SiouxSports.com Forum

Weber State @ UND

Cratter

Time for more double TE

Can we go unbalanced and try to get any semblance of a running game to help out Studsrud? Please? 

I like the use of TE's and I think it is a very good option with a new QB and to just plug down the field (sounds like Bubba type of ball).  Plus they need to be good blocking TE's to support the run game.  There have been a few holding calls on one of TE's which typically means that blocking is not his strength.

Seems like we threw to the TE more earlier in the season.  Zach and Luke should be a viable option for Keaton.

Losing players has been a staple of UND football in the DI era. Perhaps it's causing the losing, or it's the result of losing. It's probably a combination of both, though.

Either way, UND can not afford to lose players, particularly midseason and with freshmen who have contributed. It's not good, any way you spin it. IMO, it's fair to say the culture change is still very much in the beginning stages for Bubba and his coaching staff. Also, need a year or two to get more recruits who were actually recruited by Bubba and his staff.

Was Bubba's staff the one mainly responsible for the recruitment of Ferguson or was Mussman's staff involved too?

He was a Muss recruit and he was our first verbal last year, committing in October.   It happened about the time we worried we wouldn't get anyone.   I had high hopes for the kid and hate to see him leave.   Hope someone steps up.

If a kid quits, he quits. Now quitting with 3 games left, 2 of them at home, there is something there. My son wanted to quit after the season last year in MN. I knew they were going to take away his scholarship. I told him fight it out, be seen, have a great spring game and we will take it from there. My son is explosive violent and VERBAL. Being verbal gets you in the dog house fast. Getting out of the dog house in D1 is almost impossible. So my son left and is here now. Leaving and looking for a better fit, no problem with that. We all have done it. But even when we leave, we give 2 week notices. leaving with 3 games left is puzzling. If it's concussion related, the coaches would understand and want you to still be a part of the team, obviously not playing.

I really wish them the best. As youths, mistakes are made. I include myself in that statement.

I assume it is an AC separation. The Acromio-clavicular joint is at the top of the shoulder and helps stabilize the shoulder. Grade 1 is a minor sprain with no evidence of separation on the xray and no evidence of deformity on exam. Tender at top of shoulder and would hurt to throw.  Non-throwers can probably play with that injury but it will hurt when they hit with that shoulder.  Grade 2 shows some separation on the xray and there is usualy evidence of a mild deformity at the AC joint (the top of the shoulder at the end of the clavicle). Those hurt when you even lift your arm and usually take 2-4 weeks to feel much better.  A grade 3 separation shows a large separation on xray and you see a step off deformity at the AC joint on exam.  It is very tender and usually treated with surgery by most Sports Med orthopedic surgeons. Have no idea what Ryan has nor when he could get back.  This is different than a shoulder dislocation.  He will recover from an AC Grade 1 or 2 sprain pretty quickly and easily back for spring ball if not sooner.

This whole addition by subtraction thing is really getting annoying. I'm tired or seeing these talented kids leave this program. I know most weren't Bubbas recruits but when I saw that Dev was leaving the team already that really made me mad. Yeah I know he originally committed to Mussmans staff but he then recommitted to Bubbas. If it has to do with injury that's one thing but judging by his tweets he doesn't seem too disappointed with giving up football. I saw he retweeted Millers tweet saying that the EWU loss was the biggest in like 60 years or something. I just don't understand why the kids that were previously here don't like playing for Bubba. Is it too hard? I don't know but that's the end of my spiel.

I think there was a party mentality when Mussman was around. Players could do what they want, show up to practice, keep their scholarship, and pretty much party for four years. That doesn't appear to be the case with Bubba, he's likely asking for a lot more than just discipline on the field. 

I know nothing, I have no insider information, just this is my take on why there are so many defections. 

I think there was a party mentality when Mussman was around. Players could do what they want, show up to practice, keep their scholarship, and pretty much party for four years. That doesn't appear to be the case with Bubba, he's likely asking for a lot more than just discipline on the field. 

I know nothing, I have no insider information, just this is my take on why there are so many defections. 

You forgot to add yell at the coach/coaches and have nothing happen to them.  

I will be concerned if players are still leaving next year.  These are Mussman Recruits and if they don't want to play for Bubba then leave.  It is a good opportunity to see what the other players can do and get valuable experience on the field.  I'm sure the locker room is much different now than before.

You are always going to have players quiting or transfering for different reasons.  It just normally happens in the offseason.  I think this is going to get worse over this offseason but we will have to let it play out.  If a player doesn't feel he is getting a fair shot to play, he will likely transfer or quit.  Even if it isn't actually occuring the perception to the player is really all that matters. 

Attitude, actions and expectations are different with Bubba's coaching staff.  That is a very good thing IMO.  If they don't want to be here, then better they leave the program.  There are a lot of other players that would kill for the opportunity to play D1 football.  I am expecting to see some other players on the roster now step up. 

Since I'm new to this board, I have a question or two that I hope some of the closer followers of UND football can answer. First, how does the number of player departures compare to past years? I understand that with any coaching transition you're likely to see some of that - but how many departures are typical, if there is a typical?

Second, how does this affect recruiting? When players with experience leave, does it lead to more juco recruits and other transfers to try to fill that experience gap? Or do you just expand the high school recruiting class and be prepared to deal with inexperienced players having to step up and play earlier than they otherwise would have? I'm sure the answer is somewhere in the middle, but I'm curious what you've seen.

I don't think we have experienced this before. Knowing our staff, they will/are going to bring in kids that fit what they are looking for and want the program to be.

The culture if the program will change. This staff is set on doing things like uniform deals, meeting with area coaches, and encouraging staying together in grand forks during the summer. Coaching salaries do not affect that effort.

Things like the IPF and improved facilities will help the players who want to commit themselves. The coaches will expect the same effort and commitment from the players that they are putting forth and that is a huge upgrade from the past.

Since I'm new to this board, I have a question or two that I hope some of the closer followers of UND football can answer. First, how does the number of player departures compare to past years? I understand that with any coaching transition you're likely to see some of that - but how many departures are typical, if there is a typical?

Second, how does this affect recruiting? When players with experience leave, does it lead to more juco recruits and other transfers to try to fill that experience gap? Or do you just expand the high school recruiting class and be prepared to deal with inexperienced players having to step up and play earlier than they otherwise would have? I'm sure the answer is somewhere in the middle, but I'm curious what you've seen.

There are always a couple players that leave for whatever reason, or retire due to injuries. Last year was the most we'll likely see but only two, (Golladay and Brown) were major losses. Long term it's better for the program because you know the entire roster is committed. Those players will in turn be better at selling recruits that belong. Those that don't will probably be weeded out better than before.

As for JUCOs that all depends on what the coaches think they have left. If they need gap filling experience theyll look for drop downs and then Jucos.

Per Tom Miller...Bubba said if players won't buy into program, better to leave sooner than later.

Pretty safe to say Dev and Casey packed it in and quit from Bubba's comments. Doesn't appear injuries were a reason.

Regarding the game, 3 weeks ago I looked at this game on the schedule in the Alerus and felt that with the way the D was killing it, and the offense was VERY slowly getting a LITTLE better each week, I figured this would be the best chance to see the Sioux get a convincing win for the first time since the 2013 opener.

What a difference 3 weeks makes.  Between the ridiculous amount of injuries and now players quitting the team, it is hard to be real confident about how we will do even against winless Weber. 

I suspect the Sioux will win.  But I'm thinking it will be a nail-biter........