SiouxSports.com Forum

The Betty Needs a Video Board (or two)

niouxsiouxfan

The costs would probably stay under $25k, but you are looking at far more than a day.

You have to strip the floor, sand off the old logo and sand the whole floor so it looks right, paint the new logo on, let it dry completely, and then reapply sealant/clear finish and probably three coats of it. I'm thinking full week minimum, more likely 10 to 14 days before the playing surface is usable again. 

OK, so I might have been using a little sarcasm when I said a day.  Just trying to make the point that it would not be long lengthy process.  How long did it take when they redid the floor when they replaced the old center court logo with the interlocking ND logo?  My guess is they are most likely waiting until the new name and logo are selected to redo the floor.  Just unfortunate the Big Sky logo wanst replaced when they redid the floor a couple years ago.

You need a whole lot more than just the video board to run the thing, especially a crappy one like that.  Add in the cost of a v7000 to control the board as well as the wiring costs and additional equipment and you're spending a whole lot more than $36,000 to have a very low quality board.  Do it right, buy two large video boards, get a quality Dak controller, make sure you're making use of the HD video stream that you're sending for bigsky tv and do it right.

You need a whole lot more than just the video board to run the thing, especially a crappy one like that. Add in the cost of a v7000 to control the board as well as the wiring costs and additional equipment and you're spending a whole lot more than $36,000 to have a very low quality board. Do it right, buy two large video boards, get a quality Dak controller, make sure you're making use of the HD video stream that you're sending for bigsky tv and do it right.

No question. I think my point is that it may not be as expensive as we are quick to assume. My fear is that nobody is looking at this. Has somebody met with Dak to determine cost/options? If this number is not known, etc, that would be disappointing. If the cost is 400k - what is being done to raise money? A Plan. It's a glaring need compared to other D1 schools. Should be a priority. Hard to believe.

You need a whole lot more than just the video board to run the thing, especially a crappy one like that.  Add in the cost of a v7000 to control the board as well as the wiring costs and additional equipment and you're spending a whole lot more than $36,000 to have a very low quality board.  Do it right, buy two large video boards, get a quality Dak controller, make sure you're making use of the HD video stream that you're sending for bigsky tv and do it right.

Because I have no clue, and I know it depends on size, but ballpark on cost for setup like that?  The other main thing to consider would be location and whether or not it needs to be able to be moved/folded in to account for the multipurpose uses of the Betty.  Depending on location they are placed, it may not matter though.

Because I have no clue, and I know it depends on size, but ballpark on cost for setup like that?  The other main thing to consider would be location and whether or not it needs to be able to be moved/folded in to account for the multipurpose uses of the Betty.  Depending on location they are placed, it may not matter though.

This Video Board at the Air Force Academy cost $750,000 when it was installed.  It doesn't take an HD feed, although it looks decent enough for what it is used for.  

Meanwhile, this center hung one was about $250,000 in the early 2000's but is pretty crappy.  The scorer's table video boards cost $200,000 but struggle with live video.  Generally, it's used for advertising purposes.

This Video Board at the Air Force Academy cost $750,000 when it was installed.  It doesn't take an HD feed, although it looks decent enough for what it is used for.  

Meanwhile, this center hung one was about $250,000 in the early 2000's but is pretty crappy.  The scorer's table video boards cost $200,000 but struggle with live video.  Generally, it's used for advertising purposes.

I don't think the center hung one would work in the Betty but two similar to the first one would more than fight the bill coupled with the ribbon boards they currently have.  Not sure on the HD thing and how it affects the price, but as you stated, the feed is already there.

Idaho State is planning a $20 mill 4000 seat venue on campus. No word on video boards.

Sacramento St and Idaho have also started fundraising for a new events centers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is Portland State that is building a new arena.  Sac State students voted and shot down the plan/funding for a renovation of their venue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is Portland State that is building a new arena.  Sac State students voted and shot down the plan/funding for a renovation of their venue.

Idaho State announce Monday they will pursue a 4000 seat arena on campus. Pocatello voted down improvements to its Minidome a couple of years ago, including fixingna roof that leaks.

Sac St just announced that it will be pursing an events center today.

Idaho is fundraising for a basketball facility.

Portland St has an arena authorized and is under construction.

Floor restoration begins today at the Betty.  Sound system is complete.

Great to hear on the sound system. It would've been cool if they had multiple floor designs and let the fans vote on them, or had fans come up with designs. Moorhead State did that with their football field and basketball court and that was cool. 

Maybe video boards are coming, too. With UNI and NDSU coming you'll probably have 2 sell outs in the Betty. What a better way to impress all of those new fans and try to keep them coming back than with a new video board sound system and court design. 

I won't get my hopes up, but I thought with all the upgrades maybe they were starting to think putting more money in the Betty is a good idea. 

I would like to see permanent bleachers built onto the ends of the basketball court. I always hated the ones that they put on each end. Build something up and make it more of a bowl feel.

Don't they use the extended court behind those bleachers for practice?  They need that space.

Don't they use the extended court behind those bleachers for practice?  They need that space.

Maybe, not sure. I just never like that setup. Seemed like a cheap solution to a pretty nice arena. Been a long time since I have been to a basketball game though.

• Upvote 1

They do currently use it for practice, but there are plenty of courts around campus for practice if they really need more space.

I would like to see permanent bleachers built onto the ends of the basketball court. I always hated the ones that they put on each end. Build something up and make it more of a bowl feel.

I couldn't agree more! Absolutely needs to be done to create more of a DI basketball feel. Sooner or later,

I would like to think this gets done. Along with video boards, of course.

I couldn't agree more! Absolutely needs to be done to create more of a DI basketball feel. Sooner or later,

I would like to think this gets done. Along with video boards, of course.

As long as UND averages 1,500-1,800 fans per game, there is no need for additional seating.  With winning will bring more fans.  Need to win first then worry about additional seats.  New scoreboards are a must now though.  I have not liked the current setup since day 1. 

University of Jamestown just got a nice gift to kick start a campaign for a new basketball arena. Congrats to the Jimmies.

http://www.jimmieathletics.com/article/2433.php

Lets see.....

NDSU - new arena and practice facility

USD - new arena and practice facility

SDSU - Renovating Frost Arena

Jamestown College - Fundraising for a brand new arena (No timetable for construction)

UND is in the middle of fundraising for the completion of Phase 1 of the HPC and getting a jump on Phase 2 (locker rooms, coach's offices, weight rooms). 

Not saying that isn't stopping them from making what are realistically minor upgrades to the BESC, but UND isn't stuck in neutral.  The HPC benefits basically every sport on campus.  Upgrades to the BESC help three and to nowhere near the level of the HPC will.

UND is in the middle of fundraising for the completion of Phase 1 of the HPC and getting a jump on Phase 2 (locker rooms, coach's offices, weight rooms). 

Not saying that isn't stopping them from making what are realistically minor upgrades to the BESC, but UND isn't stuck in neutral.  The HPC benefits basically every sport on campus.  Upgrades to the BESC help three and to nowhere near the level of the HPC will.

Fully agree and that should be priority number 1 2 and 3 as it benefits everyone like you mentioned. I also don't think that should  prevent them from putting together a long term plan with REA though for the Betty. For somewhere in the range of 7-8 million you could probably make a lot of things happen and the nice thing about the Betty is you can get it started without 100% of the funds because it is privately owned.