SiouxSports.com Forum

Target Center Fail

guy-ser

The only talk about this is by people who have no idea about the contracts.

Umm...there was a news story on wcco channel 4 last night in which they had this confirmed by both the wcha and nchc officials. Yes contracts are still running, but you can't wait until the contract is up to start negotiating.

Umm...there was a news story on wcco channel 4 last night in which they had this confirmed by both the wcha and nchc officials. Yes contracts are still running, but you can't wait until the contract is up to start negotiating.

I didn't see the story.  What is being contemplated?  I can envision a jumbo NCHC/WCHA tournament at the X.  But what would they do during the off-years when the Big 10 is at the X?

One last comment on the Target Center experience....................

I buy a bottle of water at a concession stand.  The guy grabs it, opens it and hands it to me. 

I say, "I'd like to keep the bottle cap". 

He replies, "I can't give you the cap". 

I ask "why is that"? 

He responds, "because people will throw the bottle caps on the ice". 

I look at him and say, "but what if I decide to throw the entire bottle on the ice"? 

He shrugs and throws my bottle cap in the trash.

My buddy brings his own cap.  Ingenious!

Just surprised at how unprofessional the Target Center was run this past weekend, and how some of the staff seemed rude to some patrons. This in my opinion is in direct contrast to how the Ralph is run.

I didn't run into anyone who wasn't polite and professional. In fact I'd go so far as to say they were almost all, at a minimum, friendly if not outgoing. Fortunately I had a different experience than you did.

I've been going to wild games and I get to keep my cap, unless some nice concession person screwed up....

I've noticed that too.  I was never able to keep my cap at the Final Five, but I've been to a few Wild games this year and they have let me keep the cap.    I don't know if this is because at the Final Five I was always in the first level (closer to the ice) and for the Wild games I'm up in the Club section.....but I was surprised the Wild allowed me to keep the cap, since that was never allowed at the Final Five.

Filled out my survey this morning from the Target Center on my experience at the tournament over the weekend. If they are serious about doing a good job, they now know they have a lot to do. If they aren't serious, they are having a good laugh.

finally get my answer.  from my viewpoint, Stetcher wound up and tried to crank it deep but the puck ended up hitting a stachion....boom 2 on 1 the other way.  

Stecher actually shot it into another Sioux player and it led to the 2-on-1.

It is gold now, what happens when the discretionary money goes away. UND fans travel well but come on SCSU is 60 miles away and they had a very bad showing. It can't be just one program carrying the water for the league. Target center is a joke of a hockey arena. NCHC doesn't know how to put on a good tournament.

Filled out my survey this morning from the Target Center on my experience at the tournament over the weekend. If they are serious about doing a good job, they now know they have a lot to do. If they aren't serious, they are having a good laugh.

Same

It's just not the same anymore. This year Und didn't have much to play for. They played un interested. No other fan base sends many fans. St. Cloud had maybe 1000 fans there. The luster is gone. The group I go with has always attended all of the games at the final 5. Now they show up late to the Sioux games. I have a little one on the way this year and have already told myself I won't be taking the time and money to go to next year's frozen face off. If I didn't have a little one on the way, I'm not even so sure Id go next year.

Lets not get off topic here people, I want to hear more about the water bottle caps please.

That issue has been solved. Just take your own cap along. It is time to move onto another dead horse.

Honestly folks, give the Target Center feedback. Based on what I have heard from others, if the same four teams make it next year, attendance will be down from 2015 due to dissatisfaction with the Target Center effort.

I would like to hear from others about their experience with the food. We tried a number of different things and very little of it was even decent. The mini-donuts were an absolute joke. It was like sucking on a rag soaked in cooking oil.

We brought in a little of our own snacks on Saturday. Getting past the magic wand test at the door was easy. Used a few of my old college days tricks.

I think it was a little better than last year. The Target Center is what it is , an old rundown basketball arena. I kept thinking, this place needs a good scrubbing. They evidently don't have an adequate exhaust system for their deep fryers. The whole place smells like burnt grease. Nauseiating at times. And hey, you get to pee in a trough!

I think it was a little better than last year. The Target Center is what it is , an old rundown basketball arena. I kept thinking, this place needs a good scrubbing. They evidently don't have an adequate exhaust system for thier deep fryers. The whole place smells like burnt grease. Nauseiating at times. And hey, you get to pee in a trough!

Agreed completely.  That smell... ick.

It was better than last year, but sitting close to the ice on a corner was a huge issue as the glass is so bad, you can't see through it to the other end.  Row K (11th row) put my eyes pretty level with the top of the glass.  I could see fine in our end, but when the play went up ice, I could only make out shapes with no chance of seeing a puck.  What was actually better was the ushers and staff in general.  They were a major peeve of mine last year. 

The wrist bands are still stupid - since essentially only UND fans come anyway, just let everyone with a ticket into the venue. There's not enough selling of seats for the other games to even matter.  Handing out wrist bands was dumber yet, as you've now made your "protection against unauthorized reentry" null.  If I wanted to sell my ticket (or give it away), I just hand the wristband over with it.  What a waste.

Agreed completely. That smell... ick.

It was better than last year, but sitting close to the ice on a corner was a huge issue as the glass is so bad, you can't see through it to the other end. Row K (11th row) put my eyes pretty level with the top of the glass. I could see fine in our end, but when the play went up ice, I could only make out shapes with no chance of seeing a puck. What was actually better was the ushers and staff in general. They were a major peeve of mine last year.

The wrist bands are still stupid - since essentially only UND fans come anyway, just let everyone with a ticket into the venue. There's not enough selling of seats for the other games to even matter. Handing out wrist bands was dumber yet, as you've now made your "protection against unauthorized reentry" null. If I wanted to sell my ticket (or give it away), I just hand the wristband over with it. What a waste.

Spot on on the wristbands. On Saturday I saw people grabbing 8 of them. On Friday they had a potential major safety issue of their hands.

The staff this year was much improved as well. Out sections usher was extremely friendly.

Agreed completely.  That smell... ick.

It was better than last year, but sitting close to the ice on a corner was a huge issue as the glass is so bad, you can't see through it to the other end.  Row K (11th row) put my eyes pretty level with the top of the glass.  I could see fine in our end, but when the play went up ice, I could only make out shapes with no chance of seeing a puck.  What was actually better was the ushers and staff in general.  They were a major peeve of mine last year. 

The wrist bands are still stupid - since essentially only UND fans come anyway, just let everyone with a ticket into the venue. There's not enough selling of seats for the other games to even matter.  Handing out wrist bands was dumber yet, as you've now made your "protection against unauthorized reentry" null.  If I wanted to sell my ticket (or give it away), I just hand the wristband over with it.  What a waste.

Actually with the wristband distribution turning into an absolute clusterfuck on Saturday the guy just held out the box, I could have easily grabbed several wristbands which several people did,  ran back to the hotel and ran off my tickets again since I assume the reason for the wristbands is there ticket system isn't complicated enough to scan a ticket leaving and recognize it coming back in.

Actually with the wristband distribution turning into an absolute clusterfuck on Saturday the guy just held out the box, I could have easily grabbed several wristbands which several people did,  ran back to the hotel and ran off my tickets again since I assume the reason for the wristbands is there ticket system isn't complicated enough to scan a ticket leaving and recognize it coming back in.

They would've had plenty of room to find a seat ;)

During the Championship game, we sat all over the arena.  Everything from behind the St. Cloud bench in the 1st, to behind the Miami goalie in the 3rd.  With Sioux fans still outnumbering the fans of the schools playing, I think the staff was just happy to have people still in the building and just kind of let us go wherever.

They weren't even enforcing the wristbands very well either - my brother and I hightailed it to the bar after Denver embarassed us, and went out the "No Re-entry" doors so we didn't get bands.  After drowning our sorrows for a bit, we returned for the Miami/SCSU game, went through the standard ticket line. When they scanned our tickets and got the "These tickets have already been scanned" line, we just said we forgot to get bands, and the ticket guy just said to go talk to some guy sitting at a table near the ticket lines, and actually let us into the arena.  We skipped the table, and just went back to our seats.

It was my first time at TC for hockey, and like someone else said, it is what it is...a 25-year old rundown basketball arena.  Good beer selection (way better than the Ralph), and we didn't eat in the arena, as there are plenty of good places to grab a bite in downtown. 

Unfortunately, there continues to be a disconnect between the NCHC and the Target Center for a lot of the issues.  TC staff are used to basketball games with a different clientele for their games.  Many of the policies implemented are for basketball purposes and changes haven't been made in that aspect.

The $97 million renovation that begins this summer will have a big impact on the atmosphere of the arena.  Yes, it's still going to be a basketball arena with hockey but it will be customized a bit more for the tournament in the next three years of the contract.

I encourage everyone who had a bad experience (and a good one) to email the NCHC about the issues.  The Target Center isn't going to change things unless the direction comes from the conference.

At the Final Five, didn't they used to bring a PA announcer from one or more of the league schools?  They should do this at the Frozen Faceoff, because the PA announcer is pretty weak.  I remember thinking the same thing last year and I'm pretty sure it was the same guy.

Our seats were filthy.  Looked like someone dumped tar down them.  Was glad I forgot my jerseys at home so I didn't get a stain on them.

My biggest issue was people wandering back to their seats and blocking our view during play, along with concession guys always blocking us