SiouxSports.com Forum

Beer

Fetch

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

I went to K-zoo for the Saturday hockey game against WMU. The Hopslam at Bell's before the game definitely tasted better than it did at a neighborhood bar after the game. It could have been the bitter taste of defeat, but I think freshness matters with Hopslam. As far as others to try, Alaskan Brewing Co. Hopothermia was pretty darn good, but I've not seen it around here lately. Is Alaskan distributed in ND?

Hopothermia is awesome and yes it is distributed in ND.  Swear I saw it other week and Harry's, but I know I've bought it in summer as well.

22 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

If we're talking beer Hofbräu is king

I love American IPAs, but it is really, really hard to beat a fresh, well looked after draught Guinness (and it's almost undrinkable if it's stale and abused) - the best are found in Dublin, especially at the St. James Gate brewery.

• Upvote 1

Souris River Brewing in Minot had East Brown and Down, loved it!  Went back after the ownership change not as good.  Beaver Creek from Wibaux, MT has a tasty Pilsner.  Went up to Hallock and tried all six of their brews, the dark is very good, the mild stout is great!  13th Ave Brewing has a really good German Pilsner.

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I prefer Hofbräu but can you really go wrong with any of the old time German breweries?

Spaten FTW.

But I mostly jumped in for the discussion of Guinness at St. James Gate vs. U.S. They make it quite clear there should be absolutely no difference between a Guinness on draft there vs in U.S. It's all brewed there and should not change appreciably in a sealed keg over a few weeks. Unless you're in a hole in the U.S. with dirty lines and a two month old keg, it's the same. But no one likes to say that, because it makes their trip to Dublin less special :) The brewery is a destination unto itself, worthy of the pilgrimage, but the beer is the same.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Air Force One said:

No.  Paulaner.  I'm a veteran of two Oktoberfests in Munich, Hofbrau is the funner tent, Paulaner is the better beer.

Augustiner was my favorite beer. Honestly, all the tents were kind of a blur, I can't remember which one was the most fun.

Friday night I had a few mugs of Boulder Brewing's Irish Blessings, an oak aged coffee stout, while watching the hockey game on TV.  It tasted amazing - didn't take on the near the whiskey tinge of some other barrel aged beers, and had a nice blend of chocolate and coffee flavors.  Only downfall, was that it was so good, that I had too many!

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I was at a beer festival Saturday that was comprised of only Colorado Breweries and left realizing how spoiled we beer drinkers are out here. Off hand there are a few that I love: Upslope, O'dells, Pug Ryan's, Broken Compass, Boulder Beer Company, and probably a couple more. Upslope Lager is tough to beat and I think they have a decent distribution network.

I tried quite a few Kolsch style beers which is sort of like a lager but with more citrus notes. Great for summer. 

The only beer that I truly miss from up north is Premium Grainbelt as it is not distributed out here and to me is an amazing "crappy" beer. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/12/2017 at 4:57 PM, NDSU grad said:

Augustiner was my favorite beer. Honestly, all the tents were kind of a blur, I can't remember which one was the most fun.

My friends from the Munich area like Augustiner.  Ayinger makes good beer too.  My favorite is the Andechs Weissbier

Nothing wrong with Blue Moon I recently bought a six pack of aluminum pints & really enjoyed it

I can no longer drink like I once could so I like to try good beer - JL Beers has a Blueberry flavored beer in bottles 9% alcohol that I like but I also always have Bud Light Lime