SiouxSports.com Forum

Target Center Fail

guy-ser

Just one short season ago it was better then the NCHC.  This is one year, don't be so short sighted.  And let's not forget your season last year was ended by a Big Ten team. 

Based on what? Don't say non-conference record unless you are throwing out the fact they beefed up on Atlantic Hockey. Number of tourney entrants? Nope.

Actually, pro sports OWN the twin cities. The big 10 is way way below the pro sports in this town both in terms of revenue generation and/or media coverage.

This explains why I like the Vikings Twins & Wild but hate the goofs ncaa & pig10

• Upvote 1

Actually, pro sports OWN the twin cities. The big 10 is way way below the pro sports in this town both in terms of revenue generation and/or media coverage.

Fair enough, but you're muddying the waters. This isn't professional versus college were talking about. If I'm a venue and I can choose the big ten at y amount or anyone else at y x 1.1, I'm taking the big ten every single time in the Twin Cities market.

The Big Ten can outbid the NCHC or the WCHA with ease.  Plus this is a Big Ten market.  Nobody in the cities has even heard of the NCHC much less the tiny schools that make it up.  

Yes the casual person will recognize the Big Ten name but the casual person in the Twin Cities probably doesn't even know the B1G has hockey. Hockey people and most importantly recruits in the Twin Cities definitely know the NCHC well.

The Big Ten can outbid the NCHC or the WCHA with ease.  Plus this is a Big Ten market.  Nobody in the cities has even heard of the NCHC much less the tiny schools that make it up.  

If it is such a BIG TEN market like you say. why don't the gophers sell out all there games?

And the Pig10 travels so well, look at last years attendance at X 8522(MN Game) vs last years NCHC 8626(UND) at Target.  Looks like your theory is wrong.  That was with a home team playing at the X and Ralph East showing up at Target.  Mariucci, take off the tinted glasses and look at the numbers, they don't lie. When you have Pat Michelettie saying this model needs to change, there is a problem.

The WCHA had a great final for attendance: Mankato vs Tech, but only 700 Only Bemidji vs Mankato could possibly top it. Could you imagine a WCHA final four of UAH, BGSU, Ferris, and UAF? The WCHA has to be fearful of that happening one day. Only three WCHA teams draw in St Paul.

Houghton is 6 hours from St Paul - in IDEAL driving conditions. The reason Tech had so many supporters was because a good number of Gopher fans showed up to cheer for them (wearing Tech jerseys) and because it's the first time since the early 1990's that the Huskies were in the title game. I'm guessing that had a few fans wanting to make the trip.

Houghton is 6 hours from St Paul - in IDEAL driving conditions. The reason Tech had so many supporters was because a good number of Gopher fans showed up to cheer for them (wearing Tech jerseys) and because it's the first time since the early 1990's that the Huskies were in the title game. I'm guessing that had a few fans wanting to make the trip.

Tech alumni are mostly engineers, likely live in the Twin Cities, Wisconsin, and Michigan, are very loyal, and have money to travel, unlike most UP'ers.

The way I see it if someone is offering the X (or any venue) a contract for 5 solid years vs a contract that is one year at the X and a year at the Joe and back at the X. 

A smart person takes the guarantee of a 5 consecutive year contract - because I'm sure the NCHC or WCHA will make other arrangements and not schedule around the pig10 every year.

Also with more than enough local teams it should pay off. The only thing I am not sure of is the TV contract, that could be enough $$$ to make the X agree to an every other year deal...

A big question is whether each league wants to keep their third place games.  If so, you'd have eight total games for the weekend.  If not, you'd have six.  Six would be much easier to manage than eight, but eight wouldn't be impossible.  

....................................................................................

Based on what I saw, take UND out of the picture and the NCHC tournament isn't looking so hot either.  Granted, Duluth hasn't made the tournament yet, so it's tough to gauge that fan base, but I was underwhelmed with the number of St. Cloud fans. 

I would hate to see the 3rd place game go away.  I probably wouldn't make the trip anymore.  We decided to start going last year when they said they would have a 3rd place game, because we knew we were guaranteed to see the Sioux play twice.  As it turns out, we would have only saw them play once the past two years without that game.  I believe the 3rd place game was pretty crucial to UND getting into the NCAA's last year as well wasn't it?

I agree the SCSU turnout was weak.  I was expecting much more.

The planned renovations to the Target Center.................. are any of those expected to improve the buildings Hockey ammenities?

There was like four Gopher fans cheering for them. They had a bunch of students make the trip down and ....

Tech alumni are mostly engineers, likely live in the Twin Cities, Wisconsin, and Michigan, are very loyal, and have money to travel, unlike most UP'ers.

...you said it.