SiouxSports.com Forum

The Betty Needs a Video Board (or two)

niouxsiouxfan

• 4 months later...

How about an up to date Big Sky logo?

How about higher end-bleachers?

Video boards need to be number one priority.

The number one proirity (which isn't going to break the bank) is getting rid of the old Big Sky logo and replace it with the new one.  UND never played in the Big Sky when it had that logo.  It is embarasing to see it on our court when every other school has updated their court.  Come on REA/Betty/UND AD.  This isn't that hard!!

• Upvote 1

The number one proirity (which isn't going to break the bank) is getting rid of the old Big Sky logo and replace it with the new one.  UND never played in the Big Sky when it had that logo.  It is embarasing to see it on our court when every other school has updated their court.  Come on REA/Betty/UND AD.  This isn't that hard!!

I agree, some things seem so simple to fix, is it the lack of money? 

The number one proirity (which isn't going to break the bank) is getting rid of the old Big Sky logo and replace it with the new one. UND never played in the Big Sky when it had that logo. It is embarasing to see it on our court when every other school has updated their court. Come on REA/Betty/UND AD. This isn't that hard!!

Well, I'd say most fans and recruits would notice some nice, new video boards before a conference logo change. To even compare the conference logo appearance to video boards is quite ridiculous; they aren't even in the same category in terms of financial requirement.

The UND athletic department should just update the logo appearance on the court regardless. It shows the lack of commitment on the part of the department.

Eventually, there needs to be video boards that could be used to display scores, player stats, highlights/replays, and advertisements. This is a must considering the upgrade it would provide the Betty and the game-time atmosphere.

I have always been puzzled why this wasn't built into the plan when they put up the building. From a priority standpoint, this should have been near the top. Sacrifice the leather seats for a scoreboard/video board for example. Should have been some way to chop out some cost. Strange.

Does anyone have a decent guess on how much a video board would cost? 30k? 50k? I have no idea.

It would completely depend on the specs, especially the size.  I don't remember the final numbers, but the Alerus Center budgeted more than $900,000 for video boards and HD equipment when they were looking at upgrading.  You probably aren't getting much of a video board for $50,000.

I have always been puzzled why this wasn't built into the plan when they put up the building. From a priority standpoint, this should have been near the top. Sacrifice the leather seats for a scoreboard/video board for example. Should have been some way to chop out some cost. Strange.

Because they needed to build it quick in order to be ready for the World Junior's Tournament...

Well, I'd say most fans and recruits would notice some nice, new video boards before a conference logo change. To even compare the conference logo appearance to video boards is quite ridiculous; they aren't even in the same category in terms of financial requirement.

The UND athletic department should just update the logo appearance on the court regardless. It shows the lack of commitment on the part of the department.

Eventually, there needs to be video boards that could be used to display scores, player stats, highlights/replays, and advertisements. This is a must considering the upgrade it would provide the Betty and the game-time atmosphere.

I completely agree that the Betty needs new video boards.  My point was that they could so easily fix the logos on the floor, that it would take a day to do it for next to nothing in cost.  So yes, I totally agree video boards are the #1 need.  The logos are just something that needs to be done and can be done right now.

It would completely depend on the specs, especially the size.  I don't remember the final numbers, but the Alerus Center budgeted more than $900,000 for video boards and HD equipment when they were looking at upgrading.  You probably aren't getting much of a video board for $50,000.

This one works for me. 36 grand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daktronics-LED-JumbotronVideo-Displays-PRO-STAR-224-x-288-10mm-/221717906333?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339f6ac39d

• Upvote 1

So throwing money at a sound system to try and appease fans, or show that they are doing something to the place?  Though, we all know there are bigger needs, not just the board.  But for arguments sake...  Hell, if you don't have the cash, find a sponsor (or two) and lease the video board!  It helps the most in fan experience, and helping recruit.  And, you can sell more advertising and make money with it!  I am still wondering what the Athletics Department and Marketing division are doing?  I know its a big price, $250k +, but if you are trying to play with the big boys, this is something that should have been on the radar, and someone should have figured out how to make it happen.

• Upvote 2

...  that it would take a day to do it for next to nothing in cost. 

The costs would probably stay under $25k, but you are looking at far more than a day.

You have to strip the floor, sand off the old logo and sand the whole floor so it looks right, paint the new logo on, let it dry completely, and then reapply sealant/clear finish and probably three coats of it. I'm thinking full week minimum, more likely 10 to 14 days before the playing surface is usable again. 

My point was that they could so easily fix the logos on the floor, that it would take a day to do it for next to nothing in cost. 

But, that would mean the custodians would have to be pulled from their off-season regimine of polishing the gold fixtures in the hockey locker room.  Not enough time for both.  

• Upvote 2