SiouxSports.com Forum

Target Center Fail

guy-ser

Is it just me but I swear there was a goal that was scored off the back of a goalie in the 2000 Final 5 at target center. I believe it hit the boards behind the goal and bounced straight to the goal and off his back. If I saw it, that means it was in a UND game.

You might be referring to the 1999 title game between UND and Denver...

Is it just me but I swear there was a goal that was scored off the back of a goalie in the 2000 Final 5 at target center. I believe it hit the boards behind the goal and bounced straight to the goal and off his back.  If I saw it, that means it was in a UND game.

Sounds like the opening goal at the Frozen Faceoff last yr. WMU vs DU

Is it just me but I swear there was a goal that was scored off the back of a goalie in the 2000 Final 5 at target center. I believe it hit the boards behind the goal and bounced straight to the goal and off his back.  If I saw it, that means it was in a UND game.

It was the 2000-2001 title game between UND and St Cloud and I only remembered because I was there...Forward Chris Purslow shot it into his own goal from behind the net, banking it off his goalie Scott Meyer while trying to pass the puck up ice...this was part of a huge Sioux comeback in the third period to send the game into OT.  Honestly, he effing panicked...  I found the recap on USCHO.

http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2001/03/17/eastmans-controversial-winner-gives-st-cloud-title/

The game ended with a St Cloud goal in which Sioux backup goalie Andy Kollar got knocked down during a scrum in front of the net.  Blais started Kollar instead of Goehring to give him more big game experience, I guess.

• Upvote 1

It was the 2000-2001 title game between UND and St Cloud and I only remembered because I was there...Forward Chris Purslow shot it into his own goal from behind the net, banking it off his goalie Scott Meyer while trying to pass the puck up ice...this was part of a huge Sioux comeback in the third period to send the game into OT.  Honestly, he effing panicked...  I found the recap on USCHO.

http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2001/03/17/eastmans-controversial-winner-gives-st-cloud-title/

The game ended with a St Cloud goal in which Sioux backup goalie Andy Kollar got knocked down during a scrum in front of the net.  Blais started Kollar instead of Goehring to give him more big game experience, I guess.

This happened right in front of me.  And the comeback that followed was awesome.  Kollar getting tackled in the goal crease in OT to secure the win for St. Cloud was not. :angry:

I was going to suggest this as well.  Some sort of joint tournament between some combination of the NCHC/B10/WCHA leagues seems like it has to be the logical progression.  Share the expense and mutually benefit from more hockey fans in one location.

For as great as we Sioux fans are and as much fun as it is to laugh at the failure of the B10 tournament, there are some very ugly potential scenarios attendance-wise for the Frozen Faceoff as well.  Picture an oddball year where UND, SCSU, and Duluth all miss the FF.  You would be able to hold that tournament at Eagles Arena.

It will be interesting to see how all of the realignment growing pains shake out in the coming years.  You would think there would have to be some changes on the horizon though.

They actually said that they were thinking of doing some sort of collaboration with NCHC and WCHA to host both tourney's the same weekend at Xcel on one of the local sports shows in Minneapolis. I think they were interviewing the WCHA commissioner. 

This happened right in front of me. And the comeback that followed was awesome. Kollar getting tackled in the goal crease in OT to secure the win for St. Cloud was not. :angry:

Had that "game-winner" been any other goal in that game, it would have been overturned on the replay. Unfortunately, the officials didn't have the guts to tell the St Cloud players to 86 the celebration, pick up their gear, and get set for a face-off.

• Upvote 2

This happened right in front of me.  And the comeback that followed was awesome.  Kollar getting tackled in the goal crease in OT to secure the win for St. Cloud was not. :angry:

Had that "game-winner" been any other goal in that game, it would have been overturned on the replay. Unfortunately, the officials didn't have the guts to tell the St Cloud players to 86 the celebration, pick up their gear, and get set for a face-off.

As the clock ticked down, and we were trailing by 3 goals, my 6 year old daughter stared at the ice and said "we have Panzer. I think we will win." Then came the rally. And she still believes St Cloud should have been called for goaltender interference.

• Upvote 1

I think I still have that game on tape and watched it again several years ago.  I think Roche pushed their player into our goalie, so I can see allowing the goal to stand. Sucks, but I can agree with allowing it to stand.   It's a close call, either way.