SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota v. Montana

bincitysioux

shanks didn't show up tonight at all...

sidenote...if we can't afford a video screen or two how the hell can we afford to pay at least eight ushers and at least five (yes five) police officers to work every damn game to make the same 1800 people can find their seats and that fans don't break out into an all out riot (at least 90% of the fans at these games either have artifical hips or use some sort of walking aid so i don't see a riot starting anytime soon)?  how about one usher at each corner and wow maybe no police force...might be able to get a screen or two up by 2029 or so....

I really liked Cashman and Shields tonight they looked really good.

Yep.  The young talent on this team has shown a lot of flashes (those two plus Shanks and Hooker).  Just need to continue to develop and put on a little bulk.  All 3 of the bigs have room to put on some weight.  I can see Cashman turning into a bruiser, he's definitely not afraid of contact.  They all need to work on consistency though.

Would be fun to see 6'8", 6'9" and 7'0" playing across the frontcourt for stretches over the next 3 years. 

Wow, apparently I was at a different game tonight. UND had many open shots in the 2nd half that they flat out missed- Coaching. The offense worked to get open shots- they were just missed....but I know, everything is broken. Our half court D was really very good---not coaching. We rebounded far better tonight than in other games--not coaching. We also have some guys that just need to stop giving the ball away in certain spots of the floor- thats......wait for it........ coaching. It led to easy hoops for Montana. Yes, I know it must all be coaching instead of just some execution. When they win...it's despite coaching when they lose- it's coaching. When I wake up in the morning- its coaching, when I nearly got slid into the other day- its coaching. I finally figured out how this works. Its very easy. I feel better already. :silly:

You may have been at a different game.

UND was -2 in turnovers and -3 in rebounding. When you have more height, you should out rebound a team. Why? Because the only thing left are intangibles such as toughness and technique, which apparently UND bigs are absent of. UND men's basketball teams have been consistently poor at rebounding of late, and that's attributed to mindset and, ultimately, what is emphasized by the coaching. Also, sloppy play last night led to too many turnovers. A big part of that was no organization in the half court versus Montana's zone. Need better execution but also better setup in order to better stress the zone; just passing the ball around the perimeter for 35 seconds and then either shooting a three or turning it over will not work. UND lost the fundamentals last night (rebounding and turnovers) and I'm afraid that is attributed to coaching. The lack of commonsense by some is appalling.

UND was -2 in turnovers and -3 in rebounding. When you have more height, you should out rebound a team. Why? Because the only thing left is intangibles such as toughness and technique, which apparently UND bigs are absent of. UND basketball teams have been consistently poor at rebounding, and that's a attributed to mindset and, ultimately, what is emphasized by the coaching. Also, sloppy play last night led to too many turnovers. A big part of that was no organization in the half court versus Montana's zone. Need better execution but also better setup in order to better stress the zone; just passing the ball around the perimeter for 35 seconds and then either shooting a three or turning it over will not work. UND lost the fundamentals last night (rebounding and turnovers) and I'm afraid that is attributed to coaching. The lack of commonsense by some is appalling.

Are you saying, I lack common sense?

I really liked Cashman and Shields tonight they looked really good.

I agree. For all the questioning as to why Shields didn't red-shirt, he's quietly emerged as one of the two primary backups, along with Cashman, at the 4/5 positions. Both appear to have a lot of potential.

• Upvote 1

UND was -2 in turnovers and -3 in rebounding. When you have more height, you should out rebound a team. Why? Because the only thing left are intangibles such as toughness and technique, which apparently UND bigs are absent of. UND men's basketball teams have been consistently poor at rebounding of late, and that's attributed to mindset and, ultimately, what is emphasized by the coaching. Also, sloppy play last night led to too many turnovers. A big part of that was no organization in the half court versus Montana's zone. Need better execution but also better setup in order to better stress the zone; just passing the ball around the perimeter for 35 seconds and then either shooting a three or turning it over will not work. UND lost the fundamentals last night (rebounding and turnovers) and I'm afraid that is attributed to coaching. The lack of commonsense by some is appalling.

All of this is spot on.  Every Jones coached team I have seen play has been s-o-f-t.  When a team is easy to play against because they lack physical and mental toughness that goes back to one person and one person only.  UND was easily more talented than the Griz with any combo of 5 guys UND put on the floor last night but they got beat because they "just ball" as gfhockey would say. 

Are you saying, I lack common sense?

That was not my intent.

The basis of my comment was that the stats didnt lie. UND was out rebounded and turned it over more than the opposing team. Both are fundamental and ultimately led to UND losing the game, since both UND and Montana shot similar FT% and field goal %.

UND has lacked the ability to successfully out-rebound now for awhile. To say that is not somewhat attributed to something, is well, interesting. In my opinion, it's commonsense to at least keep in mind basics such as rebounding and turnovers before supporting the coaching.

Points off turnovers is the glaring stat.  UND scored 4 points off of 12 turnovers.  Montana scored 25 points off of 14 turnovers.

• Upvote 1

That was not my intent.

The basis of my comment was that the stats didnt lie. UND was out rebounded and turned it over more than the opposing team. Both are fundamental and ultimately led to UND losing the game, since both UND and Montana shot similar FT% and field goal %.

UND has lacked the ability to successfully out-rebound now for awhile. To say that is not somewhat attributed to something, is well, interesting. In my opinion, it's commonsense to at least keep in mind basics such as rebounding and turnovers before supporting the coaching.

Rebounding and turnovers were basically even. Height similar to Montana as Shanks played very little in 2nd half. We lost because turnovers led to easy buckets and easy to guard offense.

• Upvote 1

I like how Shanks is boxing out consistently.  He always finds a guy and the boxes him out, or tries to at least.  Not saying he gets all the rebounds but he consciously tries to box out.  

Can somebody tell DeRouen how to play defense in this day and age?  The guy is way too aggressive and darn near fouls out every game.  It costs UND points at the line cause of his countless hand-check and blocking fouls.  I love that he wants to get after it but there is a point where he needs to learn to be smart.

• Upvote 2

Wow, apparently I was at a different game tonight.  UND had many open shots in the 2nd half that they flat out missed- Coaching.   The offense worked to get open shots- they were just missed....but I know, everything is broken. Our half court D was really very good---not coaching.  We rebounded far better tonight than in other games--not coaching.  We also have some guys that just need to stop giving the ball away in certain spots of the floor- thats......wait for it........ coaching.  It led to easy hoops for Montana.    Yes, I know it must all be coaching instead of just some execution.  When they win...it's despite coaching when they lose- it's coaching.  When I wake up in the morning- its coaching, when I nearly got slid into the other day- its coaching. I finally figured out how this works. Its very easy. I feel better already. :silly:

I was a few rows behind the bench.  90% of what Jones did was berate his players, whine to the officials or hang his head and pout.  I really don't mind a coach that gets after his players.  I also don't mind a coach that works the officials but he is really bad at it.  

His body language with slumped shoulders and head hanging is really bad.  Maybe he is just beaten down by this point.  I don't know.

as any intelligent person knows ...Physical strength,jumping ability, position, speed/quick and random movement of the ball off the rim/backboard have a lot  to do with rebounding.  UND really tall with hooker, terrel, estan in the starting 5 ya think these guys are 6'5"?  ....3 of the top 4 rebounders in the Big Sky go 6'4" ,6'4" and 6'6"  yup they are some really tall college basketball players dominating the boards on the Big Sky. Facts over fiction

as any intelligent person knows ...Physical strength,jumping ability, position, speed/quick and random movement of the ball off the rim/backboard have a lot to do with rebounding. UND really tall with hooker, terrel, estan in the starting 5 ya think these guys are 6'5"? ....3 of the top 4 rebounders in the Big Sky go 6'4" ,6'4" and 6'6" yup they are some really tall college basketball players dominating the boards on the Big Sky. Facts over fiction

For sure. It's a skill/knack. Strength can make a poor rebounder an average rebounder. But if you don't have the knack for it. Doesn't matter how tall or strong you are. You will just be an average rebounder.

as any intelligent person knows ...Physical strength,jumping ability, position, speed/quick and random movement of the ball off the rim/backboard have a lot to do with rebounding. UND really tall with hooker, terrel, estan in the starting 5 ya think these guys are 6'5"? ....3 of the top 4 rebounders in the Big Sky go 6'4" ,6'4" and 6'6" yup they are some really tall college basketball players dominating the boards on the Big Sky. Facts over fiction

... intangibles such as toughness and technique...

Those 6'4" Big Sky Conference leading rebounders possess toughness and are coached proper rebounding technique.

Wow, apparently I was at a different game tonight.  UND had many open shots in the 2nd half that they flat out missed- Coaching.   The offense worked to get open shots- they were just missed....but I know, everything is broken. Our half court D was really very good---not coaching.  We rebounded far better tonight than in other games--not coaching.  We also have some guys that just need to stop giving the ball away in certain spots of the floor- thats......wait for it........ coaching.  It led to easy hoops for Montana.    Yes, I know it must all be coaching instead of just some execution.  When they win...it's despite coaching when they lose- it's coaching.  When I wake up in the morning- its coaching, when I nearly got slid into the other day- its coaching. I finally figured out how this works. Its very easy. I feel better already. :silly:

I have to agree with green team on most all of this.  I'm not sure what everyone was expecting this year as we had to replace what was 75% of our scoring for the past 4 years.  We were picked 9th for a reason and we stand at 9th.  Our current players play hard and yes lack some of the basics that appear simple to us but I know for a fact they work on these things everyday in practice.  They should be intelligent enough players to bring what they practice to the game but in most cases don't.  I fully expected us to be like we are this year and to be honest think they have played better than what I expected.  Five of our 8 loses in Big Sky have been by 7 or less which to be honest they could have just as easily won with a little more experience.  I don't necessarily agree with what Jones does at times especially the 3 short guards with little or no rotation for rest but the turnovers, boxing out etc during the games falls on the players.  Next year I expect a whole lot more and the year after even more.  It's getting old that every time we lose in a sport a certain few what that coach fired.  You think teams are struggling now , replace a coach in every sport every 2 or 3 years and see what we have.

• Upvote 1

I like how Shanks is boxing out consistently.  He always finds a guy and the boxes him out, or tries to at least.  Not saying he gets all the rebounds but he consciously tries to box out.  

Can somebody tell DeRouen how to play defense in this day and age?  The guy is way too aggressive and darn near fouls out every game.  It costs UND points at the line cause of his countless hand-check and blocking fouls.  I love that he wants to get after it but there is a point where he needs to learn to be smart.

I didn't see a lot of the game but I caught DeRoen's fifth foul and thought it was a waste - away from the ball, shoving somebody near the basket - made him unavailable for the last few minutes of the game. Just not quite good enough down the stretch ...yet. 

Tonight was yet another example of the more talented team just "ballin'", playing undisciplined and getting out coached.

Seems like Jones has a handle on things though..........

This is the first head coaching job for Montana's head coach I should add to your getting out coached comment...not good

whew that was a lot of coaching there...possibly more than Jones does during the game :p  

Shields is going to provide some electricity that Nash has provided. I don't know if he can handle the ball like Nash or his range but I really like what I see from Shields. Personally. Nash has been very frustrating for me this season. He has been putting up some points but he forces shots and just doesn't seem that smart with the ball. That is just my 2 cents.

Would love to see a lineup next year of:

1. Hooker

2. Crandall

3. Seales

4. Shields

5. Shanks

Would be a fun team to watch and could be very good. Throw in De Rouen, Tyler, Coleman, Cushman all coming off the bench, and any of them with a chance to start, and that could be a good team. Just need SHAY to do a good job of coaching them up from the assistant spot.

as any intelligent person knows ...Physical strength,jumping ability, position, speed/quick and random movement of the ball off the rim/backboard have a lot  to do with rebounding.  UND really tall with hooker, terrel, estan in the starting 5 ya think these guys are 6'5"?  ....3 of the top 4 rebounders in the Big Sky go 6'4" ,6'4" and 6'6"  yup they are some really tall college basketball players dominating the boards on the Big Sky. Facts over fiction

Bolomboy is 6'9" not 6'4"

I have to agree with green team on most all of this.  I'm not sure what everyone was expecting this year as we had to replace what was 75% of our scoring for the past 4 years.  We were picked 9th for a reason and we stand at 9th.  Our current players play hard and yes lack some of the basics that appear simple to us but I know for a fact they work on these things everyday in practice.  They should be intelligent enough players to bring what they practice to the game but in most cases don't.  I fully expected us to be like we are this year and to be honest think they have played better than what I expected.  Five of our 8 loses in Big Sky have been by 7 or less which to be honest they could have just as easily won with a little more experience.  I don't necessarily agree with what Jones does at times especially the 3 short guards with little or no rotation for rest but the turnovers, boxing out etc during the games falls on the players.  Next year I expect a whole lot more and the year after even more.  It's getting old that every time we lose in a sport a certain few what that coach fired.  You think teams are struggling now , replace a coach in every sport every 2 or 3 years and see what we have.

First of all, nobody is saying we should replace coaches in any sport every 2 or 3 years.  That is a straw man argument.  Second of all, don't act like Jones just got here and deserves all the rope he wants.  He's had 9 years to put his stamp on the program and right now it doesn't look all that good.  And the players on the team are there because Jones wanted them there.  Recruiting falls on the coaches (especially Jones) and if we are recruiting soft players who can't/won't rebound and fight for rebounds and who don't play well together as a team (street ball), nothing is going to change.  Whomever is to blame, this team is soft and mediocre and I don't expect that to change next year or the year after that.