would also solve a lot of the complaining about the food being served at the target Center. Who has ever complained about having a bad icee?

My complaints were not about the ice.  Mine were about the boards and the stanchions in the glass causing really crazy bounces.  These are a huge part of hockey play and the wacky bounces were ridiculous.  You can count on strange bounces happening every so often, but not every other minute.  Also, doors in the boards should not be popping open due to players being checked.  I have seen worse ice conditions, but this is worst board and glass conditions I have ever seen. 

I've heard that the system used in the target center to keep the ice frozen is not the best and that they may have bought a lower quality one to save $$ actually. Hence the need to have the building so cold to help keep the ice firm. The reason you don't hear many complaints about ice is most buildings invest in a quality system.

Edit: sorry, my quote didn't work from my phone.  I was replying to poster asking if Al really got kicked out.

Just from that section. The picture I posted of him was from before the games started. He liked that pic and was trying to get it on the video board at the tourney. I have a Twitter account, so they sent it to me to tweet to the nchc accounts. Figuring he wanted the world to see it, and finding the topic on here that fit, I tried attaching it here.

Anyone have a link to the dakota chant? I'm trying to figure out what it is. It's not fight on Sioux is it?

Silly administration would limit what they play.

I looked through my old band recordings and none of them included it at the end, but here's the words for it. This would be chanted as an extension of the fight song after hockey goals and football touchdowns. Percussion would continue playing for it, but no other instruments played. 

D-A-K, O-T-A, NORTH. DAKOTA. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SIOUX!

Scratch that - you can hear it at about the :30 mark of this video: 

I never noticed they banned it til this weekend. I guess all they want the students to do is sit down and shut up. If we start having some tough years I hope the students don't say screw it and not attend the games. Pretty soon beer will be banned too and fun will be banned too.

I never noticed they banned it til this weekend. I guess all they want the students to do is sit down and shut up. If we start having some tough years I hope the students don't say screw it and not attend the games. Pretty soon beer will be banned too and fun will be banned too.

fe6e47d4f96b82d947c56de2fe47efa508236ba1

I looked through my old band recordings and none of them included it at the end, but here's the words for it. This would be chanted as an extension of the fight song after hockey goals and football touchdowns. Percussion would continue playing for it, but no other instruments played. 

D-A-K, O-T-A, NORTH. DAKOTA. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SIOUX!

Scratch that - you can hear it at about the :30 mark of this video: 

Ha, I'm actually in that video.  After the name change the chant went to "N-D Go D-A-K-O-T-A Nooooooorth Dakota!"

The REA never banned it.  The school administration never banned chanting.  Since the band is affiliated with the school, they basically couldn't say the word "Sioux".  The band CHOSE to stop the chant, as they (the band officials + students) didn't want to have to compete with the students chanting the Sioux chant, while chanting the new, ND version.

My complaints were not about the ice.  Mine were about the boards and the stanchions in the glass causing really crazy bounces.  These are a huge part of hockey play and the wacky bounces were ridiculous.  You can count on strange bounces happening every so often, but not every other minute.  Also, doors in the boards should not be popping open due to players being checked.  I have seen worse ice conditions, but this is worst board and glass conditions I have ever seen. 

Is it just me but I swear there was a goal that was scored off the back of a goalie in the 2000 Final 5 at target center. I believe it hit the boards behind the goal and bounced straight to the goal and off his back.  If I saw it, that means it was in a UND game.

Is it just me but I swear there was a goal that was scored off the back of a goalie in the 2000 Final 5 at target center. I believe it hit the boards behind the goal and bounced straight to the goal and off his back.  If I saw it, that means it was in a UND game.

I feel like Denver or BC scored one off UND in the Frozen Four like that one year similar to that but it was probably close to a decade ago by now.  Maybe not?